Give it one more try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give it one more try

Tried this out a few yrs ago but the suck gate beat it. Figured I’d adjust the angles slightly see if it makes any difference and give it another shot. Only takes a few minutes to put it on. Then for the heck of it while it’s on there might as well try it with a suck gate see how it does together

5066A475-CF4F-469F-8E55-9DC44EAA0380.jpg

attachment[2].jpg
    Last edited by Ruger761; 09-07-2018, 12:48 PM.

Looks interesting. Are those hinges screwed into the transom?
    Looking forward to the outcome. At least you get to surf more in the name of science.
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Turn it 90 degrees and you will probably have more luck.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
        Looks interesting. Are those hinges screwed into the transom?
        Looking forward to the outcome. At least you get to surf more in the name of science.
        TA all of the plates or gates I've tinkered with over the years are either a suction cup or like this one use the R-Pin hole in the swim platform with a clamp to hold them on. Haven't modified the hull in any way or done any damage to it. Makes it kind of challenging to do sometimes that way, but I haven't found one yet I'm willing to make permanent.

attachment[1].jpg
        Last edited by Ruger761; 09-07-2018, 12:53 PM.

Comment

I see. That's what I guessed, but couldn't tell from the pics.

Comment

excited to see the results from this. Any thoughts on turning the plate at an angle? Seems like most newer style surf plates run that way? like the red line in the pic below. I also read somewhere that it might not be a bad idea to cover up the spray pockets, if doing an NSS style or something similar. The belief is the pockets reduce the wave.
            Surf plate.jpg

Comment

Didn't get a chance to take it out this weekend But will be going this next weekend for sure. I have an idea to do as you kind of marked up, but wanted to see if the results of this quick change were good enough to progress with it any further before I tore it all apart to change it up. It pretty well covers the spray pocket up once its down. I tried my old NSS plate (that covered about half the spray pocket up) with the suck gate to see if covering the spray pockets would change it any. I could barely tell a change on the non surf side and couldn't tell any on the surf wave with it deployed. Might have my wave about as good as its going to get, but still fun to tinker with other ways to see if it improves any or not

Comment

half the fun comes from building new surf gates and testing them out. The real struggle comes from having to make so many runs to test each set up . I've seen people run 2 surf gates too. Might have to test one out on the side, and one on the underside like Gumby did. Although, this should produce similar results to that.

Side note, is that a raptor sitting outside your garage?!

Comment

Originally posted by cltTige View Post
                  Side note, is that a raptor sitting outside your garage?!
                  Haha yep that's my son's raptor At least you noticed that and not the dirty shop, (winter project is cleaning, summer it lake time)

Comment

Well wife had a 101 fever but the kids and I went out for a test run anyways. Just no driver to give it asurf test. Also tested out the new prop. Prop makes a huge difference. Question though getting a weird harmonic sound at 875-925 rpm. Any ideas? It’s not there at a dead idle and it goes away at 950 rpm.

Ok onto the test results. Full level ballast, only myself and 2 kids.

Suck gate

647F5961-4A72-4608-96BF-A8369EB6CD53.jpg

Surf tab full deployment

92744A55-20D0-4F8D-86CF-3CA91F0D6CB6.jpg

Combo of both

D1DC47E8-FD19-4FB4-96F8-3DD3A88BFE95.jpg

Hard to say which wins until I can surf them, but the surf tab shows promising results

Comment

Looks good to me. It is hard to tell without a rider and the camera angles are slightly different.
                      Maybe it was in another thread, but what prop did you get again?

Comment

Went from a factory 3 blade to a used Acme 525. Amazing how it changes how it handles

Comment

Surf tab does look very promising. Hate you couldn’t get to surf it. Hope your wife gets better man! Maybe next time you’ll get to surf it.
                          Not sure about the noise. Feeling any vibrations, or is it just a noise? I get a weird noise/vibration ever now and then just surfing that I haven’t been able to pin point.

Comment

Hopefully get out next weekend againto get a real surf test in.

No vibrations. Prop is tight. No slack in the strut. Only thing I came up with is maybe the new prop loads the strut a little different which might be the cause of the noise. Hard to pinpoint when it only shows up in such a narrow rpm range. Just know it was never there before.

Comment

Working...
                            X