Trick Boardz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trick Boardz

Thinking about buying a Surf Skate(by Trick Boardz), was wondering if any one out there had ridden this board. Trying to figure out if rides like the web site( www.trickboardz.com ) suggests.
    SHRED IT AND FORGET IT!

Hey Tsnow,

I think we still have one in the shop, but needless to say, we've ridden one. The first thing I want to comment on is Larry Mann, the owner. He has the best customer service in the business. He has a no questions asked return policy. Basically, if after you ride the board and don't like it...he'll give you your money back. The ONLY thing you're out is the shipping. It's about what you'd pay to demo a board, so in my book, Larry really does the customer service stuff well.

I talked with Larry before he hit his manufacturing season and he is planning on converting all of his wooden based boards to fiberglass this season. I've only ridden the wooden boards.

The surf skate is pretty small...well let me recant that. When I got mine, there was only the one size - 39 inches, they have a 42" one now. The board requires a goodly sized wake, a medium size wake will leave you feeling frustrated.

The board rides pretty much as advertised. You can dip the nose underwater and recover, it spins effortlessly...WAY too effortlessly if you take the fins off.

The concave of the bottom keeps the board stuck to the water, so aerials aren't easy - or maybe not even possible.

Down the line speed is pretty good considering how small the board is. It's not fast like a Walzer or Shred Stixx, but at just over 3 feet, it's amazing how quick they are. You'll probably ride it a bit slower than your current board, I find I have to slow down 1 mph or so. This can be a problem with some boats and setups.

I like the EVA foam on the trick boardz, it's smoother than on other boards and so your feet aren't worn out after a long ride. And the boards easily fit in a rack, or quite frankly up along the side of anything. They are so small.

Hope that helps
    Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

Hey Surfdad,
      Thanks for the info. So I should hurry up and by a wood one. Was interested in the spins of the surf skate, looked like my wake skate. I also have Hyperlite Broadcast 4'9" for everything else.
      SHRED IT AND FORGET IT!

Comment

I noticed in the current issue of Wakeboarding Magazine, the gear issue, that the Surf Skate is solid white - I believe that is the new glass construction. It may be too late to get a wood one. I would bet they ride about the same though.
        Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

Sounds good thanks.
          SHRED IT AND FORGET IT!

Comment

Bring your best wake. I have one (42") and it's a lot of work on my best wake to keep it going. It was so much work that I very rarely ride it. The wife can ride it, but she prefers her Phase 5. The traction pads are sweet, and Larry is great to work with. Definately get one with fins. I bought mine as a finless model and it was more or less absurd to try and keep it straight. I you even think the word spin, it will be half way through one. It will definately separate the men from the boys.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Thanks Nickypoo, for all the info. Not sure what I'm going to buy one yet.
              SHRED IT AND FORGET IT!

Comment

Is there any one else out there that has ridden the Surf Skate, so I can have a couple more opions.
                Thanks
                SHRED IT AND FORGET IT!

Comment

I don't think that you will get a more informed opinion than from Surfdad and Nicky. I would chime in but I have never ridden one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by tsnowflake72 View Post
                    Thinking about buying a Surf Skate(by Trick Boardz), was wondering if any one out there had ridden this board. Trying to figure out if rides like the web site( www.trickboardz.com ) suggests.

I bought my kids one of Larry's blemished demo boards (I think it's a mojo). They pretty much ride anything I dare them to. It took a couple of tries before they got used to it because it's much more maneuverable than the LF skimskate or Hyperlite Broadcaster they were used to riding. Now, it's all they want to ride.

Of course, Surfdad always gives solid advice.
                    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                      Bring your best wake. I have one (42") and it's a lot of work on my best wake to keep it going. It was so much work that I very rarely ride it. The wife can ride it, but she prefers her Phase 5. The traction pads are sweet, and Larry is great to work with. Definately get one with fins. I bought mine as a finless model and it was more or less absurd to try and keep it straight. I you even think the word spin, it will be half way through one. It will definately separate the men from the boys.
                      Heck, without fins, you might as well ride one of those surfskates you use on the beach (btw, if you're wondering if it's possible, the answer is yes)
                      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                        Heck, without fins, you might as well ride one of those surfskates you use on the beach (btw, if you're wondering if it's possible, the answer is yes)
                        That would be a skimboard and it's the basis for just about all of the "skim" style wakesurf boards out there. My new Walzer is a variation of a skimboard. The Phase 5's are basically Zap skimboards with a fin. The "Surf Skate" without fins is more like the "White Bear". What's the White Bear? It's a 3 1/2 ft. plywood disk with just a hint of concave. My Grandfather used to ride the thing back in the 60's. He would start out from the beach with a lawnchair and a Gin & Tonic and cruise behind the boat just kickin' it on a chair with a drink in one hand and a handle in the other. My Uncle still has the thing and breaks it out once in a blue moon. I'm gonna try and get some pics this summer.
                        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Was just looking for a couple more opinion.
                          Thanks
                          SHRED IT AND FORGET IT!

Comment

Working...
                          X