No announcement yet.

Using the Ski Pylon for pulling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason I said tournament slalom skier is because tournament skiers practice good form that allows them to hold on to the rope with extreme loads. I have heard stories where slalom skiers have lost the handle and the rope slingshots back into the boat. I know of one occurance where the handle broke the windshield. This is why at any pro ski event you might see the passengers are guarded by a net usually. I have been in the boat where the skier makes the pylon look like rubber. There is a lot of force generated by slalom skiers.

The only time I have ever seen a tube submarine is when just taking off. This is usally caused by the rider being too far forward on the tube. In my experience submarining is usually easily avoidable by informing the rider to lean back on take off. Simple enough. Also the load shouldn't last long or get too extreme if the driver is doing his job and paying attention. I still think that this load would be nearly equivalent to a newbie learning how to ski or wakeboard.

This past summer we pulled 3 tubes behind our boat all form the pylon with no issues.
    Common Sense is not so Common
    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Originally posted by zad0030 View Post
      The reason I said tournament slalom skier is because tournament skiers practice good form that allows them to hold on to the rope with extreme loads. I have heard stories where slalom skiers have lost the handle and the rope slingshots back into the boat. I know of one occurance where the handle broke the windshield. This is why at any pro ski event you might see the passengers are guarded by a net usually. I have been in the boat where the skier makes the pylon look like rubber. There is a lot of force generated by slalom skiers.

This past summer we pulled 3 tubes behind our boat all form the pylon with no issues.
      But yours is a Malibu, so you have a real ski pylon bolted to the stringers.

I am waiting for someone to go tubing while holding onto a ski handle and let me know how it goes when the boat changes direction. Not even mentioning what happens when the rope goes slack.
      Be excellent to one another.

Comment

^^^^ The rope on the right side looks like a ski rope to me...

Comment

Official reponse from Tige on towing from the ski pylon...

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13995

Comment

I never towed tubes from the ski pole but for a different reason, I didnt like the fact that the tubes pull from a lower position and the rope rubs across the vynle, also I couldnt whip the kids as hard as I could from the transon hooks, Ive pulled three to five tubes off the back transom hooks for 6 years.

Comment

I know this is very old post. But I bent and broke my ski pylon, on my 2006 20v, pulling a 4 person tube last weekend. Broke all fiberglass and bent it back at an angle. So it's possible. FYI.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, I cringe every time I see someone towing from the ski pylon or tower. Just a massive repair job waiting to happen.

Comment

Working...
                X