24Ve maximum ballast writeup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duffymahoney View Post
    What made you decide on the batteries in the middle instead of in the observer compartment?
    I wanted to keep the weight concentrated at the transom. If it's important that the ballast be as far rearward as possible, then all that battery weight matters too. Plus relocating all components to that area kept the underseat storage area open for fat sac arms, storage, whatever.

My two custom fat sacs are almost identical, differing only in seven inches of arm length. This permits me to swap the fat sacs side to side, which keeps us surfing even if one bag gets damaged - we won't be shut down waiting for repair or replacement. My underseat areas are entirely open and can be used for storage (in "mode 1") or, with the arms deployed, even more ballast ("mode 2").

I would have done the same wall move on my boat but I needed to hide the massive pumps.
    Yes, you definitely have me beat on fill/drain speed. I looked at using the Rule 17 pumps but decided to go with the 29B's at 1600 GPH. My real-world throughput is 0.333 gallon per second, or three seconds per gallon, or roughly 2.5 pounds per second. This is with all fittings, hoses, etc. in the loop.

Great writeup!
    Thanks! Stay tuned, there's LOTS more to come.
    Last edited by IDBoating; 08-22-2011, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
      Great stuff, how much room was there under the floor to the hull?
      I can't remember the dimensions off the top of my head, but with the Rule 29B pumps it was tight enough that the one underfloor pump uses a 45 degree red bronze street elbow to gain enough clearance. I built a custom strain-relieving bracket to support the six-pound pump since at that angle it could put a lot of strain on the fittings. Photos of everything are coming as I keep working on this thread.

I've been reading your 24Ve threads too, and we're having similar experiences. A semi-pro surfer got behind ours and helped us tune the wave a bit, and when we were done he said it was the largest and longest wave he'd ever seen - even at competitions. His exact words while back on the wave: "This thing is a MONSTER!" We're having a blast just experimenting with it, let alone learning how to surf!

I think we are helping to dispel the rumor that the 24 foot hulls can't produce as good a wave as the 22's. It just takes proper design and planning.

Comment

y, the 24Ve is great with a lot of weight, exceeded my expectations. Its a bummer though that with a more reasonable amount of weight, it has so little power. That extra bit in that corner just give it TONS of power and the ability to add a bit to the front and get it super long, and still retain the power.

I am still curious if the RZ4 would respond the same exact way, I am not sure. I think the really smooth transition and the great shape of the 24Ve wake comes from the angle of the sides of the boat. The bottom may be the same, but the RZs have that steeper chevron side. Just speculating of course. The RZ2 surf wake is fantastic, but this Ve wave is such a clean shape, more adjustment, and you can TAPS out the steepness if you want.
        http://wake9.com/

Comment

I am 100% sure the rz4 would respond the same way. Just need to talk Tige into making the top cap taller and making room for bigger sacs stock.
          Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

I would think so too. I have always wanted to do a direct compare with a 22Ve and RZ2, just out of curiosity.

Comment

y, the 24Ve is great with a lot of weight, exceeded my expectations. Its a bummer though that with a more reasonable amount of weight, it has so little power. That extra bit in that corner just give it TONS of power and the ability to add a bit to the front and get it super long, and still retain the power.
              Ours has the Acme 1235, just like yours, but I'm not feeling any lack of power. How would you describe what you're experiencing? I'll see if I can duplicate it.

Comment

I would think so too. I have always wanted to do a direct compare with a 22Ve and RZ2, just out of curiosity.
                My buddy has a 22Ve and I always felt like the wave was a lot cleaner than my RZ2 but that was probably due to the swim platform.

Comment

I meant the wake. The 24Ve wake with the sacs I had before made a nice looking wake, but it lacked power/push. I really noticed it when I started inviting Dennis and then pros on our wake. It wasn't up to snuff. And if we added weight to front, it just knocked the wake down and neutered it even more.

As a newer surfer, you probably wouldn't notice that as much, as we didn't. The RZ2 was a huge jump, tons of push, and even longer when you got weight in the front.

The new setup though, is even more powerful than the RZ2, and quite a bit longer. The power of the wake is amazing.

On a side note, the 24Ve is starting to cavitate (<-how do you spell that?) when weighted as we have stated, and running in a bit of wind or chop, so we may need a bit more prop.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                    My buddy has a 22Ve and I always felt like the wave was a lot cleaner than my RZ2 but that was probably due to the swim platform.
                    If you still have an 07 platform, I would guess that is the issue.

Comment

Well, not anymore I don't. I upgraded for this season.

Comment

Originally posted by duffymahoney View Post
                        Just need to talk Tige into making the top cap taller and making room for bigger sacs stock.
                        Amen. Arch that top cap near the transom up like the bat mobile.

Comment

On a side note, the 24Ve is starting to cavitate (<-how do you spell that?) when weighted as we have stated, and running in a bit of wind or chop, so we may need a bit more prop.
                          Ah... I think I understand what you're talking about now. I've noticed "something" when I'm fully ballasted. Not a lack of power per se, which is why I didn't understand what you meant earlier, but more like a sound or feeling. It's not cavitation in the sense that I've felt before but cavitation would probably explain it.

When I talked to Acme about repropping my 24Ve, they were on the fence as to whether I should use the 1235 or the 1237. I'm not sure what the difference is. They ended up suggesting the 1235, and I was comfortable with that since many others here have had good success with it. But now I wonder if the 1237 might be the answer for ultra-ballasted 24Ve's.

Comment

you would be better off with a 1941 same cup size and blade length just more pitch. I use my 1235 most the time. Except when we really weight it down we run the 1941 and makes a big difference
                            www.1320diesel.com Home of the Fastest Diesels!
                            http://youtu.be/dEDdM0Y3IGs?hd=1

Comment

Originally posted by Wickedcummins View Post
                              you would be better off with a 1941 same cup size and blade length just more pitch.
                              Don't you normally want larger blades and LESS pitch when weighted down? Sort of the "more torque, less speed" theory? That's what happens when you move from the 537 to the 1235 to handle a lot of ballast. Wouldn't you want to continue the trend, rather than go back to greater pitch?

Comment

I will try a 5 blade next summer. I get the same weird cavitation when heavily ballasted. Sometimes I don't get it which makes me think it could be something else.
                                Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Working...
                                X