Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to upgrade from my Hyperlite Broadcast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to upgrade from my Hyperlite Broadcast?

I started surfing behind my 2300v last year. After reading several folks advice I grabbed a Hyperlite Broadcast 5' 4" and it's been great for learning. I'm about 200 lbs and can easily ride wireless as long as I want now. With around 1,300 lbs of ballast I assume I have a medium sized wake.

Being a gearhead, I'm wondering if it's time to upgrade. I just turned 49 & the former slalom skier in me likes carving, but I'm already getting kind of bored and thinking I need to learn 360's, etc. next. So in other words, I'm not really sure about the typical surf vs. skim question. I think I want the best of both. :-)

Since you can't demo these like snow skis, I'll have to take a leap of faith. I'd love any input you guys have. Maybe my Broadcast is as good as it gets (at least it's bullet proof). I kind of doubt that, though.

A local shop has some pretty good sales on a Ronix Koal Skimmer & Koal Powertail. Any thoughts on those?

Can I get high performance without getting something terribly fragile?

Thanks in advance!

This is a heated topic, as everyone feels like they have the corner on the best boards ever known to mankind. So take everything with an objective mindset!

Here is my offering on this topic: major wakeboard-esque manufacturers that make compression molded boards similar in construction to wakeboards are most likely not "as good as it gets." Your Broadcast is a prime example. Ronix boards also are in this category. I just don't think you can beat the super light and responsive feel of a foam-core traditionally manfactured board. Night and day. I found this personally to be true, as have the 15+ people I have witnessed ride a "real" surfboard for the first time. All of them are amazed. Especially the larger ones--170# and up--it seems.

Regarding your surfing goals, it sure sounds like a hybrid sort of shape might be your cup of tea.

Yes you can get something that is not terribly fragile. Lots of boards have wood veneer as an option, kevlar netting....etc etc etc. The drawback would be possibly expense. They are hand made by talented shapers so it costs money. Expect $700 at a bottom, and easily up to $900. Boards in this vein: Chaos, Walker Project, Doomswell, Soulcraft. There are many more; these are some notables and are freaking awesome. They will ask your height, weight, style then make a board for you. They also use Futures fins mostly, so that fin interchange is a snap.

One particular guy that really offers a lot for your money is Mark at Lakewakes.com. He makes custom boards that have a textured fabric laminate (calls it TEK finish) that is very very tough, yet very light. His shapes are good as well--in particular the Bean Hybrid he makes is a super fun board. You can get one in standard finishes delivered for right around $450 give or take. He will size and shape according to your body size. He will also put Agenda traction pads on it which are great. I own 3 boards from him: an adult Bean, a kids Bean, and a Flying Saucer skimmer. I will likely sell the skimmer soon because of the Bean--in fact if you want a good skimmer for a big boy you're welcome to it (I am 225#). Additionally I ride a Walker Project Bazooka a lot as well--super fast and agile surf style custom.

The long and short is this: get a real surfboard. There is no comparison IMHO. There are some pretty good mass produced boards--like Inland Surfer--but they cost as much as true customs. The small mom/pop shops are super cool to buy from. Just dudes answering the phone and making boards.

If money is no object, buy something totally flossed out. If budget is a concern, honestly you will never be disappointed in a board from Mark at Lakewakes. Tremendous value and a tough foam core board.

Have fun! Good boards make a HUGE difference if you ask me.
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Dakota, I'm interested in your skimmer if you want to sell it. Send me your info if you want. Thanks.

Comment

Man...all great info. Thanks! Looks like I've got my work cut out for me. Looks like none of the custom board makers are anywhere near me (Colorado). That would be a plus.

We're heading to Lake Powell in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll stumble across something by then.

Thanks again for all the details!

Comment

Look into Brigade wake surf boards, I've got the bomber by them and it's a riot to ride, their in Boise Idaho, so somewhat close for a Custom hand made board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After the Lakewakes group buy problem a few years ago I can't buy one. I guess things turned around for him? Good!
            http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ight=lakewakes
            Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by tchancey View Post
              Man...all great info. Thanks! Looks like I've got my work cut out for me. Looks like none of the custom board makers are anywhere near me (Colorado). That would be a plus.

We're heading to Lake Powell in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll stumble across something by then.

