new surf board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new surf board

so when we bought the boat they through in some pro shop credit. with it we got an obrien alias. we've never surfed before but im way stoked to try it. but does anyone have this board. what do you think about it

Damn Dude, I wish you would have asked this before you bought it.

What's your height and weight? How much ballast are you going to run? Do you have any experience with wakesurfing at all?
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

im 5'6 112 pounds. we probably wont use any ballast the first time we take the boat out but later on i will have two 400 pound sacks in the rear lockers and i could easely move them both to one side. i've never ever ever not once ever surfed. so im stoked

Comment

In that big 24 you will definitely need some ballast and/or tons of people on one side to make the wake right for surfing. Once you have the bags, putting them both on one side will be the right thing to make the pocket right for you. Have fun!!!

Comment

At your bulkness you should be ok.

Comment

is it harder to get a 24 weighted than it is to get something like a 22, for surfing

Comment

LT, your puney
              The sun never sets on a badass

Comment

Originally posted by laketime View Post
                im 5'6 112 pounds. we probably wont use any ballast the first time we take the boat out but later on i will have two 400 pound sacks in the rear lockers and i could easely move them both to one side. i've never ever ever not once ever surfed. so im stoked
                Make friends with Alvie!
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I don't get it Dog....

Comment

I was 112 lbs in 4th grade....

You will want some weight in the boat, people weight or ballast weight, it won't matter much. Get a good portion of the weight in the rear, but don't neglect weight in the bow, like 70/30 to start, then play with the weight ratios till you get it where you want it.

You shouldn't have any issues surfing though. Have fun
                    "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

ha ha you guys luagh now but just wait till im 40 and weigh 160 and im still trim and cut like my old man. he aint packin no gut, and looks like he's 30.

the only prob we have about weighting the new boat is my mom. she is so concerned about having all the storage in the world. any time i bring up putting sacks in the lockers she freaks. there is so much space in those lockers, and the sacks arent full all of the time, and even with them full there is more than enough space for anything she wants to put in there. how can we convince her???!!

Comment

Money...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun View Post
                          You sound a lot like me. I have a trainer at the gym that must read his information from a computer screen because he thinks he can get me down to 190. I haven't been under 200 in more then a decade. When I was in high school I weighed 218 with 11% body fat so I'm not sure how he thinks 190 is going to happen.
                          "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
                          "the plural of boo is booze."

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun View Post
                            We need a "fat boy" smiley.

Do yourself a favor and go to http://howtowakesurf.com and do a little homework. It's going to be a little tricky to get everything down between driver and rider. The important thing is to take your time. Go out and see what kind of wake you can get from playing with speed, Taps and weight. Find yourself a nice clean face on one side. Somewhere in the 9-10mph range, taps at 8 and all your weight on one side. Do not have any ballast on the other side. Then play with the Taps a bit. Give your inputs time to take shape behind the boat. You're trying to get the boat to list over on one side. Some time a slight turn into the list can help. This will get you guys used to driving the boat at slow speeds. Once you've got something you think you can ride, you can venture out on the line.

Oh yeah, get yourself a wakesurf rope. They are worth it. The driver needs to remember how short that rope is when bringing it around to the rider. Safety first. Allways.

Comment

ha ha you guys luagh now but just wait till im 40 and weigh 160 and im still trim and cut like my old man. he aint packin no gut, and looks like he's 30.

the only prob we have about weighting the new boat is my mom. she is so concerned about having all the storage in the world. any time i bring up putting sacks in the lockers she freaks. there is so much space in those lockers, and the sacks arent full all of the time, and even with them full there is more than enough space for anything she wants to put in there. how can we convince her???!!
                              Try this approach.

What are you gonna do, camp in it? If you fill that thing up, you've got to much crap. If I can spend 10 hours on Tahoe with 10 people on my 22i, surely you're family can manage on that monster with twice the ballast you have now.

Or.

Spending money on all that stuff is taking away from our gas money.

Comment

Working...
                              X