Moomba flow type design- Who's with me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any news?
    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Sorry I've had to check out for a while. Got mom into assisted living last week and the tow vehicle is finally fixed (cooling system) and now I'm hopefully back on the lake checking things out.

What is the most efficient bow ballast setup for a 24V. Meaning most weight closest to the front? I know that's probably the next place I need to go to get this working.

Comment

Originally posted by dreddy View Post
        Sorry I've had to check out for a while. Got mom into assisted living last week and the tow vehicle is finally fixed (cooling system) and now I'm hopefully back on the lake checking things out.

What is the most efficient bow ballast setup for a 24V. Meaning most weight closest to the front? I know that's probably the next place I need to go to get this working.
        Hope you mom is doing well.

Do you have bags already? I have mine under the front bow seats because 1) getting under those seats is a pain anyway so I don't mind losing the storage 2) I don't want to put it in the mid ship lockers.

I used to have two 400 lbs bags and now I have two of the W705 under seat sacs. I had the w705 sacs from when I was using them under the rear seats before the big custom sacs. The w705 is too big for the compartment but its longer so I think I get more weight with them vs the 400 lb sacs. I doubt I get much more weight than the integrated bow sac (W711). I also almost always run both front sacs full, so if I was buying from scratch I might be tempted to just go with the integrated bow sac. I have the flip up nose compartment where I store my box anchor and spare emergency tsunami pumps.
        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I see that duffymahoney runs the W705's as well. I do like the idea of a single bag with less plumbing on the integrated sac but it probably still takes two drain pumps to empty each leg. I don't have measurements with me but would even the W704 (62" X 16" X 10") fill or will it be too narrow? W705's are 60" X 26" X 10".

Comment

I see that duffymahoney runs the W705's as well. I do like the idea of a single bag with less plumbing on the integrated sac but it probably still takes two drain pumps to empty each leg. I don't have measurements with me but would even the W704 (62" X 16" X 10") fill or will it be too narrow? W705's are 60" X 26" X 10".
            I am not sure. I think I have mine go slightly up the gunnel (there isn't much room there). So the w705s are wider than the compartment but I don't think they are 10 inches too wide. My guess is that area might be 20 inches wide or so? Regarding length, my bags crisscross in the front part. So neither bag fills completely but between the two bags it fills that area full and I still have room in front of that for my anchor where the bow hook is approximately from memory, so the W704 would be fine length wise just width is the question. I used to stuff 50 lbs of lead up there too but I like having my anchor and anchor line stuffed up there.

If you do go with aerators for the drains, I had better luck drilling a hold through the wall (its stout I broke a cheap harbor freight hole saw on each side) and having the pump in the midship locker vs inside the compartment. It drains much better that way. I still have residual water because the fitting isn't at the lowest point in how the sac sits.
            Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Just to clarify, the wall you drilled the hole through is the wall between the mid locker and the forward compartment?

Comment

Fly High W711

but it probably still takes two drain pumps to empty each leg
                A single reversible will do just fine on the W711. If we build a system using aerator pumps, I like to use a pair of 800 gph, one in each leg.
                Last edited by chpthril; 07-31-2015, 12:09 AM.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Just to clarify, the wall you drilled the hole through is the wall between the mid locker and the forward compartment?
                  yes and its really thick. You can leave the pump in the space but I thought it worked better with the pump in the mid locker. It did look cleaner with the pump in the compartment though. I just had more residual water in the bag. Again it doesn't drain well anyway.

I would still consider the bow sac Mike recommends. I am not sure you get much extra if at all with two sacs. I find I like my wave with both bow sacs full but you might prefer the ability to only fill one.

Comment

Just for reference, the widest point in the front compartment is 20" wide. This is at the most aft, top of the compartment. Everything gets smaller from there as it tapers to the point of the bow.

Comment

The bow area doesn't fit a lot of weight. I run dual bow sacs and then 100-300 in lead. Depending on crew. I normally fill surf side plus some lead with a small crew.
                      Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

I was able to do some testing at Lake Powell last week and although conditions weren't ideal (choppy water) I was able to come to some conclusions about this device. I don't have pictures yet as I'm waiting for a crew member to forward them from his phone but will hopefully get them uploaded in the next few days.

First of all, it works. I had a better surf wave than I've ever had on this boat. Those who had surfed with my previous wave were all struggling to find the sweet spot initially as it is about 5' further back than before. I also think that the angle of the wave in that spot seems to be more perpendicular to the direction of travel than before. It is a different wave.

Second of all, I'm going to automate my ballast setup. Getting things weighted with the portable Tsunami was a pain and the boat takes way more water to get ready than before.

The setup:
                        Full Enzo sac in the port locker: #1400
                        Full sac in the starboard locker: #1100
                        2 full v-drive sacs in the bow: #800 - One was fully forward in the walkway and the other was on top of it fully forward to the bow cushion.

The result: pics to follow, but in text: At rest, the starboard edge of my swim deck was 4" under water and the port edge was almost exactly at water level. This amount of list seemed to be consistent at 11.2mph which is what we settled on for speed after messing around a bit. TAPS was approx. 50%. At speed, the port rub-rail was about 4" out of the water. In spite of a lot of boat traffic around us creating constant rollers, wind chop etc., I was able to keep the boat completely dry inside which is a direct result of not being listed so much as my previous setup.

So far, I'm a fan, and if I can just get the water on board quicker, my crew (wife especially) will be pretty happy with this.

Comment

Working...
                        X