Installing a GPS/FishFinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a GPS/FishFinder

Just ordered my first tige. it is a r20 and should get here hopefully by memorial day. I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with installing or mounting a gps/fishfinder (lowrance elite 4,or 5). I go to lake powell frequently and really like to have a GPS while I am there. My biggest concern Is if there is enough room on dash to fit one properly and best place on transom to mount the transducer.

I guess the short answer is no, not many people have done this, maybe Nobody did when he outfitted his RZ4 for Tarpon fishing. Do you want a GPS for navigation on the water? Do you want the fish finder for fishing or are you looking for a depth sounder? Does the R20 not come with that as an option? My depth finder is built into the instrument panel from Tige. You can probably get a Faria depth finder with a smaller round face that can be mounted on your dash and just get a stand alone GPS for the navigation. However if you plan to use the boat for fishing and you want a fish finder there are some temporary types that can mount the transducer onto the swim platform. Search iBoats or Cabellas or Bass Pro Shop for some of the portable fish finders.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

I have the factory GPS Navigation on the boat, Chart Plot I believe they call it. I like it because it is completely integrated with Tige Touch. I do not however have a fish finder.

Then again, most people do not fish on a wakeboarding boat.

Comment

Interesting question for a wakeboat, I've installed many on fishing boats. As far a dash mounting, you should be able to make a RAM mount work (http://www.rammount.com/). They are expensive but work very well for lots of applications.
        I think placing the transducer would be the most interesting part of the install because I would not want to mount one to the transom of a wakeboat, just because you'd have to drill through the transom or run a wire from the back storage up and over the transom. However you can mount most to shoot through the hull, you more or less use a special glue to glue the transducer to the hull on the inside and you don't have anything on the outside of your boat, but they don't function as well and i don't know how well it'd work through a wakeboat hull vs a fishing boat hull but I'm guessing it be fine.
        As mentioned by Ewok, I have a portable sounder that doesn't have the gps function and I've used it on a Mastercraft X-30 just fine. The transducer has a suction cup that just sticks on the transom and it works great. It's Lowrance (my fav), I bought it from Cabela's as a combo, it runs on D batteries, has a carrying case and come with the suction cup. I believe they sell a portable conversion kit for about any unit, if you're only gonna use it occasionally might be the way to go.
        As far as GPS functions go, if you can mount it on your dash or gunwale next to the drivers seat with open sky, get one with a internal GPS and you won't have to mount a seperate GPS module. If anything (windshield, tower, bimini) is going to obstruct the sky very much you might have to get one external GPS module and mount it on the gunwale between the dash and front seat next to the cupholder.
        Good luck with the install, if it works out well send me some pics I'd like to see how it works out. I'm sure you'd be about the only person with one on wakeboat.

Comment

I use a phone app called Lakemaps for GPS and topography readings, it works perfectly. Only drawback is that it needs a cell signal to work, not sure if you get one at Powell.

Comment

I installed one on my boat for my trip to lake Powel and it was the second best thing I have installed on my boat. (FAE being the first/ best)
            I use it all the time at lake Mojave as well and cant see not having it when driving at night. (I use the trail feature to find my way back)
            DW
            Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

There is an App for Iphone and android or even Ipod with a GPS.

It's called makka mappa and you can download any map. once it is downloaded you no longer need a cell signal, just a gps and you can figure out where you are.

I use it for snowmobiling all the time and it has saved me from getting lost a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepdude View Post
                There is an App for Iphone and android or even Ipod with a GPS.

It's called makka mappa and you can download any map. once it is downloaded you no longer need a cell signal, just a gps and you can figure out where you are.

I use it for snowmobiling all the time and it has saved me from getting lost a few times.
                I will have to check that out. I need something like that when I get turned around (almost lost, heh) when I am on my dirt bike.

Comment

You'll love it.

Another thing that can help you though is, google maps will allow you to take and download parts of their maps onto your phone now.
                  just look in your option menu and there is one that will say , make this available offline.
                  I snowmobile alone sometimes and these things are very helpful i have found. well that and carrying a charger.

Originally posted by Matt Garcia View Post
                  I will have to check that out. I need something like that when I get turned around (almost lost, heh) when I am on my dirt bike.

Comment

I hope that you are not planning to fish from your Tige...
                    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I knew this would be a touchy subject and appreciate most of you being nice with your responses. I do know enough to know that being compared to nobody is not good. I did not opt to pay for the option of the depth gauge becuase I had one on my last boat and could never rely on it. It would constantly alarm when driving even though I was in over a hundred feet of water and had to rely on my fishfinder for depth anyway. May have been a bad install by the dealer, has anyone ever had any problems with their depth gauge working correctly on a tige. I do not think that the factory installed chartplotter would have good enough maps for lake powell, and with a add on unit they have more choices for adding external maps. There are a lot of hidden rocks and cliffs at lake powell and just want to make sure I have a good gps with a big enough screen that I can navigate at night if necessary, a hole in the dash or transom seems better than a hole in the hull. I'm not too excited about putting any holes in the transom either but if done correctly and sealed up it shouldnt be any different than running electrical for led lighting. Whitlock87 where did you mount the gps at, do you have any pictures, I was thinking the ram mount seems like the best choice. Thanks.

Comment

Ultra,

I will look for you around here. Congrats on the new ride.

I have found that the depth finder on wakeboats is generally very reliable. I had a loose ground on a Mastercraft that plagued me for a while, but after that was fixed I was good to go. I know that these boats are far from cheap, but I would not skip out on the depth finder for sure. Again, mine have been very reliable, and on the many boats I have been on, they are usually good.

They won't help you much in some places in Powell like a fish finder might. As you know, you can go from 300 feet to 1 foot in an instant...you won't see that coming with any wakeboat depth finder. And driving while staring at the fish finder doesn't always seem like a great idea.

My handheld GPS saved me navigating in the dark on Powell on several occasions. I never go without it now. I just turn it on when I get to the lake and use the path feature and just retrace my steps when coming back to the dock or houseboat.

And it is good to hear that you didn't plan on putting fish in your Tige...
                        Be excellent to one another.

Comment

What's wrong with fishing from your ski boat????

Comment

gay gay gay

Comment

Since when is "fishing" gay?

Comment

Working...
                              X