Why is it so da*n hard to do a 360?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it so da*n hard to do a 360?

The title says it all... Feel like I am beating my head against a wall!

My latest is that I get about 3/4 of the way around then my fins seem to catch and send me off the board.

I agree. I am no expert but I was always told to push down hard on the tail of the board. Then treat the 360 like two 180's. I usually try to go to fast and that seems to work for me.

Good luck!
    "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

For me I find the more I stand tall the faster I spin opposed to being bent over. The reason being when you stand tall you flat spin your board opposed to trying to roll from edge to edge when bent over. You can also use your inside hand by putting it in the wave to help you around. I've gotten around a few times now and rode my first one out the other day. This has been my experience when I do it and I watch my friend do it.

Comment

A couple of observations from an admitted 360 novice:

* 360's seem mostly (to me) to be about edge control. The leading edge of the board is changing during the spin, which means the angle of the board has to CHANGE during rotation. (Strinctly speaking the board stays in the same plane, but from a rider's footing perspective it's shifting.) That takes a fair amount of planning and real-time awareness. Otherwise, the leading edge (that was the trailing edge just a moment ago) catches the water and you're done because rotation stops instantly and the board wants to dive/pearl.

* There seems to be two techniques for 360's. On skim-style boards, which is how I do them, the fin(s) are short enough that they don't cause too much rotational resistance and so you can rotate the board around its center. But on surf-style boards, the fin(s) are typically much longer and have a LOT more rotational resistance. The folks I've watched do 360's on surf-style boards seem to rotate around the fins, probably because it's just not practical to sling those big friction devices in a circle. As a result, the board seems to spin the board around its "tail end" instead of its center. I have not been successful at doing that, but if you watch video in slo-mo the concept is straightforward... basically they drive the tail deep, raise the bow high, and spin the board on its fins. Note that you perhaps don't need as much careful edge control with this approach.

Just my $0.02 as a novice watching better people do tricks I can't do myself!

Comment

They are definitely not easy.

Here is one the first 360s I have made this past winter. Rode out my first one in November or December and the same day rode out multiple ones.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i08MQLDX-L4

This was one of the more difficult ones that I rode out because I lost a lot of speed.

I still have not riden one out on my Tige but I have done several on a buddies boat.

I have done more on my surf style than skim style because I am better at pumping with my surf style. I also have made a couple on skim style but I need to get the spin perfect and in place and have minimal speed loss because I will fall out the back.

If you notice the above video, for my 360s, it feels like I am turning around my hand vs in place. Start your turn then look for the boat, if you are doing it right the board makes the last 180 almost on its own.

I will also say its amazing when you time it right how easy it feels because you end up back in the pocket and don't lose much speed (unlike the video where I had to recover).

Good luck!
          Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Important detail in Sting's video above: He leads with his head. I've found that to be crucial. Note how he's looking ahead of his rotation, his head finishes the spin before his board does.

Nice job!

Comment

Awesome guys...

Comment

Keep trying! The first time you make it, it will surprise you. I thought I would never get one. Then the first one I did I thought was a fluke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Very nice Steve! Both my wife and I are struggling with the 360 as well...

Comment

I feel like I am trying to spin too fast, thus losing my balance toward the end. But when I try to go slow I don't get started.

Good advice on the surf style vs the skim. I have tried on both and highly prefer the surf style.

Comment

I usually make it all the way around but loose the wave. Hyperlite Shim.

Comment

WRT the previous two comments, I have learned the following things that help me:

* Start back on the wave, and be coming forward toward the swim platform when you initiate the spin. This gives you forward momentum that helps prevent losing too much speed, and/or "falling" off the wave, as you spin.

* Lead with your head. I know I said this before, but it was the critical last piece of the puzzle - at least for me.

* As you start the spin, claw the wave face with your hands to increase your spin speed. This accelerates your rotation. Once the board's nose enters the face of the wave your rotation will accelerate even more...

* ...which is why, when you get nearly 360 around, you need to use your hands on the face of the wave to STOP the rotation. Essentially you want to spend as little time as possible actually spinning because that's when you lose forward speed and control over your position on the wave. Minimize how long that lasts and you maximize your ability to stay where you want to be.

Again, I am a novice at this. But these tips, assembled from others and gleaned from various videos, worked for me. I offer them in the hopes that one or more may help someone else too.

Comment

Working...
                        X