No announcement yet.

Surf Setup For A 1998 22I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the 653 was a big step up from the original. I remember it feeling like a new boat when I made the change. Really woke the boat up.
    Just wasn't enough when we added more weight.
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
      I like it. It sure looks clean. I would have said it looks like you are running a suck gate because of how theres no white mush folding over on the surf side.
      I will try it again without the suck gate. I'm not set on any configuration. Since we are running it now it must have made a difference somewhere in the testing.
      You have a very unique position because of the mods you made. Maybe thats what I need to do, because that looks great!
      That’s what I’m saying, just what am I trying to fix? That was about as light as I’ve run in a long time. That was the last session of a 3 day trip. One tank of fuel. There couldn’t have been but 10gal in it. Cooler was basically empty. Usually everything is topped off in the morning. It can be a little finicky but I’ve been running it for a long time. I can always get a surfable wave out of it. With everything filled and couple more humans, it’s even pretty decent.

You’re right though, the ballast setup is key. All of my ballast is directly against the hull on three sides. The stern, the side, and floor are all in contact with the sacs, all the way to the hatch. I have zero weight being transferred to the stringers. The stringers are actually in contact with the inboard edge of the sacs. Overall, it’s not that much weight but, it is very effective weight.

I hear ya on the sucgate. It’s strange. At one point, I loved it. Always ran with it. I tried that different one. Hated it. Took it off mid ride and couldn’t believe how much better the wake was. It turned into everything I was trying to get of out it in the first place. Somehow I forgot that my boat has always surfed good. I’ve made it better but, it was always good. We started surfing it before we had any ballast at all. 10 people, a surfboard, and NICKYPOO’s new Tige = session. We got some sacs the next year though. And a Landlock! The original green one. Still got it.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
        Yeah the 653 was a big step up from the original. I remember it feeling like a new boat when I made the change. Really woke the boat up.
        Just wasn't enough when we added more weight.
        x2. We took the same exact path on props. The 653 was a massive improvement. It still cavitated while surfing though. The 911 was a built as replacement for it. It’s been very good. It’s a little low in pitch down at 1000’. It hits the rev limiter at 41.5mph in a hurry. It’s great at 4000-6000. I’ll have to check my surf rpms next time out but, I think they’re pretty low. It doesn’t run very hard at all. I wanna say somewhere around 2500? 2700? I never look anymore. Man, my tach used to be my PP. We’d rig for surf, get a tach setting and run off of that. Now I run on gps like a little bitch.

Comment

All great info here guys! Both setup look excellent - and far superior than my stock setup. Going to slap some weight in mine and see what that does for me. If it still isn't enough ill give the suck gate a go. Interesting to hear about the props. My boat came with two... the one thats currently on (not sure the pitch) it seems to be more of a high end prop. I'll have to look at the other one, but i'm guessing it'll be more or a holeshot prop. Ill keep ya'll updated!

Comment

The 911 is perfect for skiing for me. I yanks my fat *** right out of the hole and runs 34mph with me back there. It runs 37mph at wot at 4000ft. with 4 adults and 4 kids and is about 300rpm off the limiter.

Comment

Some nice looking waves on both of your boats! Yep prop is on my list of get it coming soon. I’m thinking the 525 should be pretty good at 500ft. The 911 might be a bit too aggressive for my location.

Comment

Checked my rpms while surfing the other day. 2240.

Comment

Checked mine while surfing yesterday, running between 2000 and 2050. Using the 525, elevation around 600'. I didn't have a full crew, only 5 of us, and I don't run as mush ballast as you guys (yet).

Comment

Mine pushes 2700 with my setup.

Comment

Got lucky had to go to Seattle for a few days and found a 525 a guy had for sale. Was about to order one but can’t beat half price!

6155C48D-F177-4B1D-822F-CCB28DAB2AAA.jpg

Comment

Good find.

Comment

Wow what a difference in the props. Going to be one of those things I should have done years ago. Ready to get it on the water for a test run, will probably feel like a new boat.

5498BB25-D36F-4B29-AD16-B181D77EE10C.jpg

979571E0-9326-415C-A0FA-C82C3E2A6ADF.jpg

Comment

I haven't seen a surface finish like that on the 525 - any idea(s) what's up with that?

Comment

Not sure why its discolored like that. It may have been worked on but appears to be straight or as much as I can tell from looking at it. Need to get a good test run in to make sure though as it is used.

Comment

Speaking of 525's here is a pretty good deal on one. I'd scoop it but I'm afraid I'll be sleeping on the couch if I spend anymore on the boat. haha.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.p...525-propeller/

Comment

Working...
                                X