Opinions on a new board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on a new board

Looking to add to the repitior of boards. Saw a great deal on a Ronix Koal Powertail 4'11" I think. I'm not the best boarder but looking for something else. I weight about 205 and would like something that is pretty fast. I already have the Byerly Buzz, how would this compare? How about for my kids to start on? Thanks in advance.
    "Charlie don't surf"

How big are your kids?

Comment

The byerly buzz and the ronix power tail are two different style boards. They buzz is a skim ish board and the power tail is more of a surf board. Both are quite stable and good to learn on. What size of buzz do you have ?

Comment

The kids are 11 and 9. I think my Byerly is a shade under 5 ft. I'm definitely in need of a more "surf" style board so that would be good.
        "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

I have the ronix koal powertail, so far its the best board I have rode, but don't have too much to compare too. I am still playing with it, I have def. gotten better I took out center fin, it seems to carve pretty good I can recover from pretty far back, I got the shorter of the 2 boards and I am close to 200lbs. not sure if this helps much.

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas. I didn't end up pulling the trigger but maybe later this summer.
            "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

I love my powertail, I have the 4'5" model. If you are looking for push and speed, check out the Koal Thruster. I ride the powertail when I want to play and the thruster when I want to relax, ride and carve up and down the face of the wave.

Comment

The hyperlite shim is an excellent skim board and very reasonable priced. We use it a lot and love it. I'm within 20lbs of your weight and have no issues with it.
                I rode a phase 5 X model and the hammerhead model a few weeks back and love the feel of them also. They were extremely stable and faster than the shim I own. Problem is they come with a hefty price and I have too many boards now, but one is in my near future!

Comment

I have the 4' 5" Koal Powertail and it doesn't get used any more now that we added a Doomswell Neo 4' 6". For the $600ish price tag on the Koal, i'd give Doomswell a call and go full custom for your weight, height and riding style. Having the flexibility of changing fin setups with Futures Fins has been a game changer for us. Brock will walk you through the process and is a big help.

Doomswell- 409-692-6363

Good luck, and have some fun.
                  -Brandon Lucas
                  Houston, Tx

Comment

Give a shout to Nick at Chaos Surf or Shredstixxusa.com. Custom boards are so much better than the off the shelf boards like the buzz. If you think the Buzz is fast, try a custom. You will think the Buzz is a boat anchor afterwards.

The Chaos sixxer is a great board for almost every application. It has bamboo construction so it looks really nice but overall offers nice drive, good control and loose enough for spins and pops nicely off the wake. The 4'6" will take riders over 200 lbs but if more than that I would go with the 4'8". The 4'8" is ideal for 180 plus.
                    2016 Tige Z3, 2014 Tige Z3
                    2013 Tige Z3, 2004 Tige 24V (Legen....dary)

Comment

Originally posted by loudelectronics View Post
                      Give a shout to Nick at Chaos Surf or Shredstixxusa.com. Custom boards are so much better than the off the shelf boards like the buzz. If you think the Buzz is fast, try a custom. You will think the Buzz is a boat anchor afterwards.

The Chaos sixxer is a great board for almost every application. It has bamboo construction so it looks really nice but overall offers nice drive, good control and loose enough for spins and pops nicely off the wake. The 4'6" will take riders over 200 lbs but if more than that I would go with the 4'8". The 4'8" is ideal for 180 plus.
                      I don't think A custom board is what he needs. They are far too fragile for a family and as a general use board.

We represent Soulcraft and LOVE their boards, so don't get me wrong I am a lover of custom boards! Best way to ride for sure! ..But for their application a custom is just not that suitable.
                      Last edited by Greeko; 06-22-2015, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greeko View Post
                        I don't think A custom board is what he needs. They are far too fragile for a family and as a general use board.

We represent Soulcraft and LOVE their boards...but for their application it is not suitable.
                        x2 on your statement. This is what holds me back from a custom is the fragility! I'm picky as heck with my stuff and just can't have a board around that will dent and scratch and have to be handled like glass all the time!

Comment

That is why I recommended the sixxer over a full custom. The sixxer is far more durable than standard customs. The bamboo is glassed in and makes for a very durable finish that is more dent resistant. It will be very bit as durable as the buzz or power tail and still provide way more performance. It really is a no compromise board.

Also how do we know that a custom is not what he needs? Nothing in the post about durability or not taking care of boards.

Just saying that if you want a good everybody board that performs like a custom but made for more "general" use, the sixxer can't be beat.

Comment

Originally posted by loudelectronics View Post

We are as well, looking for a good board to have as an all around board. Most of the people in our boat run 120-195. I am at the heavy end at 195. Would the 4'6" work well, or are we better with the 4'8". Ideally looking for a quality board for people to learn on and progress. Our daughter is just about 12 and we are starting to see a lot of her friends interested in getting out with us. Thoughts?
                            "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

The 4'6" in a Chaos sixxer or a Flyboy would work well for your weight ranges. The smaller boards are easier to get up on for the lighter weight riders. We have had guys at 220 riding the sixxer at 4'6". The 4"8 does make a big difference though for that weight range. However at 195 and if you know how to surf already the sixxer will work very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X