Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surfing with a Dry Suit?

Hello TO's,

Well WakeMakers got me on Black Friday and ended up with a Dry Suit, 3mm Booties, 3mm Hood, and 3mm Gloves. Figured I would give them a go this weekend, and put the boat back in the water for a session. I have never worn a anything like this besides hunting waders which is significantly different. Looking for suggestions on what to wear under the suit, supposed to be relatively nice this weekend with highs in the 70's and water temp is 58 degrees. We normally surf in 70+ degree water so this water might as well be freezing to us.

Any help appreciated, should be on the water tomorrow sometime. Might be the first time I see Katherines Landing Empty looking forward to not seeing anyone out there.
    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

In water like that I would wear sweat pants and long sleeve t-shirt or so. Depends on how easily you get cold. You may be a bit cold when you are in the water but as soon as you start moving around you'll get quite warm. When I start my season the water is closer to 50 so I'll wear a sweat shirt underneath but you still get your sweat on pretty good.

Comment

That's still wet suit weather!

Comment

Don't mind theGerman Josh, he's a water snob- of course, I'm going with him, and I'll be putting that bad boy on too!

Comment

Trunk it you pansies...
          Germaine Marine
          "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Back in my younger days, when I would brave the waters of northern Utah in the winter time (I do have pics of me slaloming with snow falling), I would bare down and then throw the dry suit on. I always hated the feeling of having thermals or a sweater on underneath that dry suit. Felt like I was snowskiing with all the layers underneath and made me feel like a marshmellow..depends on the dry suit. Mine had thick tight watertight neoprene bottoms that kept me dry and a looser top with some inner insulating liner for the top.

Comment

I consider myself a cold water wimp, and I just use a full suit (and booties and gloves) in Havasu in the winter (water in the mid-to-high 50's). I actually ordered a dry suit, but it came in the wrong size, so I just tried the wet suit and was fine. I think mine is a 3mm/2mm (but might be 4/3). You may want to try that before going to the expense and hassle of the dry suit. Either way, though, I'd definitely recommend the booties.

Comment

I generally prefer wetsuits unless the air temp is really cold. Then the dry suit is nice. Get out of the lake and you are nice and warm. I have worn sweat pant and a non hooded sweatshirt before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I go from a summer shorty to a drysuit, sometimes I wish I had a nice full size wetsuit to use inbetween. The downside to wearing a drysuit when the air is that warm is that once you get out of the water you get cooking hot! You might start chilly in the water, but then you start pumping on the board and you build heat...man you cannot get that thing off fast enough back in the boat!!!

Because of that, I'd keep on what ever you are wearing in the boat. You may get a little water in the neck or limb seals, its life and won't chill you too bad unless you get a lot of water in. Maybe sweat pants and a sweat shirt. Sometimes I just go in swim trunks and a long sleeve t-shirt. You are most likely not gonna be in the water for a massive amount of time, so no need to go full-on thermal underwear. Also, I like to wear my life jacked inside my drysuit, makes it easier to move on the board.

I have a hood and gloves, but after the first couple of times out the only thing I wear with my dry suit is my scubba booties. Sure my fingers and ears get cold, but I never miss a pull that way!

Comment

As I took a little from everyone suggestions, wool thermals with a flannel sweat pant, under armor shirt and a hoodie. I was plenty warm but felt I couldn't move as freely as normal which was expected. What surprised me was the weight of the suit and additional clothes. Normally I can ride a 4'6" SC no problem, with all the additional weight I was struggling to stay in the pocket. Next trip I'll dial down the base layers to something more manageable and ride my 5.1. Thanks for all the input guys IMG_1112.jpg
                    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Working...
                    X