X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting Bracket

Bottom Bracket.jpg

Comment

Just a picture of the overall layout of the deck for reference. The other lines are a wooden test deck I did at the end of the season, just for my reference. It was a similar shape that Ragboy used on his 24v.
      I did not preserve the classic RZ2 shape only because I wanted the best wave. I thought that it couldn't be achieved unless I changed it, so I did.
      *note* The mounting brackets are not necessarily even from side to side when taking your measurements you have to account for that in your layout.

Layout overview.jpg

Centre Measurement with increments the pen points to the one used.

Centre Measurement.jpg

Left hand side of deck with increments.

Left side measurement.jpg

Close up of the layout.

Overview closeup.jpg

Drum pad layup for reference

Snare Drum pad measurement.jpg
      Last edited by tigeunrest; 12-04-2015, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Before laying up the fiberglass you must fill the honey comb with stranded bondo. Smooth it out with a body rasp and then sand it. I posted a picture about this before.

Comment

Before laying up the fiberglass you have to grind off the gel coat. I just laid out some tape I think it was an 1" or 1 1/2" can't recall that info. I ground off the gel coat up to the edge of the tape, top and bottom side of the deck. I also cut the rubber pad with a straight edge and tried to make a good cut on the corner so I wouldn't have to replace the deck pad right away.

Gel Coat.jpg

Gel Coat Removed.jpg

Gel Coat Removel.jpg
          Last edited by tigeunrest; 12-04-2015, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Is there a reason you guys chose to cut up instead of just putting spacers on the swim deck and raising it up?

Comment

The swim deck on this year boat is XXL, not really meant for surfing. When it is slammed it drags in the water and creates turbulence on the wave. I would say that you would have to lift it inches not just shim it up. I am sure someone has tried it maybe they can chime in.
              I actually looked at the width of the newer RZ's and Z3's before I decided to cut mine up. It works unbelievable well, I get a solid regular and goofy wave and it looks (the deck) really good too. If you have a 2007-08 RZ2 and you want to surf I would not hesitate in doing this mod. It takes a lot of time but well worth it.
              I did it in about 2 weeks start to finish. I did a few hours each day at least 3 full days of fiberglass layup. Material cost is minimal probably about $200.00-$300.00 depending on what tools you have.
              Last edited by tigeunrest; 12-07-2015, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Another option is to ask your local dealer to keep the next RZ2 warrenty takeoff from 2013 and up. They are the right size and flush bottom. I got one for $100 with a few stress cracks in it. Bolts right up to the existing brackets. You cannot use one from any other models as the bracket spacing is different.

Comment

Working...
                X