Finbox repair -- my head is spinning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finbox repair -- my head is spinning

So I knew it would happen sooner or later -- we somehow managed to bust the fin plugs in our Ronix Koal Thruster, both rail plugs on each side (4 damaged).

The ironic part is that I have just recently started researching how to make my own boards, so very timely I guess.

Here's what I know for sure -- the board is EPS, and has FCS X2-type plugs. I 'think' I want to pull the X2's out, and just replace with FCS II boxes -- easier for an amateur to make sure they are aligned/spaced correctly and they are backwards compatible to the Ronix fins I have.

What I'm stuck on is which resin to use -- I'm finding some places that say use a 5-minute Epoxy and good to go, others say that will melt and I need to use a slow hardnener, others recommend ice bags, and so on. Or should I use Resin Research Quik Kick?

Even more challenging is where to buy the supplies. I'm the kind of guy that likes to be loyal to a supplier if they can meet my needs. So I'm trying to find a place that will have what I need to fix my current board, have all the supplies to give building a foam board a try, and provide education and support along the way. I was really liking the Greenlight Supply site -- simple line-up of products, however, a lot is out of stock, prices seem high compared to others, and no clear direction on what to use for fin repair. Foamez was looking good too, and then I found Shaper Supply this morning, which seems to have the best prices on tools and resins.

Can anybody help clear this up and give me a recommendation? I'm sure I'll have more questions about building a board later on, just want to get my fin boxes repaired at the moment!

Unless you have a router jig designed or made to install the FCSII boxes it will be difficult to get the cut right.
    Same goes for Fusion boxes, which is what I would reccomend you use if you want to switch from the plugs.

The Plugs in the board are x2 style plugs, but are knock off/fake versions made of cheaper black plastic.

You want to use a two part epoxy. Yes slow hardener is better that quick due to the thermo reaction, or just don't install in ambient temperatures over 80 degrees.

I can set you up with the supplies needed.

Plugs are not too hard to install. You can use your fins as dummy fins to make sure you get them installed in the right place.

Nick

Comment

Good morning Nick -- thanks for chiming in, I was hoping you and other pros would see this post.

Understand the need for the router jig, I assumed that would be part of the cost. And thanks for squaring me away, cool room with slow hardener it is.

Can you give me a quick pros/cons on FCSII vs Fusion? I was leaning FCSII for two reasons -- I can reuse my fins on my current board (with screws), and on future boards, I can get the FCSII fins and easily pop them out to avoid damage risk. What I don't know is how hard/forgiving are each style to install (with proper tools) for a garage builder? What are the pros/cons for garage builder, knowing my boards will never approach the quality of yours and others?

If it's worth it, I'll convert the rail fins on the current board to Fusion, and then I'll have the Fusion jig and tools for future builds.

For better context, I was hoping to play with either EPS or Polyiso from a big box store to keep some of the cost down, at least until I have a sense of what I'm doing, don't want to ruin a shipped blank to start.

Comment

Benefit of fusion is they are less likely to be pulled out or pushed in. Another benefit is they are a lot less expensive and you can get version from other manufacturers. FCSii was introduced in part because the patent on the fusions was up, not that from day 1 chinese companies weren't making copies.
        FCS' boxes and plugs are made in china. Futures boxes are made in the USA. Futures fins are made in the usa and in china. Most rtm molded fins are made in china. A few usa companies make rtm molded fins here.

The problem with the FCSII system is the fins are actually pretty hard to put in and pull out. People often push the box into the board or pull the box completely out or partially free of the board.
        This is why I haven't adopted it for larger use beyond customs and do not currently make fcsII-style base fins for my proprietary fin designs.

With proper tools all systems are easy to install. With a little practice it is pretty brainless. With experience you will learn tricks. The main key is proper placement. That is why the shaper is suppose to mark the fins placement on the blank and the fin type, boxes or glass on on a board sheet. or cut the box holes himself.
        Atleast under most scenarios where the shaper does not install the boxes. It is rare for the shaper to be the laminator and fin installer and sander, etc, but it does happen.
        The main issue you will have is foam damage beneath/around your plugs. I've fixed a lot of ronix boards. You will likely need to fill in the void with new foam.

Take a look at surf supply. Fiberglass supply. and Surf source, fiberglass hawaii. Each have online stores and decent prices for DIY.

And, like I said I can set you up with FCS plugs, fusions or fcsiis, fiberlgass, carbon, epoxy. I can get you the jigs and everything if needed as well. You can make the jigs out of plywood or polycarbonate or an old plastic cutting board.

Nick

Comment

Working...
        X