What’s the next big thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s the next big thing?

Wake boats have certainly seen huge advances in wave generation, automation and convenience technologies in recent years. But seems as though since about 2016 or so things have been pretty much the same except for small tweaks here and there. My 2018 RZX2 is not much different than a brand new model at the end of the day. So not much incentive to upgrade just yet.

Anyone have any ideas of what will be the next big leap forward in wake boat design that propels the industry forward and makes my 2018 model finally feel old? Or have these boats gotten so good in recent years there’s not much room for major improvement any time soon? Maybe just a focus on faster fill times, better user interfaces (already pretty darn good), better reliability, etc???

The next big push will be electric motors, just like in the auto industry. I do think the new go system was a huge step forward for Tige, the GSA tabs and now the new Tige tabs make a huge difference in the wave.

Comment

I believe you will see the thruster market open up with more vendors offering it, and subsequently a more reasonable price point. We have one on our 2020 23ZX and I am a HUGE fan. I have heard the responses over and over again of "Why would I pay all that money, I know how to drive a boat", and I get it. My response though has been "Ever drive a car without power steering? Sure, it's possible... but why would you want to if power steering is available?"

Comment

What about a better version of the SOLO ski machine (https://www.toysforbigboys.com/solo-...kiing-machine/). I think I saw something like this a decade or so ago on a commercial but it never took off. Maybe some way to increase ballast and make a personal surf machine? Just a thought.

Comment

Between Montarra, Avalon, and who knows who else there seems to be a push for surf pontoons(though they are really just aluminum bottomed deck boats not toons). Will have to see if it takes off. Also wouldn't be surprised to see some cabin cruisers try to play crossover games to increase their market share.

I've still been waiting for variable running surfaces and 2 speed transmissions. One of those is a lot easier than the other lol.

Comment

Diesel engine would be nice with all the weight these boats are carrying these days.

Comment

Originally posted by maxrider View Post
              Diesel engine would be nice with all the weight these boats are carrying these days.
              You can option a Yanmar diesel on G series Nautique

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post

You can option a Yanmar diesel on G series Nautique
                Does it get substantially better GPH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

From what I heard the promo g23 last year with the yanmar diesel did over 50 hours in less than 3 tanks of gas. Around 4gph. Surfing at extremely low rpm, as well the service intervals is 250 hours. You are looking at a 40k option unfortunately.

Nautique has also started producing fully electric boats as well.

From your 2018 I do believe there has been big improvements over the last 3 years. The top tier boats have gotten absolutely massive and the surf waves have also improved tremendously.

You could similarly compare it to a diesel truck from 10 years ago. You could get just about every basic piece of tech and performance was great but manufactures have added in tons of creature comforts as well as performance. The boating industry is doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by BrentP View Post

Does it get substantially better GPH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    As bsreid said, I have also seen the claim of 4GPH but turning at 3800 RPM with 75% load(advertised #s) I don't buy those numbers but even if they are correct at a 40k upcharge you are going to have to burn a lot of fuel to see a ROI. Also, diesel turning 3800 RPMs is typically considered high for sustained use, though I'm sure the engineering dept at Yanmar has accounted for this.

There's a few other things that make me curious about it....supposedly its not running DEF/SCR. So in my mind it has to be running at least DPF. Inland marine has to meet emissions standards as far as I know unless there is strictly an exemption for diesel, but Indmar, Ilmor, and PCM have all had to meet CARB emissions so.

For guys that marina store/slip/have their own docks I'd bet finding a fuel dock with diesel will be difficult as well.

There's the whole warranty/service part that makes me wonder as well, but I'm going to leave that one alone.

Comment

Yah freeheel, you an bsreid both hit on the core of my question. I think there are like 2 marinas on Travis that do Diesel, and frankly 40grand uplift is a complete joke. That’s probably not worth it unless you are 8 hours a day surfing 5 days a week, then depreciation is going to kill you before gas ever catches up

Next.

Comment

Yanmar is the largest marine diesel manufacturer out there, they are also known to make a very well built engine. I know of a handful of dealers super close to me as well so it’s not as if the technology is anything new. They are also very big in Asia where diesel is more common especially when used with yachts.

Are you sure it’s turning 3800rpm?? I thought it was somewhere around 2800. Friends of mine were at the launch event with Nautique as well flew out to Japan to meet with the company. Everything Ive heard has been very impressive. Yes there are the downsides of diesel for some on smaller lakes without diesel.

40K for a diesel is too much but 10k for a thruster isn’t??

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                          40K for a diesel is too much but 10k for a thruster isn’t??
                          To be fair, thrusters are available at less than 1/2 of that.
                          Last edited by D&P Powell; 04-26-2021, 08:24 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post

To be fair, thrusters are available at less than 1/2 of that.
                            Yes very true. Just had it in my head as I’ve been looking at new tiges and in Canadian it’s a 10k option.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                              Yanmar is the largest marine diesel manufacturer out there, they are also known to make a very well built engine. I know of a handful of dealers super close to me as well so it’s not as if the technology is anything new. They are also very big in Asia where diesel is more common especially when used with yachts.

Are you sure it’s turning 3800rpm?? I thought it was somewhere around 2800. Friends of mine were at the launch event with Nautique as well flew out to Japan to meet with the company. Everything Ive heard has been very impressive. Yes there are the downsides of diesel for some on smaller lakes without diesel.
                              That's just what I saw on River Dave's and PN. Ifnyou Google specs for Yanmar 8LV all their peak numbers are at 3800 RPMs. Fuel curve charts on spec sheet show well over aforementioned 4GPH. Closer to 10GPH.

I have a hard time getting teaching techs how to use Diacom and use the tools within Diacom like a cylinder drop test to diag a dead hole. Couldn't imagine dealing with tier 4-5 diesel tech. I bet pulling injectors is a at least a 4 hour job.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X