Wakeboard to wakesurf rack conversion writeup for E-Series Tower Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wakeboard to wakesurf rack conversion writeup for E-Series Tower Owners

As many of the E-Series Tower owners are aware, they only came with wakeboard racks. I considered purchasing aftermarket fingers and just bolting them up, but myself and others are weary of throwing expensive custom boards in hard plastic/Aluminum racks.

Sooo...I made my own out of the original wakeboard rack and added the most protection possible. Here is what I did for others wanting to something with maximum protection for high end boards.

Started by cutting out the middle finger and the old hooks off the outer fingers
    IMG_0496.jpg

From there it allows for a 1" ID PVC pipe (12" long) to fit over the outer fingers. (It will be snug fit)
    After taking some measurements from current surf racks on the market, I needed to reduce the distance so I stepped it up and slid a 1.5 OD PVC on the bottoms finger only over the 1" ID pipe to make it a little bigger and more robust.

I then purchased surfboard 18" rack pads that are designed to fit on roof racks. Slight modification to allow for it to fit over the PVC. Then had some spare Seadek laying around that I used to wrap around the center of the gap for the board rail to rest against. (Not shown in photo)
    IMG_0493.jpgIMG_0495.jpgIMG_0494.jpg

After all was said and done it cost me $80 to do both sides. The fit is snug for SoulCraft boards and doesn't require any straps or bungees to hold in place.
    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Legit
    Germaine Marine
    "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

That is exactly what you want to do. Duffy had did some similar years ago, and I usually recommend the same thing. Depending on the rack, you can cut or grind the fingers and use some pvc and noodles/insulation foam or in your case typical surf rack foam parts, but the key is not just making the space wide enough for a typical surf style board, but longer so the board rest more securely and more evenly. This is still where modern wider racks fail. The fingers aren't long enough. This causes the boards to rest with most of the pressure on one side, and will just dent/damage the board. I get repair boards in all the time with rack damage, traction torn up, rail dents from straps, bottom or deck dents from bouncing up and down in racks. The boards are being repaired for other dings, but I always note the rack damage.

Good job.

Nick

Comment

I can almost hear your wakeboard crying for being left out! Nice work buddy, may have to copy your idea.

Comment

Working...
        X