Thoughts on a new board...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on a new board...

The board would be for my son. He is 13, 5' 4", 105-110lbs. (We are hopeful for a growth spurt before he gets killed in football).

We currently have the 5' 4" Broadcast. I am thinking it might be too big, slow? He struggles to stay on the wave, and when he gets behind he can't catch up. Would a smaller faster board help him??

How are you running the fins on that board. If it is set up at a thruster you might want to try it as a twin or a single, it should be faster but a little looser. I find with the lighter the person they can really ride almost anything the bigger boards are harder to turn for lighter people. I would also try having him move his feet up on the board, so he can put more weight on the nose of the board.

Comment

generally a longer board is faster. post pics if you have any of him riding to see foot placement.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Having the proper sized board is everything. One too big and you don’t have the weight or size to control it and one too small just makes it hard to stay in the wave. I’d get him on a skim style board, with kids as long as they have some balance they will really benefit on something they can throw around. If he’s growing right now he’s in the middle of a kids board and a small sized board.
        For a skim board for his size I would suggest under 48” and that should be good for a while. And if it were me I would buy something decent so you aren’t asking yourself a year from now what you should buy next. Victoria makes some goof small boards for the money, along with kanuk having a great kids skim(cad dollars.. so way cheaper than advertise) but I’d send them a message double checking size. It says 110 but I know that’s probably more like 130. Not too familiar with phase 5 small skims. But those would be my top 3 picks in that order.

https://kanukboardco.com/collections...cts/anklebiter

http://wakestore.victoriaskimboards....ct/agent-2018/

Comment

would this be a good idea? and at what point is a "kids" board not a "little kids"board ? Watching some of the videos the boards that are labeled kids are always ridden by kids that look like they are in 1st to 3rd grades???

......a 4' 0" CWB Habit

or a 3' 10" Liquid Force Gromi Skim

or a 4'3" Ronix Skate Skimmer 2

or 4' 2" Ronix The Blender Hex

or 3' 9" Ronix Super Sonic Space Odyssey Powertail
          Last edited by MJO21; 08-17-2018, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MJO21 View Post
            The board would be for my son. He is 13, 5' 4", 105-110lbs. (We are hopeful for a growth spurt before he gets killed in football).

We currently have the 5' 4" Broadcast. I am thinking it might be too big, slow? He struggles to stay on the wave, and when he gets behind he can't catch up. Would a smaller faster board help him??
            We have a '08 22ve and my son who is 5' 100lbs has no problem with the broadcast. We currently run it with 1 fin because we like it looser. We also rode the Inland Surfer Taco which is a little smaller but is faster. It seemed more like a sports car compared to a truck.
            I am hoping Santa brings a new board for both of us. I am looking at more surf style or possibly hybrid.
            Maybe focus more on your wave and getting it bigger/dialed in?

Comment

Here's a video of my son on it. He wasn't doing any tricks because he wanted to set the record for riding the longest.

We had 600lbs in each locker and wake shaper, speed about 11.5.

https://youtu.be/IB2pVeHqDlo

Comment

We got my son a 4'2" Rusty Snaggletooth and he loves it.
                fullsizeoutput_3c5c.jpg
                IMG_0812.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X