Help me pick a board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me pick a board

So I've been tasked with purchasing my own 31st birthday gift, except it needs to be a new wakesurf board.
    I'm a good surfer but my current Hyperlite does not allow a whole lot of manuvering or ability to do tricks. This is the only board I've ever ridden and to be honest I have no idea what boards are out there and what is a step up.
    I'm 6'3 230 and can ride......any suggestions?

Try Trickboardz. My kids love theres. It's fast, maneuverable and can handle being submerged while riding. They have the Mojo.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Dog, your kids ride the Mojo? That's designed for folks in the 200 pound range I'll bet they rip on it. If you do look at the Trick Boardz line I'd wait until Larry and David release the new fiberglass versions.

Sparky, let's make this sort of a tutorial so that other folks can follow along. There are a ton of boards, and your size will make it a little tougher, but not impossible. If you can paint a picture for us that will allow us to start zeroing in on what would best fit for you. So some questions first:

1) Is cost a major consideration?
      2) Is storing it in a wakeboard rack important?
      3) Will you be the only one riding it, if not who else will (height and weight)
      4) Will any small kids or petite women use the board?
      5) Do you see yourself training others on this board?
      6) Are the graphics important?
      7) What sort of tricks will you be learning? Carving and aerials or shuv's?

If you'd be so kind as to answer those and add any additional info that we should consider.
      Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdad View Post
        Dog, your kids ride the Mojo? That's designed for folks in the 200 pound range I'll bet they rip on it. If you do look at the Trick Boardz line I'd wait until Larry and David release the new fiberglass versions.
        There are different sizes. Larry experimented with some boards for kids and I bought one of his blemished boards when I got my FAE. He wanted to know how it would work for kids so I got a great deal on it.

Larry's very committed to the sport and is always interested in feedback.
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Yeah, I like Larry - Innovative guy. I always think of the Mojo as the Mojo Grande, but you're right Larry offers them in 3 sizes in the wood construction. He's been working hard on the new fiberglass shape and I'm looking forward to those. He's talked about them being exceptionally fast.

Comment

My neighbors grandsons know Mike at Calibrated pretty well i guess and after talking with them a week ago are loaning me a couple of his boards to take to Shasta over the 4th week to try out. Should be fun.
            "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Comment

Sparky, let's make this sort of a tutorial so that other folks can follow along. There are a ton of boards, and your size will make it a little tougher, but not impossible. If you can paint a picture for us that will allow us to start zeroing in on what would best fit for you. So some questions first:

If you'd be so kind as to answer those and add any additional info that we should consider.
              Surfdad,
              Thanks for the help.
              1. Not really, dont want to pay a grand though
              2. Yes very important
              3. Mostly, there are others of various weights and sizes. I'm focusing on myself though.
              4. Possibly but not concerned, as we have boards for them
              5. No
              6. No
              7. carv, aerials.....shuv may be out of my league..lol

Comment

The rack issue will be the biggest limitation. It will eliminate all of the Poly U/EPS surf style boards.

Of the those remaining, all of the big 3 make boards that will fit in a rack, but quite frankly I couldn't recommend any.

Those I could recommend for your size and weight would be the following:

Calibrated Piscus - their largest version, I would opt for the ABS rails and the lower cost foam core.

Walzer Alpha - this might be a push, but I'm going to risk it. The 1" thick board might just squeeze into a rack, ask Sean at Walzer what the final thickness will be with traction and then compare that to what your rack will allow.

The Walker Project Composite X 5.0 - This would be my FAVORITE of all the boards listed. It'll be the fastest and most manueverable. Fits most racks.

Phase 5 Oogle. I'm not a big fan of this, but it meets the criteria.

Inland Surfer Yellow - the new '07 is a nice board, the pointy nose gets rid of the tendency to bite in the flats.

Trick Boardz Mojo - they have a great site that can help you pick out the board based upon weight and wake input.

You can find info on all the boards except the Trick Boardz here:

https://generalstore.wakeoutlaws.com/wakesurfers.php

Comment

The rack issue will be the biggest limitation. It will eliminate all of the Poly U/EPS surf style boards.

