Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to keep the face of a surf wave clean while using a suction gate??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to keep the face of a surf wave clean while using a suction gate??

I've read all the threads on here (I think) regarding how to set up your Tige with an after market "suck gate" - but I can't seem to find consensus on how to eliminate the groove or line about 2/3 of the way up the face?

My own experience with my 22Ve is that when I have a full crew, with surf side full, off side 50%, bow full, TAP at 6 and speed around 11.6 - the wave is tall, long, and clean with tons of push and there is no groove.

When my crew gets small - the line starts showing up. If it's just my wife and (tiny) kids on the boat pulling me - the line is horrible and actually impacts the ride vs. just being cosmetic.

So do I just need extra bags with a small crew? Or is there another way I can make it go away? Thanks.

I have been runnning into the exact same prob. One member said to run no bow weight, I have not had a chance to try that, but he said he no line in the wave. It is weird, using the sucgate I find the push is so much stronger outside of the boat than without it, but I hate that line.

Comment

Originally posted by dukesofhazzard View Post
      I have been runnning into the exact same prob. One member said to run no bow weight, I have not had a chance to try that, but he said he no line in the wave. It is weird, using the sucgate I find the push is so much stronger outside of the boat than without it, but I hate that line.
      Add a little offside weight until it goes away... and I would add it in the bow if possible.
      Germaine Marine
      "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

I ran mine a little different. Surf side 75% or so full, then suck gate, then bow full, then a crew of people sitting comfortably. Sometimes a little opposite weight. But my motor can only handle so much
        Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Here are a link to a few posts. Search for majestic, he has several posts in these threads with some great info and it is on a 22Ve and if you search back and forth through these threads, there is alot of good info

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ht=#post765843

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ht=#post768322
          "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Originally posted by elevatedconcept View Post
            Add a little offside weight until it goes away... and I would add it in the bow if possible.
            X2 on above but you will need to slide your gate back farther towards the transom, otherwise your wave will be long and flat. The farther back you move the gate the taller it will be, and the deeper in the water (to a point) the more dense the wave will be. I found that with mine it was below the chine on the lower hull directly under the VE Logo. I would fill Everything, run to speed then drain surf side till it was monster and drain bow as needed for height. Your speed is perfect 11.5ish right about where mine was happy.

Good Luck
            My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

I run mine as far back as possible, full surf side MLA sack, 400# offside, NO BOW WEIGHT, I've always run now weight but my Delta hates it

Comment

OK, I have some new things to try out then. It seems like with a full crew - you want it below the step and with bow weight (my experience has been good like this). With lighter crew I'll try above the hull step and no bow weight and see what I get!

Thanks.

Comment

Also to confirm, is this for a regular or goofy side set up that you are going for?

I haven't ran a gate type device to play around so this next part is purely based on listing but could be the same scenario: I have found that with running regular I don't add any bow weight unless I have a full crew and are therefore heavy. When setting up for a goofy rider I always run bow weight and almost more the better.

Comment

The lead bags from Wakeballast make it very easy to adjust weight on the go, I like to recommend these for final tweaking and an ever changing passenger weight. Very easy to move around to see what effects what without constantly draining and filling your ballast.
                    Adam - SWELL Wakesurf - www.swellwake.com

Comment

We've found that testing the distance of the deflector from the stern has a significant effect on shape and the groove in the wave. Of course some minor listing can help based on your boat's hull as well. In most cases getting the shaper just below the waterline (at speed) lower than that can cause wash-out and lines provides best results.
                      Surf on - Jon NautiCurl.com

Comment

Working...
                      X