JLoflin's 21i Surf/Wake Ballast Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
    We use check valves in most all of our kits because I like the more complete drain we get. we can also benefit from them in decreasing passive draining.

1 or 2 pumps? Speed. Are you in a hurry to fill/drain? Granted, those 2 sacs will not take long to fill or drain. inside of 10 minutes on a single pump? 4-5 mins with a pump for each. Will you ever fill one and not the other? If your plan is to fill both, together, each trip out, then you could do a piggy-back type configuration. However, if you plan to fill, or the other and not both, then you need a diverter when using a single pump.

On a shallow bilge boat like these, impeller pumps are the way to go. Too risky with aerators that you might end up with air lock on the fill pumps.

What would I change, design wise? Hummm. Cleaner means of running the walkway sac hoses through the seat base maybe. In this day an age, id bet we would be setting the boat up to surf weighted evenly in the aft, rather then listed this this boat was setup. This would likely change how we did the extra sac.

Let me know if I can assist with the sacs and plumbing.
    It’s not in my nature to disagree with chpthril but, that hull surfs much better listed. I don’t run a gate type device on mine anymore. Basically the same hull, just a little longer. The wake is way better without one.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Not at all advocating one way is better then the other, simply a reaction to today's trend. Ill leave to those who have personal experience running listed and with surf devices (even though each seems to effect each hull differently) to comment on which way is the better setup. Im just a ballast design guy on this one. Ill tell you what works best in terms of plumbing and sacs, but not the actual weight distribution.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

^^^My system you put together has worked flawlessly since day one. I still have the original impellers in the pumps. The thing is, no one has the same weight placement I do. Not sure anyone ever will. The only thing I know is that every sucgate I’ve ever had on there has made the wake worse. I ran with one for awhile and got it ok. In that time I sort of forgot to try it without the gate. The last one I had I really hated and took it off and decided to have a go old school/no gate and it was everything I was looking for out of my wake. I haven’t run one since.

Comment

Interesting. I haven't tried to list the boat and have had some success with a homemade suck gate. I'll have to try to list this summer and see how it goes.

Mike - how big thru-hull will I need to supply two pumps? How about if I just went with one? If I go with one and would like to go diverter route, how would I plumb that?

Thx in advance.

Comment

I love where my vents are. I took out the useless mushroom cleats and ran the vents all the way to them. The whole system is probably over engineered but, it works just about perfect. The sacs (my own design) aren’t perfect but, with a little attention they fill completely and drain completely. I don’t think the cross venting was necessary with where the vents run to. That and I wish the vent connections where in the top center of the sacs. With them being in the corner, they tend to trap a bit of air. It’s not bad but, it’s not perfect.

Full build thread- http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...t=NICKYPOO%92S

Comment

Hey Nicky, spent lots of time looking through your build thread when I first bought our boat a couple years ago, very impressive! I had to replace our fuel tank last winter and had thoughts of trying that same setup but just didn't have the funds to make it happen and wanted to get back on the lake.

For venting - I was under the impression if I put check valves on the vents then I would get a complete drain and wouldn't have to cross vent? Correct?

What size thru hull did you use?

Comment

On a listed boat surf setup, crossing the vents help prevent passive draining by getting the vent outlet above the level of the filled sac.

The check valve prevent air from being pulled into the sac while draining. this causes the sac to raising in on itself, forcing more water out.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by mdelleman View Post
                  Hey Nicky, spent lots of time looking through your build thread when I first bought our boat a couple years ago, very impressive! I had to replace our fuel tank last winter and had thoughts of trying that same setup but just didn't have the funds to make it happen and wanted to get back on the lake.

For venting - I was under the impression if I put check valves on the vents then I would get a complete drain and wouldn't have to cross vent? Correct?

What size thru hull did you use?
                  What Mike said. The only reason I don’t think I really need to cross (even though I did anyways) is that my vents run all the way up to the windshield. Check valves just make sure the sacs drain all the way.

Comment

If I go with one pump filling both bags how do I vent the bags? I figure the smaller bag would fill first and then just pour out the side vent. I assume that would slow down the fill on the larger bag. Manually venting the larger bag isn't a great option as it will be underneath the seat. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                    X