What’s the next big thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
    Oil may make the world go round today, but that has nothing to do with 30 years from now. What's the percentage of 30 year old cars as daily drivers today? In Washington state they have banned gas in 2030 MY vehicles. That's just 8 years away. I believe GM said they wont have a gas motor by 2030. I'd guess the others are close to that as well. When that happens the demand for gasoline will drop right away. Corner gas stations will start pulling out their pumps and replace them with rapid chargers. Then phase them out all together. You'll be stuck buying drums of 91 like we buy race gas now. Imagine towing your Raptor powered Tige to the weekend house with 3-4 drums of fuel in the back of your truck because the marina dock only has rapid chargers now.
    Do you really think this wont be closer to reality in 30 years? Everything will be battery powered. But's that good. You'll still be able to use your pager.
    That is only in those crazy Democrat states. lol

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post

It may be closer to reality in 30 years, but when I am 82, I don't think marina charging stations will be a priority for me. In the meantime, I will keep laughing at the WAY overpriced Nautique with 2-3 hours of use before needing a charge. I am all for positive change, but I am also grounded in reality.
      Ain't that the truth!!! I do not see how they get that money for those G boats.

Comment

What is the space cost of gas v electric boats? Does going to electric free up space for storage/more ballast? Seems like an electric motor would be smaller, no need for a transmission for fwd/rev? Still need the vdrive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The electric motor is usually smaller, but based on loading I would think it would take the place of the transmission and still use a v-drive. The electric car I'm building right now uses 5 Tesla batteries that are about 22x14x3 inches. As I recall they weigh about 50 each. Tesla uses 16 of these in at least some of their cars to get the 300 mile range. I'm planning on about 100 with my 5 batteries. I'm not sure of the dimensions of a 60 gallon gas tank, but it holds only 360 pounds of fuel. The weight of the batteries would need to go over the trailer axles. I do like the idea of adding "lead" to them. Throw in another battery and plumb it with cable instead of hose. Just imagine the storage space with the engine compartment wide open.

Comment

Patent idea? Put the batteries on a sliding rail system and can move batteries fwd / aft or side to side......

Think about it? You could easily have 300lbs that could be moved around to help optimize pitch/roll for surfing or wakeboarding. Could even move the weight during side to side transfers...

Comment

I like the idea. There just isn’t much room at least with the way the boats are configured now. They would basically replace the fuel tank with batteries.
              They could do a second set of batteries that would take the place of the gas motor which could go on a track and move side to side.

Comment

I thought of the idea a couple years ago, because one day my wave went from awesome to no good, and I had a 120lbs person move from bow to back and wave was awesome again.....

Comment

Working...
                X