set up for wake surfing on 2007 20 V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

set up for wake surfing on 2007 20 V

I recently bought a 2007 20V and am trying to learn how to best set it up for surfing. I am an old fart, die hard slalom skier who is normally annoyed with people making monster wakes and messing up my flat water, so I feel a little like I am selling my soul to the devil, but you either roll with the times or get left behind. I've read lots about weight here/there, including the bow, which seems counter productive to me - so hopefully someone can give me a clue. Here's what I have to work with - no built in ballast, the boat came with three bags that I can move where needed (not sure about capacity on these but they are good size - basically the size of the lockers in the stern), TAPS 2 system, trim tab in the center of transom. So, where should I put the bags/how much water in each/how should I trim? Everyone is beginner/entry level.

Bro in law just got a 2007 20v so we are also figuring it out. Usually put as much weight as you can on the corner you want to surf and go from there. Weight in the bow will make the wave longer but will probably take out a little height. We did a little testing. All it took is about 500 lbs on the surf corner and a wakeshaper on the opposite side of the boat made us a pretty decent wave. More weight the better but that's as far as we got.

Comment

Make a cheap suck gate, it will only cost 30 bucks and it really worked well for his boat.

Comment

Thanks killerbren. I also posted this on the ballast discussion section. Got the below reply from drewdietz in alberta:

Hey jpar, fill the sacks in each locker. Throw the other bag in the bow. Goal is usually 70% rear (wave height) 30% front (wave length) weight.

Buy or borrow a wake shaper (Mission Delta, Tsunami Wake Gate... etc.) Put it on opposite side as surfer just below the water line after weighting. Taps can be adjusted once you get up to speed (9/10/11mph). These devices deflect the wake from the other side of the boat so it doesn't wash out the wake you want to surf on.

Let me know what size bags you have. The capacity warning on the boat is legit BUT everyone adds way more weight and is usually OK. Be safe. Start lower and build up with experience.

Where you at? I'm in Edmonton, Alberta. Private message me for phone #. I have a wakeshaper.

Comment

Working...
        X