Kyle's 24V Ballast Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kyle's 24V Ballast Thread

Finally getting automated!!!! I just pulled the trigger and ordered all the parts needed from Mike (Chpthrill) to install three sacs. I decided to go with an atwood airator pump set up over the reversible set up after weighing all the pros and cons. I am super stoked to get this installed! No more filling one sac at time with my portable pump and no more having to run all over the boat to get everything set up!!!!

I am a little nervous about drilling and concerned about the electrical because other than replacing outlets in my house I have very little electrical experience.

But...with all the ballast threads on this site and the help and support I have already gotten from Mike - I am going to try and tackle the install myself!!!!

I hope to use this thread to document the progress and seek help when needed!

Thanks all,
    Kyle

Too bad you can't show it off at the reunion..

Comment

I'm about a week ahead of you! My care package from Mike is in transit!

Comment

Nice GzeroX5! I am very excited.

Boone - yes, I don't think I am going to be able to very much time off this year.

Comment

Why did you decide with aerator. I am going to do mine this year. Hopefully in next month or so. I wanted to go with reversible for simplicity sake.

Comment

Hi Boone, Mike weighed out all of the pros and cons for me. I'll do my best to explain.

I choose the Atwood 1200GPH pumps with dual 800gph drain pumps for the bow sac. I choose this over the reversible pumps because:

1) they cost of the kit is overall a little cheaper (a couple hundred I think)
            2) the airator pumps can run dry all day long with no damage (This was my biggest worry with the reversible pumps - if we were hanging out in a cove or at a beach someone would hit a switch on the helm by accident and I wouldn't notice until we got in the boat to leave and something might already be broken). I usually have a large group on the boat as well and people bump my switches all the time.
            3) The airator pumps fill slightly faster than the reversible pumps
            4) The airator kits drain out of the side of the boat rather than back through the thru-hull below the water line. I've always liked the idea of seeing and hearing the water drain over the side. It reminds me of a 1976 Campbell speedboat my dad had when I was growing up. The bildge on that boat ran all the time and we would make jokes about the boat having to go to the bathroom.
            5) I also have 3 or 4 of the Tsunami manual pumps laying around my garage that I have accumulated. I bought most of my ballast bags off craigslist and most came with a manual pump. My thought was if one of the atwood/Tsunami pumps broke I could cannibalize my portable pumps to fix it rather than buy a new reversible pump for a few hundred.

That being said the reversible pump set up does offer less plumbing, an easier install and nearly just as fast filling (no major difference in the time it takes to fill an average fat sac.). I am pretty sure all new boats have reversible pumps but I guess I am old school.

Hope this helps! I would definitely recommend ordering everything through Mike - His prices are great and he is very helpful!!!

Comment

Kyle,

I did my ballast last year on the Ve, if you need any help shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to come down and help out if you need the extra set of hands. Least I could I do for the free speakers!!

I was worried about the wiring as well until I got started and once I had it all planned out I thought it was the most fun piece of the install.

Don't stress the thru-hull's. Once you do one, the next 6 are easy LOL.

if you don't have a heat gun and vasoline....go and invest in them before you start trying to put fittings in.

Have fun with the install, give me shout if you need any help.
              My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Hi Brad, I am not sure what you mean when you say "free speakers." Perhaps you have me confused with another Kyle. But anyway, I may take you up on this and I would surely make it worth your while (money, food, a few of my home brews, etc.). I do have a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight. I bought it when I installed some graphics. I will keep you posted for sure! Thanks for the offer!

Comment

I did my 22VE last year as well. Its one of the best things you will ever do to that boat. Compared to throwing the pump overboard to fill a side, it is soooooooooo much better! I also chose to go with the aerators. If you switch from regular to goofy surfers I would recommend a reversible transfer pump between the two rear sacs. It cuts the time switching between sides in half. It also speeds up the initial fill and the final drain as well. When I fill the port side, I will also fill the starboard and use the transfer pump to fire the water over to the port side, so it fills twice as fast, if that makes sense.

Looking forward to following your install.

Comment

A good trick I found for putting hoses on was using boiling water to heat the hoses. Just my can't wait to see your progress

Comment

Thanks guys fir the tips! I am excited to get this going.

Comment

The supplied below-waterline sealer will work great for the hose to fitting lube.

I like to use a heat gun because i can make my connections right there in the boat. No climbing in and out.

Electrical wont be too bad, 12V DC is pretty straight forward.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

And if I can install a ballast system, anyone can
                          Let it be!!!

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Got the last of my parts for my install from Mike yesterday. I am going to hopefully get the boat all opened up this week after work and hopefully drill the holes!!!

Comment

If you need a rapid answer, call or text, as thats the quickest way to get me. Dont hesitate to share the Q and A here as well. if its not a pressing questions, email or post here and we'll get it answered.
                              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
                              X