22v surf set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22v surf set up

Ok so I have an 04' 22v. I have 4 stock ballast and usually cruise with 5 people onboard. Any ideas of how to set ballast. I've tried messing with them but doesn't seem to change anything. Any help or any sort of extra things to look at would be nice.

For what sport?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Fill the rear surf corner first.

Comment

See I've tried to fill that corner! But it doesn't seem to do anything,and it was for surfing.

Comment

I have a 05 22v and also have been playing with the surf setup this summer. I asked the very same question and here's what's been recommended by those who know.

Bow: 650# IBS and a couple kids or one adult
          Surf side locker: 1100# - 1400# + remaining passengers crammed onto the surf side.
          TAPS 3 - 5 speed 11 - 12.5

Look up some posts by Topazsurfer. - he's taken it to the next level with a cut platform, mat and lead.

I built a suc gate and am seeing the potential. I have the 650# IBS and a 750# in each rear locker. With a larger crew I get a pretty good wave but with just my family of 4 can see that I need a bit more ballast.

If you have the space, I know Mike (chpthrl) and others have recommended the Fly High 1400# Enzo bag. I have too much stuff stored in the under seat cockpit storage so that type of sack would be a last resort for me. Over the winter I'm planning on buying the 1100# sacks for my rear lockers and augment with lead bags if I still need more weight.

I'll post my results when I finally have it all figured out. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool thanks man! Ya I just squired a fat sac but no where near heavy enough

Comment

With it quite in the boat, you should be able to hear each ballast pump run as you turn them on/off one at a time. You should also hear water rushing into each tank if you lean in toward each tank while its corresponding fill pump is on. If not, then you will need to break out the volt meter and start testing.

Now having said that. If that system is the factory system, you may consider gutting it over the off season and building from scratch. The hoses are likely collapsing at their bends. The pumps are only 500 gph and are known to break if you look at them cross eyed. The rear tanks are only 250 lbs each and the bow tanks take up storage space in the midship lockers. I also believe that the fill intake is transom mounted, so you cant fill if above no wake speed.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Ok! I did see some had the type that fold up to the side wall that way you didn't take up space when not in use! I can hear them all work and turn on so I'm just assuming it's because the ballast still don't weigh enough. It is true that they won't fill unless your stopped!

Comment

IIRC, the ballast intake is on the transom in 04. If so, once you get a little speed, theres no water in the intake. Also, they are prone to trap air. This requires the driver to goose it in reverse to force water in and the air out.

Comment

Ya that's what I've done before by accident! I just heard these things can make a monster wave. So far it's surfable just needs a little more help! I seen diy surf grates for adding more face. Taps 3 would be nice but don't think I can do it or afford it if possible

Comment

I had that boat and it made a good surf wave. We loaded it as heavy as we could in the surf corner with no people in the boat to surf. If there are people in the boat we had them sit on the back corner to surf then move one person at a time to the front surfing side to lengthen the wave. The key to start was definitely get as much weight in the back corner as you can. Once you get enough weight in the surf corner that boat needed front weight and it seemed to work better if it was on the surfing side in the front. Make one of those suckgates they are like 40 bucks in parts off amazon and work great on my RZ4 so would assume it would be good on that boat as well lots of people using them on 22v.

Comment

I have a 22i and before my delta I would put 400lb in the locker of what ever side I was surfing and 1000 on the floor 750 in the front and all the people on the side I was surfing. Do yourself a favor buy or build a gate, it is easier to drive when your boat is not listed. With the delta I can evenly weigh my boat down and makes a killer wave.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew4124 View Post
                          Ok so I have an 04' 22v. I have 4 stock ballast and usually cruise with 5 people onboard. Any ideas of how to set ballast. I've tried messing with them but doesn't seem to change anything. Any help or any sort of extra things to look at would be nice.
                          I have a 20v I run two 400lb bags in the Walk way of the bow and another 675 triangle bag on top of them. In the rear lockers I have two more 675lb bags plus a yeti and couple girls in bikinis and for surf I just drain one side. The wake is rowdy surfing and wakeboarding. This pic is with the rear bags empty that's why it looks so nose heavy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dustinsnipes View Post
                            I have a 20v I run two 400lb bags in the Walk way of the bow and another 675 triangle bag on top of them. In the rear lockers I have two more 675lb bags plus a yeti and couple girls in bikinis and for surf I just drain one side. The wake is rowdy surfing and wakeboarding. This pic is with the rear bags empty that's why it looks so nose heavy

Comment

I have a 20V with the following setup:

I removed all the stock hard tanks and replaced the rears with Eight.3 800# PNP bags. I replaced the front hard tanks with Eight.3 400# bags and I put an Eight.3 800# telescoping bag in the walkway. We typically have a driver and a couple
                              People but not necessary. We also use the Eight.3 wake shaper which made all the difference. IMG_1158.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X