2001 2100v Ballast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 2100v Ballast

So I just bought a new to me 2001 2100v, and I need to add ballast for surfing. I read a thread on here from NickyPoo using 2 400lb sacs in the rear , none in the bow, and a sucgate. Everyone says chpthril is the man to go to on here for ballast pricing and advice. Is it possible to fill 2 bags with one reversible pump if you use a y connector with valve to direct water to either bag you choose? Just trying to save money.

Thanks in advance!

Lyle

Originally posted by TigeLyle View Post
    So I just bought a new to me 2001 2100v, and I need to add ballast for surfing. I read a thread on here from NickyPoo using 2 400lb sacs in the rear , none in the bow, and a sucgate. Everyone says chpthril is the man to go to on here for ballast pricing and advice. Is it possible to fill 2 bags with one reversible pump if you use a y connector with valve to direct water to either bag you choose? Just trying to save money.

Thanks in advance!

Lyle
    First off, nobody needs Gumby’s set just to start surfing. If you can’t surf a 21v with 400s, you just suck at surfing. It’s more than enough to get going. You can use single pump but in the end, it’s just a lot easier to have two. Someone on here had that set up in a Ddrive IIRC. Just call Mike.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by gumby
      I 100% agree with nicky 2 400 will get you started. The boat will respond well. like I said in my post it is how I started.
      That should almost be a law: start with two 400s. It takes experience to run a setup like yours. I would be uncomfortable driving your set up just because I’ve never driven a 21v with even nearly that much weight. It’s certainly not something you just jump into.

Comment

Congrats on the boat! I have the exact same one. I set it up with 2 SL sumo 600's in the back and SL sumo open bow 750. Like gumby said, the bow bag is probably only filling to the 500-600 range, maybe less. The rear 600's leave plenty of room above them for life jackets and water seats. I fill everything when surfing and run a homemade suck gate. I feel it's a perfectly adequate budget surf setup. I have some videos and photos on my instagram (chopper515) if you want to check out the wave.

Comment

Forgot to mention that I'm running the Acme 911 prop as well.

Comment

Ok. So I contacted Mike(s Liquid Audio) and he hooked me up with the necessary gizmos to plumb in the rear ballast bags. Wish me luck there. I also ordered the Nauticurl wakeshaper. Trying to decide on what to do for the front ballast. I love the idea of lead, but my concern is traveling with the extra weight while the boat is on the trailer. Am I over thinking this or is it a legitimate concern? 20 year old sub floors with massive lead weight doesn’t seem ideal to me at all, but I’ve been wrong before.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I really appreciate the help.

Comment

Run 500# of lead in a 98. I wouldn't be too worried as long as the floor isn't soft. Just make sure you move it around for weight distribution so you don't get trailer sway. I do what gumby does, most over the axles when towing.

Comment

We also purchased a 2001 2100v and it's our first season on the lake. I've been soaking up the info on this forum to get it setup for surfing and just wanted to thank everyone for sharing. So far I've purchased 2 720 bags for the back lockers that came with the throw over pump from wakemakers. I also grabbed a bow V-sack for under the seats which I think can hold around 500 like the other guys mentioned. I have the Nautacurl suck gate as well.

This setup has been fine but I've experienced a few issues.

1. I'm not getting the bags all the way full in the back lockers because they seem to be getting a lot of air in them as well. Does anyone have any tips for venting the bags or filling them properly with the sumo pump you throw over the side? Emptying them has also been a PIA where I seem to lose suction and have to wiggle things around multiple times.

2. I could not get the wake shaper deep enough in the water and it was causing a good amount of spray to get thrown into the wave and onto the swim platform. Putting the TAPs all the way down to 9 helps dip the gate lower in the water, but I don't think most ppl like to surf with it maxed out. Thoughts? I have since taken a hacksaw and a file to my wake shaper to follow Gumby's lead and get the gate lower in the water. Really hopeful this will end this headache, I'll find out next weekend.

Even with these stumbling blocks we're up and surfing, slowly increasing my time ropeless. Looking forward to continue dialing in the wave and getting that push just right. cheers!

Comment

With an over the side pump, you have to burp the sacs as they get near full. This may mean unscrewing another top fitting or stopping the pump, disconnecting it to burp the air, then continuing filling.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll let everyone know how my next time out goes, excited to try out these tips.

Comment

I wanted to follow up on my last post. Fitting the wake shaper lower on the stepdown made a huge difference. It solved the issue with it spraying water everywhere and made a better wave. I also had better luck filling the bags by loosening another plug to vent the air out. I'll post some pics of the wave eventually.

I did run into an issue where the taps seemed to get stuck at max wake 9. I could get it to go down to between 6 & 7 but it wouldn't go any further. It would work its way back to 9 on it's own. I'm thinking this was keeping the pocket a little closer to the boat. I'll have to see if I can figure out what's wrong with it, if anyone can point me to a thread that'd be great.

Thanks again guys! This site has been so helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by WakeWes View Post
                        I wanted to follow up on my last post. Fitting the wake shaper lower on the stepdown made a huge difference. It solved the issue with it spraying water everywhere and made a better wave. I also had better luck filling the bags by loosening another plug to vent the air out. I'll post some pics of the wave eventually.

I did run into an issue where the taps seemed to get stuck at max wake 9. I could get it to go down to between 6 & 7 but it wouldn't go any further. It would work its way back to 9 on it's own. I'm thinking this was keeping the pocket a little closer to the boat. I'll have to see if I can figure out what's wrong with it, if anyone can point me to a thread that'd be great.

What brand are your sacs? If they are Fly High, they offer an actual vent cap just for this. It has holes through the threaded portion, so you only have to crack it loose a little to let the air out.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by WakeWes View Post

Sounds like you are low on fluid maybe.

Comment

2X on checking fluid level. Might solve both of your issues, if not try cleaning the oring/solenoid on the pump. I was having the rising issue and that helped out a ton.

Comment

Was finally able to get out on the lake this past weekend. We located the taps motor in the driver's side rear locker and discovered it was full of mostly nasty water with very little fluid left. We drained it all out, replaced it some fresh fluid and problem solved. Being able to adjust that taps makes such a huge difference in the handling of the boat, we will be babying that little motor going forward.

It also allowed me to dial in the wave better than ever before. Having the taps around 6 was perfect. The wave was longer and had much better push. I had my best session to date with plenty of time without the rope. Thanks again for the help guys!
                              WesWave2.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                              X