No announcement yet.

Kyle's 24V Ballast Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to de-skin the panel and cut it first. Once the vinyl skin is back in place, pie-cut the vinyl, fold the pieces to the back and staple them. Keeps the vinyl from creeping out from under the switches. If you cut a square hole out of the vinyl, it will come out from behind the switches.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      You need to de-skin the panel and cut it first. Once the vinyl skin is back in place, pie-cut the vinyl, fold the pieces to the back and staple them. Keeps the vinyl from creeping out from under the switches. If you cut a square hole out of the vinyl, it will come out from behind the switches.
      Thanks Mike, that sounds like a very clean way to do it! I am hoping to give this a shot tomorrow.

Comment

Got my switch place cut and mounted - my first ever work on upholstery and it really was not as hard as I thought it would be. I had to trim off a bit of material with my dremel even after making my initial rectangle cuts in order for the switch plate to be level with the floor though. My jigsaw skills are not the best. Overall though the fit is tight and I think it will work just fine.

Also ran my first fill line but I've got a lot more plumbing to go!

IMG_5763.jpg
        IMG_5765.jpg
        IMG_5767.jpg
        IMG_5768.jpg
        IMG_5773.jpg
        IMG_5774.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
          I'd put the switches right above your storage net.
          Re: Moving your battery, I turned mine so the long side was front to back instead of side to side. I was able to fit two on the port side and a third on the starboard side by moving the taps pump over a tad. I'm not sure how much room you have back there though as I'm not familiar with the layout on the 24V.
          Jetdriver - what model is your boat? It looks like you have more room between the battery's than I do (see below). I am also going with aerator pumps so I will need to fit a drain pump back there. I wonder if I can run the hose between the battery's and if it would be okay to have the pump behind the actual batteries. I wonder if that would work or if that would interfere with the pumps ability to drain the bag.

IMG_5769.jpg
          IMG_5770.jpg

Comment

I have a 22Ve, and also managed to put an aerator drain pump in between the batteries. I had to take the batteries out and move a mounting plate over, then put the batteries back in. This picture was taken just prior to installing the pump. I just had to clean up the wires a bit, but that was all the room I needed.

Comment

^What KB said, I've got an 07' 22VE. I'm running reversible pumps so a little different system but you should be able to make plenty of room by pulling the batteries out and moving the trays around. Switch mount came out good!

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                Word of caution:

Running your batteries backward like yours on the left can cause weird things to happen. If it's your cranking battery it can make your engine run backwards. If it's your radio battery it can make your songs play backwards. I'm guessing this was your plan all along and that you are a country fan and trying to get either your dog, truck, or boat back from her.
                It actually says "Back in black", an ode to AC/DC you just can't see the whole sticker. That's why I bought that battery, I figured I'd get extra juice outta it

Comment

Does anyone have any special tips or tools they use to run the bow fill line? I battled with this for a couple hours tonight and had no luck.

I have a hole drilled in the starboard midship locker and the hole is is angled towards the stern. I have then tried to push the hose through the angled hole back above the fuel tank towards the stern. No luck there. It looks like the hose is getting stuck in front of the fuel tank. I then tried to run the hose from the stern towards the bow on top of the fuel tank. I can see the hose through the hole in the midship locker but i cannot grab it. I think I would need to drill a much larger hole (like 3 inch or more) in order to reach down with needle nose to grab it. I don't want to do this though as It wouldn't look right and I'd be worried that big of hole would cause structural issues?

Thanks for any tips or help with this!

-Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by kjohnson709 View Post
                    Does anyone have any special tips or tools they use to run the bow fill line? I battled with this for a couple hours tonight and had no luck.

I have a hole drilled in the starboard midship locker and the hole is is angled towards the stern. I have then tried to push the hose through the angled hole back above the fuel tank towards the stern. No luck there. It looks like the hose is getting stuck in front of the fuel tank. I then tried to run the hose from the stern towards the bow on top of the fuel tank. I can see the hose through the hole in the midship locker but i cannot grab it. I think I would need to drill a much larger hole (like 3 inch or more) in order to reach down with needle nose to grab it. I don't want to do this though as It wouldn't look right and I'd be worried that big of hole would cause structural issues?

Thanks for any tips or help with this!

-Kyle
                    I used a plumbing snake with a thin diameter rope attached (about the diameter of a chalk line). I fed the rope from the bow, along the fuel tank to the back. once the rope was at the back I disconnected the plumbing snake and attached the rope to the hose with a ton of knots, duct tape, etc. Then I used the rope to steer the hose back towards the hole. I wasnt able to use the rope to bend the hose up through the floor, but it got me close enough to reach in with a pair of needle nose pliars to help coax the hose up through the hole. The coaxing was kind of a pain, but I managed to get it through. Maybe if I would of used the rope to pull the hose from the bow to the rear it would of been easier.

Comment

I have found that removing the bilge vent hose from its hole, allows me to reach the end of the hose and guide it up through its hole.
                      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks guys, I will try these techniques this evening. Sounds like both of you run the tube from the stern to the bow as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another option instead of moving the batteries is to 90 to the left toward the motor and lay your pump there like below...if you got the room. I've reconfigured my pumps since and cleaned it up a bit but this gives you an idea. I also added a third battery and had to turn them to get all three in there so going between the batteries was no longer an option.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I used a long screwdriver to guide the end of the pipe into the hole from the stern. Took two people though. Like Chpthril said pull those vent hoses out of the floor and you'll be able to get at it better. You may be able to get the hose over the front of the tank that way. If you can feed from the bow to stern it's easier.

Comment

I was able to get a lot done today! I got home from work at 3pm and worked until dark. I finally got the bow fill line ran using the tips you all gave! I also got my connections hooked up to my drain/vent thru-hulls and was able to run all of my fill and vent lines. I also stole the deck plate idea from Jetdriver so that I can have easy access to my ball valves (this idea seems genius!).

My goal is to run my drain lines and pumps tomorrow and hopefully work on the electrical this weekend! Let me know what you guys think!

IMG_5793.jpgIMG_5794.jpgIMG_5795.jpgIMG_5796.jpgIMG_5797.jpgIMG_5798.jpgIMG_5799.jpgIMG_5800.jpgIMG_5802.jpgIMG_5803.jpg

Comment

Guys,

I wanted to also ask a few questions on the drain pumps and wiring...

Drains:

1) do I need to "mount" the drain pumps to the floor or side wall of the boat in any way or are the pumps secure enough with the hoses on each end?
                                2) With my dual aerator bow sac drains - do most people place the pumps in the bow compartment and then run the hose up the side and down into the midship area (same as fill and vent)? Or do I drill small holes in the divider between the bow and mid ship and then run the drain line from bow to the midship locker and then up to the drain hole? Would drilling holes in that barrier between the midship and bow cause any structural issues or is this not recommended at all?

Electrical:

1) What sort of connectors should I use to connect the pumps to my wire?
                                2) Where do the fuses go?
                                3) Do I need any special connectors to hook into the actual switches?
                                4) I am assuming I should solder everything?

Thanks guys,
                                Kyle

Comment

Working...
                                X