Tube assist for beginners - youtube link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tube assist for beginners - youtube link

Has anyone tried this? I have been doing this for the past two years and just figured someone else has been doing it.

We all know that the hardest part of surfing is usually getting the rider up. It is fairly simple (deep water start) but with the ones who aren't in the best physical shape or young or in my case (my wife isn't the strongest) the tube gets them out of the water and in the proper stance.

My son's finance went from her first pull on the tube to going wireless five pulls later. The tube takes away all the stress on the muscle groups that one needs to stand up and those new riders can try subsequent pulls without getting tired.

We set the tube rope (75') on the opposite side of the rider on the transom cleat. With the boat in gear I throw a couple of loops away from the boat while keeping the tube on the boat. This insures the rope is fully played out and no chance to grab the prop. With the rider seated on the tube, I place their feet on the board and hand them the rope. My driver puts the boat into gear and then neutral allowing me to check their placement and ensure they are set. In some cases the tube rope gets on top of the board and they get concerned but never has the tube rope interfered with the rider.

I have used this technique about 30 times now and we have a 100% success rate with the first or second pull. This past week I had four new riders and all got up on their first pull; even my 52 year old wife who had two major surgeries this past year. Lastly we only have one person setting up the rider to ensure mistakes are minimized. Once the rider is up the tube just pulls behind the boat which also acts as a safety indicator to those annoying jet ski riders.

Let me know if I am doing something boneheaded but it seems to work.
    Here is the link on YouTube https://youtu.be/-RS8B46PAr0
    Paul Middlemore

Very very creative. Is there any way you have seen that could entangle?
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Great idea

Comment

I have done this, but we dont have a rope on the tube. we just let it float and have a guy in the water with it.

Comment

That's a great idea however I rarely take my tube out with me.

Comment

We normally don't take a tube out unless there are newbies with us. We used to use a concept with wakeboarding but we needed me in the tube to direct the tube away from the boarder. Lots of work and drag on the boat. We then started with the tube unattached; too many times with a newbie having to pickup two items.

The rope has never entangled anyone; but then again only one person is doing the setup and ensures that the tube rope is completely played out. I would say that one must ensure that the rider is either goofy or regular so you know which side to setup. We had it happen once but the rider was able to ride over the rope without any problems.
            Paul Middlemore

Comment

We've done it, but usually only if a newbie can't get up normally. We keep a small one person tube on the boat just for this purpose.

Comment

I have sent this to my 53yo brother who we failed to get up a few weeks back. I said "Mike there's hope yet!"
                Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

I wish I had seen this two weeks ago. My daughter could NOT get up and was pretty sad about it. This would be a piece of cake.

Comment

My youngest starts on her knees and then stands up. I wish I would have thought of the inner tube, would have saved some wipe outs. You may be able to click on the pic to watch??

"Charlie don't surf"

Comment

Great idea...thanks for sharing! My kids will be learning soon & we'll definitely try this.

Comment

Couldn't get the thing to load WYTige? - perhaps it is just me. Been a challenge just uploading youtube videos.

Here is another of my youngest daughter using the tube. She doesn't need it anymore but was nice enough for Dad in allowing to use her as a guinea pig so the newbies could see how it is done. Once again, only one person sets up the rider with some assist from another, handing me the necessary items. By the way, once they fall: I pull in the tube as we are motoring fairly slowly for the pickup, throw out a couple of loops as we are still under way (getting that tube line to play out) pull the tube onto the boat, place it upside down to drain (every now and then it picks up some water) and then retrieve the rider. I get them to stand on the swim platform and rest or talk about what went wrong. Then we do it all over again.

https://youtu.be/w105eJ54iKU
                        Paul Middlemore

Comment

Paul-this is great and I have an old tube like that and now found a new use for it. Last weekend I had several little kids that we couldnt get up. I can't wait to see them again. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great idea, man! always seems like getting people up on any kind of board is 95% of the battle (and 0% of the fun) can't wait to try it w/ the family.

Comment

I too got my daughter up from belly to knees to standing, but this tube thing looks good, thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X