Octane Boosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Octane Boosters

So we just upgraded from our 2006 24ve to a 2021 25zx and see that we are supposed to use 91 octane fuel at a minimum. That is fine off the water but at Powell I can’t get 91 at most marinas. What do you all recommend for octane boost?

thanks

Originally posted by 25cents View Post
    So we just upgraded from our 2006 24ve to a 2021 25zx and see that we are supposed to use 91 octane fuel at a minimum. That is fine off the water but at Powell I can’t get 91 at most marinas. What do you all recommend for octane boost?

thanks
    No octane booster will get you from 89 to 91. You will just have to plan accordingly or haul fuel. Absolutely do not run less than 91. You can get pre detonation that can melt a piston head and Indmar will deny the warranty claim.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post

No octane booster will get you from 89 to 91. You will just have to plan accordingly or haul fuel. Absolutely do not run less than 91. You can get pre detonation that can melt a piston head and Indmar will deny the warranty claim.
      The draw backs of super chargers... (or do they require 91 on the big natural raptor too?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

must be a blower motor. my n/a 400 was 89octane.

octane boosters are pretty much a waste of money. lots of studies in the car industry you can google.
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post

So freeheel what do you recommend? It’s an 80 gallon tank and I don’t have enough VP cans to fill it while on the water.

Have you found anything to be helpful so as not to run below the 91? Mix in racing fuel?

thanks.

Comment

I remember reading somewhere indmar doesnt recommend running octane booster.

For racing fuel I don’t think you want to mix leaded with unleaded fuel. How long are you going to be out on powel? If it’s only for the weekend I would start with a tank of 94 and fill it with 87 when it gets to 60%.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
              I remember reading somewhere indmar doesnt recommend running octane booster.

For racing fuel I don’t think you want to mix leaded with unleaded fuel. How long are you going to be out on powel? If it’s only for the weekend I would start with a tank of 94 and fill it with 87 when it gets to 60%.
              I couldn’t find anything from Indmar in regard to octane boost.

Many times we are on Powell for 7 days. Tough to mix enough.

I can pull some VP cans here and there but trying to see if something like Boostane Marine is helping others.

thanks for the reminder that most racing fuel has lead. That would definitely be a poor decision.

Comment

I'm glad I saw this. We are on Powell several times a year. Looks like one more reason to keep my 24Ve.

Comment

Someone recently posted on FB that the Indmar manual says 89. I distinctly remembered that the sticker on our 23ZX indicated 91.

F79995EA-56C8-4E69-A719-253BFA4EBBEF.jpeg

Comment

Here’s the sticker on the boat. Perhaps Kool Aid can clear this confusion up?

769163A3-516A-4371-9B80-4AF826ABAA19.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by 25cents View Post

So freeheel what do you recommend? It’s an 80 gallon tank and I don’t have enough VP cans to fill it while on the water.

Have you found anything to be helpful so as not to run below the 91? Mix in racing fuel?

thanks.
                      Short of simply running the recommended 91-93 Octane that Indmar specs I have no suggestions. If you have any failure that they suspect pre detonation to be the issue(which they've seen a fair amountnof at this point) they well send a sample of fuel out of the rail to an oil analysis lab. If the octane comes back below 91 they will deny any warranty claim. They will also deny if the amount of water in parts per million is too high in the sample.

Have seen one engine that had issues and octane in the sample sent came back at 90.5 octane and Indmar used that as grounds to deny the warranty claim.

Comment

I have that same sticker next to my fuel filler. I also have an 89 sticker on my engine cover. So there’s that.

One thing to note is that at altitude you don’t need to run ashigh of an octane rating as you do at see level. So if Tige wants you run 91 at sea level you can run 87/89 at Powell and expect the same, safe performance.

One other thing to note is that the sticker says for optimum performance run 91+. It does not say to avoid engine damage run 91+. No matter what fuel you run the engine will detect knock and retard timing as appropriate. When this happens you loose HP and your performance drops. Running higher octane helps limit knock so the engine can keep or increase timing to increase HP.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                          I have that same sticker next to my fuel filler. I also have an 89 sticker on my engine cover. So there’s that.

One thing to note is that at altitude you don’t need to run ashigh of an octane rating as you do at see level. So if Tige wants you run 91 at sea level you can run 87/89 at Powell and expect the same, safe performance.

One other thing to note is that the sticker says for optimum performance run 91+. It does not say to avoid engine damage run 91+. No matter what fuel you run the engine will detect knock and retard timing as appropriate. When this happens you loose HP and your performance drops. Running higher octane helps limit knock so the engine can keep or increase timing to increase HP.
                          Great point about sea level octane rating compared to elevation. Always wondered why the only on lake gas with 91 is at Halls. Makes a little more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post

Tell that to the hole melted into the skirt of the #7 piston. Don't count on knock sensors to pull the timing out and fatten fuel. Seen it happen and it wasn't pretty or paid for.

Comment

Anyone use any octane boost that is halfway decent and safe???

I have seen decent reviews for Boostane Marine but I can’t find anyone using it in a 575 Raptor.

Appreciate the knowledge on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X