No announcement yet.

Opinion needed on new board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are you located? Maybe you could hook up with some fellow surfers and try their boards before you buy one. I tried a ton of different boards before I bought my first one.

Comment

Im located in Lethbridge Alberta, theres not a whole lot of surf boards around here, especially for the bigger guys so its hard for me to "Demo" any boards.

I think I'm going to make a move on the Red Rocket. I know it will be big enough, it will be a good board to learn on and have as a boat board for some of my bigger friends. Im just not sure if the 5'1" Thruster is going to be big enough for me. If I don't like the board down the road I will be able to sell it and get my money out of it for sure.

Comment

Brennen,

It is a tough one. You are at one of those sizes that you are at the larger end for most off the shelf board models (at least performance models), and would gravitate towards boards that are going to be big for you.
        The red rocket is way big for you. The carbon thruster again is big, and yes it plows and is slow. I think I have said it before and Greeko is alluding to it, are you saving money by buying a temporary board for $400, only to spend $600-800 later?

Yes, the exchange rate and custom fees into Canada do add up. It takes your average $800 board into well over $1000.

Hit me back via email. We can probably figure out something that works for you.

Nick

Comment

Hey Brennen,

Didn't see your last post. Get the RR, haggle the price down, and when you are ready for a custom board suited to you and your style, just get back with me.

Happy surfing.

Nick

Comment

Class move there by Nick--I am angling toward his Ringer XL, and likely WON'T sell the Red Rocket even when I get it. So far it has taught 7 people to surf and has tandem surfed 225# me plus a 60# daughter, then an 80# son. The quick tandem with my son showed him how to get up on his own, which was priceless.

I like what I see and hear from Chaos.
            Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

well, here it is, thanks for all your help with this, in the end I figured $380 usd for this board that is in mint condition was too good to pass up.

IMG_0198.jpgIMG_0199.jpg

Now I need to start saving up for a ringer XL.

Comment

Rode the board today.

Holy what a difference a board will make! I could drop the rope with ease, fall way back in the wave, then shoot to the boat. There was times where I was a good 15-20 feet behind the boat, had the wave rolling and breaking over my feet and legs and I still saved it and recovered.

Comment

Hey Brennen. I can't wait to try your new board! Looks awesome. Bimini came in today. I thought the ballast I ordered from chpthrl was there too but as it turns out, the hose and connectors where on his shipment but the sac itself is drop shipped right from Enzo factory. Now I need to go back to Sweetgrass on Friday. Ugh. Let's get out again soon.
                  2008 Tige Z1 Limited Ronix Edition
                  360 hp, Fly High ballast, Alpine, JL Audio, Kicker, Wetsounds audio

Comment

Originally posted by killerbren View Post
                    Does anybody have the 5'1" carbon thruster? Im really curious if that board would be big enough for 235 lbs.
                    I'm late to the party here and just saw this question.

I have the non-carbon 5-1 version of that board (as well as the 4-7 carbon version). We bought the 5-1 specifically for our larger friends to learn and improve, but I use it too when I'm practicing on my offside (goofy) so I know what they're feeling.

In short: It's the absolute favorite of guys in the 230-260 range around here. A big neighbor (6-3, at least 250#) just tried it for the first time after trying a bunch of other boards and instantly offered to buy it from me for cash on the spot. I get similar offers for it all the time.

Yes, it has a pronounced bow rocker but it's FAST FAST FAST. The tradeoff for a guy my size (175#) is that I can't throw it around like I can its 4-7 carbon brother, but that's just logical... it's heavier and longer and has more wetted surface. But it's my first choice when practicing on my offside (goofy) because it's fast enough to allow me to recover from mistakes that would drop me off the back on my regular boards. I think the bow rocker helps with certain recoveries, too. That's how I know how it feels for beginners, because working on my offside is just like being a beginnner again and for someone like me who underweights the board a bit it's perfect for all the basics. **I** won't be getting airs with it, but a guy 225#+ sure could.

The board is definitely a keeper. Maybe not the ideal board for everyone, but for us it's the perfect "learning and big-boy" board. I'd replace it with another just like it if it broke.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetter View Post
                      Hey Brennen. I can't wait to try your new board! Looks awesome. Bimini came in today. I thought the ballast I ordered from chpthrl was there too but as it turns out, the hose and connectors where on his shipment but the sac itself is drop shipped right from Enzo factory. Now I need to go back to Sweetgrass on Friday. Ugh. Let's get out again soon.
                      Ah too bad about that ballast sac, its like waiting for xmas to come! Ya man, the board is awesome, a noticeable difference from your board even. Text me and let me know when you're going next.

Its pretty big, and not the best turner, but we are finding it great to learn on.

Comment

Well, as I was in the same boat* as killerbren being that I was looking for a new surfboard I finally ended up where I thought I would.....On a 4'10" Soulcraft Blunt Nose Honu with boat matching pads.
                        I tried a few different boards just to see what was out there and how differently they all rode and the Soulcraft is by far the best. I may add larger fins at a later point but it's a great start from the old 5'6" broadcast I had. Thanks Greeko for all the consulting!
                        Attached Files

Comment

oh man that is awesome, congrats, I so want to try something along that line as well, like I said I was looking at the doomswell. what is the weight rating of that board? get it from tony? more out there?

Comment

Glad you're enjoying it Bcrider

Comment

Originally posted by Greeko View Post
                              It all depends on how many times you are going to spend $400 until you get a board that works for you *shrugs*
                              Exactly. I spent $300, then $400 a couple times, and finally stepped up LOL. I am also a larger man--6'3" and every bit of 225# with a wet life vest on.

I will say this, my Lakewakes Flying Saucer 53" was $500 delivered, custom made for me (thicker core for my weight), and is a COMPLETE BLAST to ride. Fast, quick. I am loving it. Marc at Lakewakes has impressed me. I also picked up a Bean Hybrid from him for my spousal unit and kids--which they are doing very well with. Really cool boards.

Unabashed plug for Lakewakes. Value priced customs in a couple weeks.
                              Orange is my Big Boy Flying Saucer, Green is my kids' and wife's Bean Hybrid.11825069_1665370410348828_975777988075439349_n.jpg11751437_1665369210348948_1448609590758091378_n.jpg
                              Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

It's a little pricey but the Phase five wire 57 inches is a nice board

Comment

Working...
                                X