Of the those remaining, all of the big 3 make boards that will fit in a rack, but quite frankly I couldn't recommend any.

Those I could recommend for your size and weight would be the following:

Calibrated Piscus - their largest version, I would opt for the ABS rails and the lower cost foam core.

Walzer Alpha - this might be a push, but I'm going to risk it. The 1" thick board might just squeeze into a rack, ask Sean at Walzer what the final thickness will be with traction and then compare that to what your rack will allow.

The Walker Project Composite X 5.0 - This would be my FAVORITE of all the boards listed. It'll be the fastest and most manueverable. Fits most racks.

Phase 5 Oogle. I'm not a big fan of this, but it meets the criteria.

Inland Surfer Yellow - the new '07 is a nice board, the pointy nose gets rid of the tendency to bite in the flats.

Trick Boardz Mojo - they have a great site that can help you pick out the board based upon weight and wake input.

You can find info on all the boards except the Trick Boardz here:

https://generalstore.wakeoutlaws.com/wakesurfers.php
                  Thanks for the info....I will check it out and let you know what I get.

ps. I have a slot in my rack that is larger for the surfboard, I need to measure it.

Comment

Also, the Monster Tower Surfboard rack will fit just about any tower. I just bought one and it'll even hold a kneeboard.

Comment

Yeah, if you can manage the rack issue it opens up a ton more options. The standard wakeboard racks are very limiting. If you get a chance, measure the gap in your rack and maybe there are some better options to llok at...at least MORE options

Comment

Yeah, I like Larry - Innovative guy. I always think of the Mojo as the Mojo Grande, but you're right Larry offers them in 3 sizes in the wood construction. He's been working hard on the new fiberglass shape and I'm looking forward to those. He's talked about them being exceptionally fast.
                        Stopped by Larry's shop on Tuesday for a couple of things. I finally got clarification that my kids have been riding a small Freestyle, not the Mojo.

We did pick up a prototype surfskate and the kids have been having a blast with it. We did see a couple of his fiberglass boards and they look like they're going to be even faster than the others. They look pretty sweet also.

Comment

Do not want to take over Sparky's post but I am facing a similar decision and would love SurfDads input. I am 5'11" 185#, ride behind RZ2, and am currently fairly good at surfing with my CWB Tsunami. Curious as to why you did not include any Shred Stixx as a recommendation. Is that because will not fit in wakeboard rack?

1-No
                          2-No
                          3-Yes
                          4-No
                          5-No, not "training" but others at my level would like to try on "better" board as well.
                          6-No
                          7-Carving, aerials, and would still like to spin some. (if I need a second board for spins what would that be?) Can't figure out the shuv's !

Again, sorry to hijack the post but have spent countless hours on every website trying to determine which board and am pulling my hair. Love the feedback from someone who has actually tried most of these boards. Thanks in advance for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by farmacist View Post
                            Do not want to take over Sparky's post but I am facing a similar decision and would love SurfDads input. I am 5'11" 185#, ride behind RZ2, and am currently fairly good at surfing with my CWB Tsunami. Curious as to why you did not include any Shred Stixx as a recommendation. Is that because will not fit in wakeboard rack?

1-No
                            2-No
                            3-Yes
                            4-No
                            5-No, not "training" but others at my level would like to try on "better" board as well.
                            6-No
                            7-Carving, aerials, and would still like to spin some. (if I need a second board for spins what would that be?) Can't figure out the shuv's !

Again, sorry to hijack the post but have spent countless hours on every website trying to determine which board and am pulling my hair. Love the feedback from someone who has actually tried most of these boards. Thanks in advance for your time.
                            Hijack away, we all need some of Surfdads expert input........plus my brother lives in Murfreesboro, parents in Nashvegas, and sis at Vandy.....so I'll let it slide

Comment

BTW Surfdad, I'm going to go with the The Walker Project Composite X 5.0......just hate to wait the 4 weeks to get it made.

Again thank you for the information, you input is highly regarded.

Comment

Working...
                              X