2015 r20 or 2009 rz2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015 r20 or 2009 rz2

hi guys i have been searching for a tige in canada for a while, low canadian dollar makes a us purchase unlikely. Wife and i would like to surf and ski and teenagers
    will wakeboard and surf. I have a choice of a 2015 r20 raptor 400, vector tower, base ballast and stereo. Or 2009 rz2 with pcm 343 samson razor tower stereo and ballast in. Both around 200 hrs as the r20 comes from a kids camp. Warranty on the raptor 5 years and transferable i believe( fee no doubt). Price about the same south of 60 ca. rz2 does not have tige touch, r20 no vx. Were a small crew as teenagers wont get up for the early shred sessions. So what do you guys think, go newer and spend a bit on ballast and stereo or go bigger but older? cheers

The R20 doesn't have TT either.

Comment

Is size a consideration, either for # people or for towing?

R20 is 5000+ lbs with tandem trailer.
      RZ2 is 6000+ lbs with tandem trailer.
      Last edited by PaceWithGrace; 08-30-2015, 02:51 AM. Reason: Added specs.

Comment

Rz2 all the way
        surf till u die.

Comment

The 2015 R20 surfs amazing for a 20ft boat. I would pick the R20 and option it up, warranty alone would be worth it. Check around as I know we have several leftover Tige's at end of summer sale pricing that would fit your budget.
          Xtreme Powersports & Marine
          www.xps-usa.com

Comment

If they're close to the same price, its a tough call. 60k seems low for a 2015 R20, and really high for a 2009 RZ2. I think i'd probably go with the RZ2 and try to get that price down to under 50. If you search around you'll find alot of people here think that 2009 was a "sweet spot" of sorts with the RZ2. It has all the goodies that are on the newer ones (nice tower, PCM engine, underfloor ballast, etc), but its before Tige Touch.

To be honest, if i had 60k Canadian to spend right now, i don't think i'd buy either boat. I've been watching the classifieds lately (i have an uncle thats boat shopping), and i think there are better options out there at that price. I know my uncle was dealing on a loaded 2012 RZ2 with under 200hrs and the price was just a bit over 60k.

Comment

I think it depends on the condition of the RZ2. If it's well cared for it's probably in better shape than the R20 since the R20 was used as a camp boat, correct? The RZ2 will be a more versatile boat all around. Much more room for friends and family and more storage as well. It'll handle bigger lakes and rough water a little better than the R20. I would also make sure you get confirmation that the engine warranty will transfer. I just tried looking on the Tige website and the Indmar website and I couldn't find that fact in writing. I love the PCM engine in my boat, very easy to do the annual Mx and it has a long history of being a reliable engine. As long as you take care of the PCM with regular Mx she will take care of you.
              2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
              2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

just saw this 09 rz2, does it happen to be this one? the R20 will perform amazing for a twenty foot boat but being from a kids camp and not having many options I would go with the rz2 mainly because of space, coming from a r20 owner.

http://tige.ca/used-boats/tige-2009-rz2/

Comment

If the R20 comes from Camp Qwanoes then here are some pros and cons off the top of my head:
                  - same drivers all summer, so they're experienced and follow good practices
                  - salt water, but...
                  - closed cooling system
                  - galvanized trailer
                  - probably not a lot of high rpm operation (no excessive wear), lots of tubing though
                  - look for gel coat stress cracks around tow pylon and edges of rear fibreglass platform
                  - it has been a dry summer, so not rained on!
                  - Raptor 400 engine! Tons of power. Unproven?

Personally, I think that red RZ2 in the link above looks great, and I'd love to get one, but I trailer everywhere and get in to some tight/steep ramps that I think I couldn't manage with a boat weighing 1200 lbs more. YMMV.
                  Last edited by PaceWithGrace; 08-30-2015, 02:51 AM. Reason: RZ2 is 4300 lbs vs R20 is 3100.

Comment

I bought my 22ve this year and watch the adds all the time and that boat is priced right on the way the market is right now. Absolutely crazy. But that's what it is. Is it the boat at Redline. I got mine from there in March. I know what they asking. The new boats are so much and there are no used ones around so it is just driving up the cost. I have seen 2 22ve and a certain rz2 that are 15 grand more than what I paid. Great for me but not for someone trying to get it in.

Now as far as size goes I thought about r20 as well but after this summer the extra room sure is nice and the bow of the rz even a little bigger. If you can tow and store it I would go 22' over 20 for sure. The other big diff. Other than length to is the width. It will much bigger just because it's wider.

My boat had 200 hrs on it when I bought it too and so far a 100 hrs later not one hiccup. Pcm 343 considered to be one of the best ever. Only time will tell about the other motor. But I am sure it must pull like mad with that motor in a smaller boat. Good luck.

Comment

We have a loaded Z3 with AVX, we love the surf wave!!!
                      My son helped my buddy dial in the wave on his new R20 and said its way better than he thought it would be in comparison.
                      It didn't come with the VX and he surfs goofy to.

It was an in stock 2015 boat nicely equipped and new!! Right about $60,000 plus tax. U.S. Dollar

Comment

60 K seems high for a 2009 RZ2. If you could get it for 50 it would be fair. I could have bought a new 2011 in 2011 with nice stereo and ballast as well as Tige touch and surf bimini on the alpha Z Tower for 65k. I ended up paying more for more options and the color I wanted. I have 400 hours on my 2011 with a PCM and I love the PCM. The R20 is a awesome boat for it's size. You just have to decide which boat fits your needs better. A bigger boat always rides better in rough water.
                        I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

Guys gotta remember for us Canadians right now a 60 k us$ boat is like 90k. So an 09 for 65 can is not that unreasonable as per what the market is right now. It's too much. But that is the market right now. I personally wouldn't touch a salt boat. I know someone who has and it takes its toll and a toll on resale too.

Comment

Working...
                          X