Will Different Prop Affect Prop Wash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Different Prop Affect Prop Wash?

I have an RZ2, and I'm having an issue with prop wash on the goofy (starboard) wake. Basically, I can't go below 4 or 5 on the TAPS. When I do, I get significant prop wash. Regular (port) wake is fine at all TAPS levels. Goofy wake is ok at 5+, but it's a little short and steep for some people's taste, and I'd like to be able to take the TAPS down further.

Someone suggested changing props to help with the wash issue. Right now, I have the stock 537. Conceptually, I don't understand how a different prop would help on the wash issue, but I wanted to mention it here to see if anybody thinks it would or, better yet, has actually seen that effect in the real world. If I did change props, I'd probably switch to something with more low-end torque (like the 1235), but if anything, it seems like that prop would be spinning faster at the same speeds and therefore create more wash. Maybe (hopefully) I'm missing something. Hydrodynamics is definitely not my specialty.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I've asked a few members with RZ2s and they are telling me to go with the 1235. I'm still in the experimental stage with my ballast positioning, but I experience cavitation when I really get the boat leaning and in less than ideal water. The dealer I bought the boat from also said changing the prop would definitely make a difference in the wake since the boat was originally used for wake boarding. Guess we'll see what happens.
    If I'm not surfing, I'm making money to surf.

Comment

In my opinion prop will not cure your issue. I had the same problem with my RZR when I first got it. I simply did not have enough weight in the starboard corner. Your fighting the natural rotation of the prop so ya just have to play with the weight until you can get past the rotation battle. I have heard the 1235 is a good prop for the RZ2

Comment

I think prop and rpms affect the wave a lot. Slower rpms the better for wash.
        Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

x2 on what Duffy said. Props can definitely change the amount and shape of the wash.

Comment

Originally posted by duffymahoney View Post
            I think prop and rpms affect the wave a lot. Slower rpms the better for wash.
            Originally posted by topaz surfer View Post
            x2 on what Duffy said. Props can definitely change the amount and shape of the wash.
            OK, but most people suggest lower-torque props, like the 1235, for surfing. Wouldn't a lower-torque prop spin at higher RPM"s at surf speed and create more wash?

On another note, any idea if Acme will send "demo" prop that can be sent back if it doesn't have the intended effect?

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

As long as the prop slip is within check, i dont see its RPM being a huge factor in creating wash or not. Prop slip will for sure create wash, as well as poor speed holding and poor hole shot. Now one thing about the 1235 when compared to the 537. Yes the 1235 is lower pitch, witch = higher RPM, but its also larger diameter, which = lower RPM. The change in pitch and dia just about cancel each other other.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
              X