Do you surf with a PFD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you surf with a PFD?

Every year there is a debate over on WW about surfing without a PFD. In CA. it's illegal to be towed without a PFD, so the point is moot here. In those states where it's not illegal do you still require folks to wear a PFD behind the boat?
    Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

50/50

Comment

What about when you wakeboard, same thing?

Comment

10 yrs ago, yes. But I busted my ribs a year or two ago and no I always wakeboard with one. I even use USCGA now.

Comment

Ouch! That must have hurt! May I ask why you don't always wear a PFD when you surf?

Comment

Depends on where I'm sufing and conditions. If there's no one else around then I normally don't wear one. If it's busy (holiday/weekend) I normally do. the perceived danger (to me) with surfing is much less than wakeboarding / tubing. The worst thing that has ever happened to me while surfing is getting water up my nose.

I'm really more worried about some other yahoo out on the water, than I am with the people I normally ride with. With that being said, if there are newbies or kids with me, I wear a PFD.

Comment

WHEN I was in ok, if they didn't want to surf on one, I didn't care. Wakeboarding yes, cops around surfing yes. Guess in cali it's a yes, even though your not being towed, so why do you have to have one? (I'm not gonna push it and try though )
              Originally posted by G-MONEY
              It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

the reason I see not wearing one when your surfing is this.

Do you wear one when you surf in the ocean? I don't. So therefor I would wager thats the discussion.

Comment

I forgot to say thanks! I read your post on doing a 360, and was finally able to pull off a few of them the other weekend. Good pointers, I appreciate it.

Comment

Congrats Lucky! Glad you nailed it.

The surf vs wakesurf discussion is the point, however there are a number of differences and also it should be pointed out that in tow in surfing virtually all of the riders wear a PFD.

The salienity difference makes it easier for folks to float in the ocean, even if all it does it allow body recovery to be easier. Most surfers have a leash, so when they fall if they are a bit dazed, they can usually pull themselves to a PFD (vis a vis the board) without having to swim or tread water while awaiting help. Typically while surfing there are literally HUNDREDS of fellow surfers within a few feet away to render immediate aid all with PFD's in the form of surfboards. So from a safety perspective, ocean surfing offers more protection. This argument is probably the least convincing in my mind - no offense Domz, I know you are just playing devils advocate.

To me, one of the biggest risks with wakesurfing is that you are travelling faster than the boat. A year or so ago, while I was surfing the boat hit a submerged log and my wife, Judy, who was driving, accidently hit the throttle and knocked it into neutral. I came rushing up on the boat so quickly that I literally couldn't react in time and hit the transom and rolled up on the sunpad. Had I hit my head on the transom, I am certain I would have been knocked unconscious and without a PFD I most likely would have drowned.

In another incident and do NOT get me started on PWC riders We had a rider down and we stopped the boat to turn back and get the rider...maybe 30 feet back. A PWC rider BLASTED between the boat and rider, probably 5 feet away from the fallen rider. I don't care HOW skilled you are, if you get hit in the head by a PWC going 50 and you aren't wearing a PFD, you are dead.

There are as many risks for drowning when wakesurfing as with any behind the boat sport.

Comment

We have no specific regs here in Texas. I make my riders where PFDs. Hadn't thought about surfing without one, but that might be fun, but then I'd have to deal with my kids who have to wear them, so I'll continue to wear them.
                      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdad View Post
                        Congrats Lucky! Glad you nailed it.

The surf vs wakesurf discussion is the point, however there are a number of differences and also it should be pointed out that in tow in surfing virtually all of the riders wear a PFD.

The salienity difference makes it easier for folks to float in the ocean, even if all it does it allow body recovery to be easier. Most surfers have a leash, so when they fall if they are a bit dazed, they can usually pull themselves to a PFD (vis a vis the board) without having to swim or tread water while awaiting help. Typically while surfing there are literally HUNDREDS of fellow surfers within a few feet away to render immediate aid all with PFD's in the form of surfboards. So from a safety perspective, ocean surfing offers more protection. This argument is probably the least convincing in my mind - no offense Domz, I know you are just playing devils advocate.Yeah you are correct I am. I like to play the advocat. I always wear one, well I take that back, once I didn't and it just felt weird. The one time I didn't I was the only boat on the water, so I felt safe and confident in my driver. Guess I have been on the wrong beaches, as when I have surfed it's only been a few people. Granted with a wetsuit on you might as well have a PFD on.

To me, one of the biggest risks with wakesurfing is that you are travelling faster than the boat. A year or so ago, while I was surfing the boat hit a submerged log and my wife, Judy, who was driving, accidently hit the throttle and knocked it into neutral. I came rushing up on the boat so quickly that I literally couldn't react in time and hit the transom and rolled up on the sunpad. Had I hit my head on the transom, I am certain I would have been knocked unconscious and without a PFD I most likely would have drowned.

In another incident and do NOT get me started on PWC riders We had a rider down and we stopped the boat to turn back and get the rider...maybe 30 feet back. A PWC rider BLASTED between the boat and rider, probably 5 feet away from the fallen rider. I don't care HOW skilled you are, if you get hit in the head by a PWC going 50 and you aren't wearing a PFD, you are dead.your very true. I hate PWC drivers for the most part.

There are as many risks for drowning when wakesurfing as with any behind the boat sport.
                        Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                        We have no specific regs here in Texas. I make my riders where PFDs. Hadn't thought about surfing without one, but that might be fun, but then I'd have to deal with my kids who have to wear them, so I'll continue to wear them.
                        I look at it that it's really not that big of a deal, might as well.

Comment

Changing the subject - here in California, the swells are so crowded that fist fights break out! The surfers post signs - locals only, we'll kill you. Nice laid back sport

Comment

ha ha ha, really?

Comment

Really! It's freakishly bizarre. You'll find yourself rolling on the floor when you read this article:

http://www.drdriving.org/rages/surf.htm

Check the picture and then just reflect on the guy getting three years probabtion for assaulting someone for giving them the stinkeye At what point do you cross over the line that in your mind it's ok to beat someone with a board because they give you a dirty look? Only in California!

Comment

Working...
                              X