Octane Boosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post

Tell that to the hole melted into the skirt of the #7 piston. Don't count on knock sensors to pull the timing out and fatten fuel. Seen it happen and it wasn't pretty or paid for.
    I read your post that went in just before mine did. It is very interesting and once again has me questioning Indmar. I wonder if the actual cause of the melted piston could have been a head gasket or maybe a bad injector. And if it really was melted because of octane, why didn’t their programming prevent it?

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post

I read your post that went in just before mine did. It is very interesting and once again has me questioning Indmar. I wonder if the actual cause of the melted piston could have been a head gasket or maybe a bad injector. And if it really was melted because of octane, why didn’t their programming prevent it?
      There was a lot of back and forth on that. I still haven't physically seen it melted. The engine got shipped to Indmar, claim denied, the shipped back to the old shop. Noone has taken the head off it yet. Really want to get my hands on as its going to be rebuildable and 575s are great in the jet boat application

I still claim it was actually a seal failure on the charger....It didn't have any knock codes stored.

Either way Indmar denied the claim because fuel sampled out of the rail was 90.5 octane and excessive water in fuel in PPM.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post

There was a lot of back and forth on that. I still haven't physically seen it melted. The engine got shipped to Indmar, claim denied, the shipped back to the old shop. Noone has taken the head off it yet. Really want to get my hands on as its going to be rebuildable and 575s are great in the jet boat application

I still claim it was actually a seal failure on the charger....It didn't have any knock codes stored.

Either way Indmar denied the claim because fuel sampled out of the rail was 90.5 octane and excessive water in fuel in PPM.
        That's crazy. I wonder how much water was in it and how much Indmar calls excessive? Hard to believe they scoffed at 90.5 octane. Maybe the water content drops the octane rating? While water in the fuel is not Indmars problem, it's unlikely it got there because of the customer.

One thing is for sure, if I ever have an Indmar motor go bad while under warranty it will go to a third (independent) party who are experts on the 6.2 for diagnosis that will be fully video documented. All fluids will be lab tested for content. All of that will be for the inevitable court case that would come.
        Your old customer needs to lawyer up, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post

That's crazy. I wonder how much water was in it and how much Indmar calls excessive? Hard to believe they scoffed at 90.5 octane. Maybe the water content drops the octane rating? While water in the fuel is not Indmars problem, it's unlikely it got there because of the customer.

One thing is for sure, if I ever have an Indmar motor go bad while under warranty it will go to a third (independent) party who are experts on the 6.2 for diagnosis that will be fully video documented. All fluids will be lab tested for content. All of that will be for the inevitable court case that would come.
          Your old customer needs to lawyer up, I think.
          Dealer owner ate the cost. I think boat owner could have got it covered under insurance though as well(purchasing bad fuel from a marina).

Water PPM was 5 times the acceptable threshold.. that was with the fuel water separator that had been getting changed during oil changes

Comment

Okay. For those following this I have a couple solutions that I wanted to share.

1- at lake Powell you can get 91 octane at both Halls Crossing up north and at Antelope Point at the south end of the lake

2- Sunoco sells a five gallon can of their 110 octane racing fuel (unleaded version). I will pick up a couple cans so that when I’m in a pickle I can add it to lower octane fuel to supplement

appreciate all the advice. I would have probably poured a bunch of money down the drain with boosters.

Comment

Working...
            X