Thanks again for all the details!
              If in colorado you have soulcraft dealer Squidswake.com in denver, but their customs take weeks or months to get. Doomswell out of texas are an excellent group of guys to deal with. Call brock and he will set you in the right direction. I know they were having some issues getting boards out towards the end of August as they have grown exponentially, but he can give you more specifics. My wife and I ride doomswell boards and love them and we have ridden many different brands!!

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                After the Lakewakes group buy problem a few years ago I can't buy one. I guess things turned around for him? Good!
                http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ight=lakewakes
                I would say so. Sounds like that wasn't handled in the best manner, but I am certainly willing to forgive. I have arranged for 4 friends to buy boards from him this summer with ZERO hiccups. So hopefully he has righted the ship. If I understood his current situation correctly, he is full time on boards right now. No more auto mechanic.

The fact still remains, $450-$500 for a great durable board is a good deal. You can drop $800 on a custom before you know what happened!
                Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

As already pointed out, opinions will vary greatly on boards, each has its own characteristic. It sux because in many cases you are buying a board based on a description without getting to ride it. Also, you may have a rough run or two on a board until you figure it out, and then love it! This is not a slam, but I don't think your going to get a huge bump out of the Ronix Boards you mentioned over what you already. I've yet to ride a board that was best of booth surf and skim worlds.

I'm 6'2 and have weighed 220-235lbs. this season. Currently I ride a Soulcraft Blunt Nose Honu. When I got up to 235 I was a little too heavy for it. Now I'm down to 220 I'm getting alot out of it! Jeff Wahlers with Soulcraft will spend time with you picking the right board if you want to go custom. Super light and responsive surf style. Crushed a fin into the board when I surfed over a large stick. Lightweight boards are also delicate, but in this case it was repairable. Also, I got a set on Chris Kinsey's ShredStixx at the owners reunion. If you are going higher end, I liked it a lot too and it would be on my short list: http://shredstixxusa.com/wakesurfboa...-carbonflexpro.

We have new (as of August) Doomswell Skim that I might be selling over the winter. They sell it as a skim, but it is more surf shaped with only one fin. Loose, but you can make it correct quickly. Only have about 3-4 runs on it and its a good solid board, just not my style of riding. I've spent a lot of time on an Island Surfer Sweet spot pro over the last couple of years. It was my wife's goto board before her Soul Craft "Emily". I just felt too heavy on it and was constantly pearling the board.

Skim style, I've only had success on a Victoria Agent. That said, I don't ride skim a lot so I've not given most skim boards a chance. @trace can offer more input on the different skim boards they have tried.

Comment

Here's a 4'10" handmade custom that's a rocket to ride that's for sale $600

Comment

tchancey: I was in your position earlier this season. Only had a old Broadcast that I had had for years and wanted something new. I tried a couple boards from the different manufacturers and ultimately took the plunge on a 4'10" Blunt Nose Honu. I'm about 225lbs myself. Honestly, as others have mentioned it was the best thing I ever did. The board is awesome to ride and I'm sure the other custom offerings are too. You won't be disappointed I can tell you that much.

Comment

TChancey,

I think as dakota4ce pointed out and as one that picked up on it, you are more likely to want a hybrid style board.

Couple general myths regarding custom boards:

1. Custom does not necessarily mean custom. A true custom board is customized for the rider, not just a model board selected from a size range with color or graphics thrown on it.
                        2. Custom does not mean significantly more expensive than your typical factory board. Your higher end wakeboard brand and wakesurf brand factory boards are within the same price range as custom boards.
                        3. Factory board does not mean overseas productions, most so called custom manufactures mostly produce basic factory boards.
                        4. Custom does not mean more fragile. In fact, unless your custom board is built to be 'Pro team' light/ultralight, then your average usa made board will be more resilient than its overseas counterpart.

As far as the ronix boards go, when the powertail first came out, I looked at it, laughed a little and thought boy that looks familiar. After repairing a few, I just think of it as a board with a fairly characteristic outline borrowed from 'somewhere', with a bad rocker and foils.
                        You can buy last years model from most wakeboard companies at significant discounts, but are you really getting a deal? These boards cost around $100 to manufacture on average, and although you may spend $300-400 on it at the end of the year, you will never be able to sell it for that.
                        I have people riding boards I made for them 6-12 years ago, and all the time I have past customers come in for their new board, in part, because a friend really wants to buy their old board.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                        X