Idol wakesurf boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idol wakesurf boards

Has anyone had a chance to spend some time on the surf style boards Idol makes? The local dealer sells them and I'm considering picking one up but wanted to hear people's impressions. Any information is greatly appreciated.

I've ridden the 4'6" tollie twist and the kahuna quite a bit. I have a custom 4'6" surf-style that Idol made for me 2 years ago that I love, and the Tollie twist rides very very similarly. I like it because it's fast, and easy to turn and pop. What do you want to know specifically?

The kahuna is the larger board for heavier/taller folks, although I've had people ride the tollie twist that were around 180-190 with no problem (depends on skill level). You could message Alex from idol on FB and he could provide recommendations based on your height/weight/skill, etc. He's very helpful.

I'm light for the kahuna but I rode it a fair amount last year, and my buddy loved it (he's around 200lbs).

They have bamboo and carbon versions of both boards too. All of the boards are great quality.
    2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

Comment

I currently have a 4'7" Ronix Carbon Thruster that I just can't seem to get enough speed out of. I changed out the fins hoping it would help just enough. So I was really looking to know if the Idol boards had speed and which board and size would be good. I'm 5'11" and 175, so I was wondering if the tollie would work. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I'm 6'0" and 165-ish and the 4'6" works really well, and is fast down the line. The 4'6" should be able to handle up to around 180lbs comfortably.

Comment

Thanks again for the info, I really want to give the tollie a try. Might check one out tomorrow. Any fin replacement needed?

Comment

I still use the stock fins. Lots of people upgrade but I'm happy with these so far.

Comment

Have you ridden any of the Doomswell boards for comparison?

Comment

I have not. I've heard good things about them. Doomswell had a booth at a comp up here in MN this summer, so I looked them over. They remind me more of my custom board, which is a lot more fragile than the Tollie or Kahuna. Not necessarily a negative, but one would just need to be very careful. I won't put my board in a board rack, but I've put the Tollie and Kahuna in my racks with no issues with pressure dents from the elastic binders.

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Cashman View Post
                  I currently have a 4'7" Ronix Carbon Thruster that I just can't seem to get enough speed out of. I changed out the fins hoping it would help just enough. So I was really looking to know if the Idol boards had speed and which board and size would be good. I'm 5'11" and 175, so I was wondering if the tollie would work. Thanks for the info.
                  Not to take away from your new purchase, but what different fins have you tried in the Carbon Thruster? We have one also.
                  Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

They are Channel Islands FRP mediums. Maybe not the greatest upgrade, but I wanted to see how a medium sized fin that is foiled might change things. Only been out once with them on so hard to gauge the change but in my opinion it wasn't that significant. I only run the outside fins and didn't have them as far forward as possible, so I'm going to try that the next time.

Have you all had the same experience with the carbon thruster? I like the board, so I'm open to suggestions.
                    Last edited by Maurice Cashman; 08-29-2015, 02:38 PM.

Comment

We have just used the fins it came with in a thruster configuration 2.3 on outsides and 2.9 in the center.
                      I am thinking of grabbing a thruster set of FCS PC-7 for our next outing to try them out?
                      Stingreye had that suggestion in post #111 of the linked thread.
                      http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...arbon+thruster

Here is another good thread on fin configuration.
                      http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...arbon+thruster

Comment

Good information. I think I'll try to play around a little more with the configuration and see if something stands out. I've been eyeing the PCS Nexus H-3, but haven't seen any for a decent price. Also looking at the UL-5 thruster set. I believe with the fin box setup the board really can't be configured like a true quad which might be faster.

Being it's my first season out it could have more with me sucking than the board itself! Let me know if you go with the PC-7's and how it goes.

Comment

I will and I will look at the ones you suggested also

Comment

I've ridden the 4'6" Tollie Twist with Futures Blackstixx and it was pretty fast with those fins and me at 6'1" and 195 lbs. At my weight, I had to work it pretty hard to get the speed out of it but it's only a 4'6" board. I got air on it on my very first attempt and had no problems repeating it. I think it's a pretty solid board and at 175, you should be good to go on it. I think you will like it.

Comment

Thanks. I was a little concerned that I have a 4'7" board now that I have trouble getting speed out of and going to another inch shorter may not be a good option. Sounds like I got a good birthday present for myself then.

Comment

Working...
                              X