No announcement yet.

24Ve maximum ballast writeup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember there are TWO parameters: Degree of list (rotation around the longitudinal axis) and draft of the hull (translation along the Z axis). You can have the same degree of list, but if the hull is not the same depth in the water you won't get the same wave. This translates to mass in the hull, which brings us back to my earlier comment: These big hulls require lots of ballast.

I said the rub rail at the surf-side corner needs to be at the waterline. But in our case we also need some ballast in the offside to bring the overall hull deep enough in the water (sufficient hull draft) to get the required displacement. As I recall, the offside corner of our swim platform is a few inches below the water surface when sitting still, due to a few hundred pounds of ballast on that side.

To me this sounds like it should be a good wave but just wasn't that good without more people. We tried some bow weight today and that just knocked down the wave so I think I need more rear weight before adding bow weight.
    Bingo - it's going to take more weight to get that 24 foot hull deep enough to work its magic. But once you DO get there... wahoo! Your "crew of about 8-10" gave you a taste of what's possible. 8-10 adults probably add 1500-2000 pounds of mass. If they're absent, you have to make that up with ballast.

Comment

Originally posted by IDBoating View Post
      Remember there are TWO parameters: Degree of list (rotation around the longitudinal axis) and draft of the hull (translation along the Z axis). You can have the same degree of list, but if the hull is not the same depth in the water you won't get the same wave. This translates to mass in the hull, which brings us back to my earlier comment: These big hulls require lots of ballast.

I said the rub rail at the surf-side corner needs to be at the waterline. But in our case we also need some ballast in the offside to bring the overall hull deep enough in the water (sufficient hull draft) to get the required displacement. As I recall, the offside corner of our swim platform is a few inches below the water surface when sitting still, due to a few hundred pounds of ballast on that side.

Bingo - it's going to take more weight to get that 24 foot hull deep enough to work its magic. But once you DO get there... wahoo! Your "crew of about 8-10" gave you a taste of what's possible. 8-10 adults probably add 1500-2000 pounds of mass. If they're absent, you have to make that up with ballast.
      Thanks for the great info ID

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Old thread i know, Did anyone ever remove the chines? Wondering if that had an effect on the wave or not

Comment

Pretty extensive work, Does anyone have pics of the lockers? before and after? I'm thinking of lining my lockers with 1/8" foam to protect the sac's.

Comment

On my 24Ve hull, the inner fiberglass surfaces were smooth enough to not be a risk to the fat sacs. In those areas where there were sharp edges or hardware, I bought a couple of packages of floor mat material from Harbor Freight - waterproof, cheap, and easily cuttable to whatever shape you need. If you need a length longer than 24 inches, the edges interlock to hold each other in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Teflonpresident View Post
              Does anyone have pics of the lockers?
              These photos are already in this thread. They're various shots within the starboard locker. The whole space is large enough that I couldn't capture it all in one shot (remember, the fat sacs are ten feet long).

Looking aft:

Looking forward:

Protecting the sacs in various places:

Last edited by IDBoating; 04-26-2020, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Started removing some things today to hopefully find the false floor, foam and some more room for ballast BUT no luck! My 2006 24ve is not built the same. Damn! Spent lots of time thinking about all the extra weight I could get in there.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril
                  Sorry you found out the hard way, the sub floor tanks/cavity did not appear until 09.
                  I should've asked you prior. Not a huge deal putting everything back but was just more disappointed I wouldn't get the extra room. I will have to save up for your custom bags now. I am spent with everything I did this season! lol

Comment

This thread is making me want to pull that foam out.
                    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Working...
                    X