No announcement yet.

Installing a GPS/FishFinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The installed depth gauge on my boat with the thru hull triducer has been working well so far. I had a fish finder for a depth gauge on my last boat and the depths from around my old lake were the same. If you want to add your own thru hull transducer I would not shy away from it.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

P.M me about it if you want, we install a ton, wake boat and Viking 72' alike. I personally really like the new side scan sonar transducers that Lowrance is offering but I installed a Humminbird 383c on our tige 8 years ago and it works great, just not as new and doesn't have some of the features of the newer models. I fish from the tige when resting between sessions as I'm 6'7" 245 and cant seem to recover like I used to. For the record, White Seabass are gay, not fishing.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by smitty1994 View Post
        Interesting question for a wakeboat, I've installed many on fishing boats. As far a dash mounting, you should be able to make a RAM mount work (http://www.rammount.com/). They are expensive but work very well for lots of applications.
        I think placing the transducer would be the most interesting part of the install because I would not want to mount one to the transom of a wakeboat, just because you'd have to drill through the transom or run a wire from the back storage up and over the transom. However you can mount most to shoot through the hull, you more or less use a special glue to glue the transducer to the hull on the inside and you don't have anything on the outside of your boat, but they don't function as well and i don't know how well it'd work through a wakeboat hull vs a fishing boat hull but I'm guessing it be fine.
        As mentioned by Ewok, I have a portable sounder that doesn't have the gps function and I've used it on a Mastercraft X-30 just fine. The transducer has a suction cup that just sticks on the transom and it works great. It's Lowrance (my fav), I bought it from Cabela's as a combo, it runs on D batteries, has a carrying case and come with the suction cup. I believe they sell a portable conversion kit for about any unit, if you're only gonna use it occasionally might be the way to go.
        As far as GPS functions go, if you can mount it on your dash or gunwale next to the drivers seat with open sky, get one with a internal GPS and you won't have to mount a seperate GPS module. If anything (windshield, tower, bimini) is going to obstruct the sky very much you might have to get one external GPS module and mount it on the gunwale between the dash and front seat next to the cupholder.
        Good luck with the install, if it works out well send me some pics I'd like to see how it works out. I'm sure you'd be about the only person with one on wakeboat.
        I used a portable fish finder like mentioned above. We used it fishing in our boat before we bought the Tige . On the Tige I was able to use the built in transducer by disconnecting the transducer cable form the head unit and with an adapter cable I hooked in mu portable to it and a 12V power source under the dash. IN preparation for fishing it took all of 1-2 minutes to use this hook up. Now wad the 20V any good to bass fish with. No due to wind an no trolling motor and that type of equipment would not go on my 20V. As a trolling boat for white bass with trolling sockets on the front end you could make due. In reality the 20V was only used a few times for fishing. IT is waters[ports boat and fishing off of it was a lousy compromise

Comment

Who can pick out for me the best product from the list provided in this site? https://11must.com/best-fish-finder/

Comment

If I needed a chart plotter on my boat they are all about equal in that function. I wouldn't use my Tige for "Banging the shore". Just to big of a risk with the drive line. Shelf fishing wouldn't be bad just tough to stay on station but you could drift it. I fish off mine all the time. When we sit in a cove I am known to do a little cat fishing. but all you need for that is pole and a carolina rig and a piece of hot dog. No fish finder needed. I started carrying a pole for the barracuda Brim at our lake. They love to bite nipples and can draw blood. That can be scary for the kids. It makes it fun for the kids when you let them catch them, not to mention if you get 3 or 4 of them you got lunch if you have a grill.

Comment

Working...
            X