Using the Ski Pylon for pulling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using the Ski Pylon for pulling

So as to not hijack WABoatings thread I decided to start a new one. I was planning to use the ski pylon for pulling skiers, big guys, and pulling tubes. I have a 2007 22Ve. Is this OK or should I look for another alternative to use for pulling? I do not wnat to damage the boat or have the pylon take of like a missle.

If it is not OK what are people using to pull tubes?

Thanks for the input in advance.

Do a search for 'pansy pylon' and you will see me express my opinion on this for many years now.

Having said that, the failure rate is actually extremely low and lots of people have pulled from the pylon without a problem. Key is to keep your nuts tight...er, uh keep the nut on the bottom of the pylon very tight. If it loosens, then it will cause gelcoat cracks.

I have yet to see a single picture of the pylon causing anything more than gel coat cracks. And I have been here for a long time.

On my 2005 24Ve, I pulled off of the lifting rings with a pulley for a while because of fear of the pansy pylon falling apart, but pulling tubes from back there caused the rope to drag in the water and really ruined the ride. So I finally said, WTH and decided to pull from the pylon. Not any ordinary tube, but a 5 man water weenie. And at times, I pull it pretty hard. So despite my disdain for the stupid pansy pylon, I pulled off of it and had no problems. The things guys are doing to beef up their pylon probably cost more than it would cost just to repair the fiberglass if you ever did have serious damage from tubing from it.

If you ever tear out that pylon, please take a picture. Right now pylon damage is harder to catch on camera than Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster.

And here is a picture behind my 24V:

Last edited by talltigeguy; 12-15-2010, 12:39 AM.
    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
      Do a search for 'pansy pylon' and you will see me express my opinion on this for many years now.

Having said that, the failure rate is actually extremely low and lots of people have pulled from the pylon without a problem. Key is to keep your nuts tight...er, uh keep the nut on the bottom of the pylon very tight. If it loosens, then it will cause gelcoat cracks.

I have yet to see a single picture of the pylon causing anything more than gel coat cracks. And I have been here for a long time.

On my 2005 24Ve, I pulled off of the lifting rings with a pulley for a while because of fear of the pansy pylon falling apart, but pulling tubes from back there caused the rope to drag in the water and really ruined the ride. So I finally said, WTH and decided to pull from the pylon. Not any ordinary tube, but a 5 man water weenie. And at times, I pull it pretty hard. So despite my disdain for the stupid pansy pylon, I pulled off of it and had no problems. The things guys are doing to beef up their pylon probably cost more than it would cost just to repair the fiberglass if you ever did have serious damage from tubing from it.

If you ever tear out that pylon, please take a picture. Right now pylon damage is harder to catch on camera than Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster.

And here is a picture behind my 24V:

Did yur Spidey-Sense have your ears tingling............was only 30 minutes since this thread was posted

We tried for 2.5 years to rip the pansy-pylon out with no success.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

After seeing this, maybe I'll just continue to pull off the pylon. We did all last season with no issues, and I would prefer to keep the rope out of the water as much as possible since the kids complain about the spray in their eyes.

Comment

Six seasons pulling from the pylon on an '05 24V (up to a 4-person tube) with no problems.

X2 on the rope dragging with the lower tow point.

Comment

i used my pylon to pull my raptor blaster. it's 11' wide by 8' tall. i could only get maybe 20' of air and 10 seconds of flying time. when i hooked the 60' rope to the tower[which even the tube said not to do] i got 40' of air for a minute or longer. now thats flying high. i'm glad i didn't crash. but these tiges are tough.
            I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

I never use the pylon to pull a tube. I connect my tube to the grab bar on the back.
              I will pull a skier / wakeboarder from the pylon. (We pull two wakeboarders all the time. One from the Tower and pylon)
              Our tube holds 3 people, and if I am visiting my Nephew I can get close to 900 lbs on the tube at one time.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by whitlock87; 12-15-2010, 08:17 AM.
              Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

Have pulled from the ski pylon for 4 years (2006 24Ve and a 2007 RZ2) and haven't had any issues. We even had two high school football players ( one was a QB {my cousin about 180 lbs} and the other was an offensive linesman {240 lbs}) about 10 times from the pylon and still haven't seen any issues. Then both my oldest children being towed a few times also ** 190 lbs and 175 lbs }

Comment

We pull a Great Big Mable (4 person) with 4 kids a for the last 3 summers. We probably pull that more than we wakeboard or surf. I got gelcoat cracks around the pylor that were repaired last year. It was loose and the movement cracked the gelcoat. The problem is the nut gets loose from the force/friction of the rope going from side to side.

I just went to Loews and bought a 1 1/16th deep channel socket and then had buy a 1/2 rachet and I'll keep up on tightening it next summer.

It's a pansy, but gets the job done. Much better than the lift rings, and I would be worried to tow from the tower due to the whipping force.

Comment

That is one of the funniest pictures I've seen in awhile Tall!

Comment

Originally posted by whitlock87 View Post
                      I never use the pylon to pull a tube. I connect my tube to the grab bar on the back.
                      I wondered about doing that... it's tempting because the bar is already there. I was going to investigate how stoutly it's mounted to the transom.

Comment

Originally posted by jwanck11 View Post
                        That is one of the funniest pictures I've seen in awhile Tall!
                        I like it because he is sort of into a perfect 'X' while in the air. Nice and symmetrical.
                        Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
                          I like it because he is sort of into a perfect 'X' while in the air. Nice and symmetrical.
                          ...while the guy in back is trying to kick him in the head as he flies by. Good times all around! {grin}

Comment

I use a 12' hook up that attaches to both tie down rings and then has a place to hook your tow rope up to it for my 2 man tube. this allows the pull to be off the back of the boat and in the center of the wake. It think it is made by airhead or some tube tow rope company.

The sking you should pull from the pylon.
                            Last edited by yllw20; 12-16-2010, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yllw20 View Post
                              I use a 12' hook up that attaches to both tie down rings and then has a place to hook your tow rope up to it for my 2 man tube. this allows the pull to be off the back of the boat and in the center of the wake. It think it is made by airhead or some tube tow rope company.

The sking you should pull from the pylon.
                              That is what I use. The problem is somof these boats d-rings are below the swim platform.

Comment

Working...
                              X