Should a surf board be work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should a surf board be work?

A friend picked up a Hyperlite Quad which we were riding behind my boat. The board is 59" (4,9") and most of us are in around 225lbs. I'm coming from a 5'6" broadcast so the board is a bit smaller and otherwise took a few minutes to figure out. I can ride it fine but, it does take a bit more work to stay in the pocket through. You have to pump the board a bit more and adjust your lean forward. The biggest difference I would say and was a general consensus with the rest was the board wanted to be ridden. It wasn't meant to just sit there and do nothing. It wants to be carved and moved around. We played around with the fin set up to where we all liked it a bit loose but still tracked well. This was the two larger fins in front and the two smaller fins in the back. I don't have a lot of experience with different surf or skim style boards so I don't always know what to expect and what others are doing on their boards. So ultimately, my question is it ok for a board to be a bit more work or are we ultimately riding a board that is too small for us? Again, we could all ride it and it was fun but we were all out of breath and had sore legs when we were done.

Yes, surf style boards want to be ridden, I would say that is especially true of quad fin boards and board with more rocker. Broadcast is more like a really stable and slower skim board.

The board when you pump to speed up to ride towards the boat should feel a lot faster than the Broadcast. It should feel as you come out of the turns on the pump the fins help generate speed. I have the big broadcast and the fins are too small to really give it a surf style pump (at least for me).

I am about 190lbs and ride a 4'10" Bomb Pop. I also rode a 4'8" Triple X Slayer (quad) before I sold it. Both felt faster than the 5'6" Broadcast that I own. It should also feel much more responsive and less forgiving to foot placement vs the broadcast.

Maybe its just me but sometimes when a board feels to small for me, if I speed up the boat a little, the water will firm up a little and it actually seems to float me better. Could all be in my head though.
    Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
      A friend picked up a Hyperlite Quad which we were riding behind my boat. The board is 59" (4,9") and most of us are in around 225lbs. I'm coming from a 5'6" broadcast so the board is a bit smaller and otherwise took a few minutes to figure out. I can ride it fine but, it does take a bit more work to stay in the pocket through. You have to pump the board a bit more and adjust your lean forward. The biggest difference I would say and was a general consensus with the rest was the board wanted to be ridden. It wasn't meant to just sit there and do nothing. It wants to be carved and moved around. We played around with the fin set up to where we all liked it a bit loose but still tracked well. This was the two larger fins in front and the two smaller fins in the back. I don't have a lot of experience with different surf or skim style boards so I don't always know what to expect and what others are doing on their boards. So ultimately, my question is it ok for a board to be a bit more work or are we ultimately riding a board that is too small for us? Again, we could all ride it and it was fun but we were all out of breath and had sore legs when we were done.
      Dave,

The board is SLIGHTLY too small for you guys. She is built for 140-220 lbs
      http://www.evo.com/wakesurf-boards/h...uad-board.aspx

Now this means you can totally ride it, have fun BUT it will be a bit more work (as you presently notice) to stay in the pocket.

As Stingreye recommended, try playing with your speed a bit. If you slow down a bit your wave gets bigger, shorter and the push increases in the larger wave. If you speed up, your push will slightly decrease because the wave gets smaller, but you have a longer play ground.

The Broadcast was good for around 240 lbs. So it will float you guys better but the perfomance is not quite there.

I may have some bigger boards for you to try out that may be able to handle the weight better...

The full blown solution you may not like... Is a custom board set up for your weight and height.

Comment

At some point I may still go for a full custom but I can't justify the money at this point. Especially with our dollar tanking more everyday.

I will try speeding up a bit when I am out this weekend to see how much that helps. Otherwise, there is no doubt we could all benefit from a diet.lol. Although, even my other two friends were under 200lbs yesterday and they still said they had to work it more.

Comment

The HL quad is a poorly done copy of I don't know, someones board.....

You are on the big side for it, and yes it is set up to be pumped/driven, the movement increases the flow of water past/across the fins, and consequently provides lift and speed/looseness.

There are lots of surf style and hybrid boards out there that you will be able to hang in the pocket and ride. You can do this on the HL quad, but you will need to move you rear foot up a lot closer to you front foot, at which point you will be able to hang in the pocket.

You are on the larger side for most board standard performance boards, and don't go by what the vast majority manufactures and dealers have on their websites as far as weight allowances. These are just guesswork for virtually all with no real data behind them. Most just copy other manufactures and play and guessing game.

Nick

Comment

I guess the big question then becomes if we should stick with it and make it work or see if there is another board available that would work better. The shop that it's from only carries Hyperlite & Ronix and would only get an in store credit to get something else.

Comment

At some point I may still go for a full custom but I can't justify the money at this point. Especially with our dollar tanking more everyday.

I will try speeding up a bit when I am out this weekend to see how much that helps. Otherwise, there is no doubt we could all benefit from a diet.lol. Although, even my other two friends were under 200lbs yesterday and they still said they had to work it more.
              Is saving a couple hundred dollars by buying a production board worth you justifying not getting the ride you want out of your 50k boat? I mean you spent how much on your boat, whats the relative cost to a new custom board.?

Comment

I guess the big question then becomes if we should stick with it and make it work or see if there is another board available that would work better. The shop that it's from only carries Hyperlite & Ronix and would only get an in store credit to get something else.
                All the HL and Ronix boards for your weight category are a big floaty longboard that feels like tank sadly

Comment

Well, you can get yourself some better fins and it will be faster and much more responsive.

http://shredstixxusa.com/wakesurffin...-vectored-foil

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos View Post
                    Well, you can get yourself some better fins and it will be faster and much more responsive.

http://shredstixxusa.com/wakesurffin...-vectored-foil

Nick
                    Try this for sure.

We use a lot of futures fins but I am curious to try out the Chaos fins.

Comment

Originally posted by Greeko View Post

I am curious to try out the Chaos fins.
                      x2
                      Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Working...
                      X