Johnson Talulah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnson Talulah

I'm looking for a little knowledge. Has anyone ever retrofitted the stock ballast pumps with Johnson's Talulah pump. It's an 1800 GPH pump. Just want to know if throws codes or if someone has successfully installed a set. 2017 RZX3

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

2017 RZX3

Your boat is currently using aerator live well pumps, so theres a fill pump and drain pump for each sac/tanks. The Talulah Hi-Flow if a reversible impeller pump, so quite different in application. It would not be a retrofit but a complete re-do. From the intakes to the wiring.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Do you happen to know of a higher volume one way pump that you would recommend?

2017 RZX3

Comment

Surflo offers a 2000 GPH aerator, but they are HUGE. They would not be a direct bolt up, nor would they run off the existing electrical. I think the best solution may be to add supplemental pumps, leaving the OEM ballast pumps as is.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thank you sir. I was looking at the Johnson CM90 23.7 GPM but I need to see the pumps in the boat first. I've only owned it for 3 days but I know there are some things that need to be addressed.

2017 RZX3

Comment

A pump like that would have to be mounted below the water line as it has to be primed. For that, it would need to be waterproof.

Comment

Okay well you just saved me an unbelievable amount of time. Thank you for your responses today. They won't go unappreciated.

2017 RZX3

Comment

Side note, sick boat! Was in wizard when it was there and you also got a crazy good deal on it too.

Are you Okanagan based?

Comment

I'm based just out of Edmonton. I just came out of an X10 so there's a few things that I miss about Mastercraft but I'm getting used to the Tige. The ballast pumps are slow as F so that's something I'll tackle in the winter hopefully. It does throw a crazy surf wave.
                  2017 RZX3

Comment

You could possibly look at putting a T where the pumps mount to the thru hull and adding a pump. You could on the port side, the pump you add could be turned on at the same time as the starboard side so that both pumps go to the star rear (same for fronts). This way you would cut your fill time in half. I don't think that doubling your pumps to run at the same time on the same thru hull will work. The pumps can only pump as fast as the inlet will allow. In addition, you may have to add a 2nd vent to your sacs/tanks. A tank can only fill as fast as the air can escape. I would imagine that the circuit may handle running 2 aerator pumps as they don't draw significant current.
                    "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

There's a number of things that need to be checked. I did also find a Johnson CM90 aerator pump that is about 23.7 GPM and reasonably priced. The Johnson Talulah is a 30 amp pump, (Big Draw) chpthril (Mike) noted that it needs to be below the fill line and I believe it should be as the current pumps sound like they are Attwood Tsunami T800's possibly T1200's. As you said it will be held back by the size of the through-hull. Once it's in the shop for the winter I'll get very familiar with it.
                      2017 RZX3

Comment

The Cm90 is not a self-priming pump, so it would need to be mounted below water line. Its size could be an issue, as well as it needs to be waterproof, and I do not know if it is. I also do not know if its reversible. Quick glance, says no

The Talulah is a reversible impeller pump, so its self-priming.

Based on the flow rates of both pumps, the existing intakes would not support the demand. Nor would the wiring support the current draw.

The pumps on the boat now, are the T1200 and are 16 GPM effective flow rate. The standard Jabsco, used by mastercraft are about 12 GPM effective flow rate. So the difference in fill time, could be due to the overall capacity of the ballast being filled.

With a 1" intake, 2 standard pumps, aerators or impeller, can share a single intake and run at the same time. However, I do not suggest a mix of pump. The self-priming impeller pump will dominate the supply of water

Comment

I had my dealer add two fill pumps for the rear bags on my 2018 RZX3 this past winter. Cuts fill time in half. Great mod plenty of room to put the extra pumps in the area where all of the other pumps are. Two new thru hull fittings and done. Pretty sure we tossed a relay in to control all four fill pumps.

Comment

Hello Monetary, if you have any pics of the finished install that would be super awesome. Thanks for the info!

2017 RZX3

Comment

Will try and get you some pics this weekend. Will post next week..

Comment

Working...
                              X