Help with ballast please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with ballast please!

Okay, I recieved for Christmas a Hyperlight Landlock and went to Lake Mead and tried wake surfing for the first time.What a blast I am now hooked.
    I have a 24V and we surfed with no ballast the first time out and was able to create a small pocket but the heavier riders could not let go of the rope. Speed @ 10.5 taps all the way up(tried all positions.that was bestand 4 poeple in the boat) Fast forward to a week ago-- 8 people and @ 400lbs fat sac in port locker and four 5 galloon gas cans(with water) in starboard locker.
    Much bigger "wave" yet still a small pocket. We did put @ 300lbs of people in the bow.
    i need help dialing it in Thanks in advance Jeff

A couple of suggestions. For surfing, you want any ballast you're using to be on the side you plan on surfing on. Ideally, the ballast would be concentrated in the rear corner, in your case, your V-Drive locker. Your 24V is pretty big, so you should be able to put at least 750# in there. Then have everyone sit on the side you're surfing on. You want the boat to be listing in the water.

It's ok to have some weight in the bow, but it needs to be on the side you're surfing on.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Get the Fly High Enzo sac, 1200 to 1300 lbs in the 24V. Creates a SWEET wake

With more weight, you can speed up, the 24V's seem to like 11.5 - 12.5 speed if I remember correctly from Xpjim's 24V, this will increase the length of the pocket.
      Last edited by chpthril; 01-25-2009, 10:24 PM.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

yep, enzo sac. speed about 11.5 Taps between 4 and 6 and a few peeps on that side. Works for us
        Let it be!!!

Comment

Man all of this talk makes me what to get back in the water, Come On Spring GET HERE
          Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go thru life.
          Dean Warmer '68

Comment

Agree with Dog - get rid of the starboard gas cans with water. You can increase the pocket length with speed as the other folks mention. As for the bigger folks on that landlock, they are not needing a longer pocket. Possibly a bigger/fatter wake, but most likely more board depending on how "big", bigger is. Definately not a "one-size-fits-all" sport.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Surfdad; 01-31-2009, 12:10 AM. Reason: thinking landlock, typing broadcast! :)
            Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

Thx CHP,XP,Dog and Surfdad, I will be on Lake Mead this Sunday @9am and will try all the suggestions except the Enzo Sac(saving my pennies!) and put all the wieght on the starboard side(we are regular footers)and try 11.5to 12.5.
              The bigger folks are @ 230lbs and can actually ocean surf. I would be "that"
              bigger rider!(but I swear its "camera"wieght!) I am still in search of where I am at on the wave, I have been able to ride rope free for several hundred yards and slowly loose the wave I/we are progressing though! As we progress are there any boards we should consider picking up?
              lincdarrow,,,,,, come out to 'vegas, don a wetsuit and hit the water with us!!!! Spring will be here soon enough!!!

Comment

Are there any issues associated with running a boat listing to one side, similar to how it would with heavy ballast on one side only. At the end of the summer we picked up some fat sacks and found the motor ran pretty rough, like it was missing or something, when all the weight was on the one side and at surfing speed. But then once skiing again, it ran just fine again. Surfing is fun and all, but if it's wrecking my engine I can go without.

Comment

Originally posted by solaidrider667 View Post
                  Thx CHP,XP,Dog and Surfdad, I will be on Lake Mead this Sunday @9am and will try all the suggestions except the Enzo Sac(saving my pennies!) and put all the wieght on the starboard side(we are regular footers)and try 11.5to 12.5.
                  The bigger folks are @ 230lbs and can actually ocean surf. I would be "that"
                  bigger rider!(but I swear its "camera"wieght!) I am still in search of where I am at on the wave, I have been able to ride rope free for several hundred yards and slowly loose the wave I/we are progressing though! As we progress are there any boards we should consider picking up?
                  lincdarrow,,,,,, come out to 'vegas, don a wetsuit and hit the water with us!!!! Spring will be here soon enough!!!
                  If you are regular then you mean the port side or left or red side?????
                  goofy will be strboard or right or green side.
                  Good luck and with landlock you could almost surf behind a row boat

Comment

oops, yes port side(red) My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by KonaKing View Post
                      If you are regular then you mean the port side or left or red side?????
                      goofy will be strboard or right or green side.
                      Good luck and with landlock you could almost surf behind a row boat
                      Sorry KK. Regular or Goofy has nothing to do with it. It is either port or starboard. That is it. Just because you are regular doesn't mean you surf one side or the other. I'm regular and prefer starboard. That is called backside. Lots of people prefer backside.
                      Last edited by NICKYPOO; 02-06-2009, 06:28 PM.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

surfn 24ve

My buddy has a 24ve with factory ballast in it and it works well but if you want a wicked awesome surf wake put a 750lbs in the passenger side with a 400lbs on the rear seat,also a 750lbs in the walk through add some people and rock it out!!!! TAPS at 3-4 and 10 10.5mph. freeken awesome! you wont be dissapointed
                        surf till u die.

Comment

Working...
                        X