How to weight a 2014 Z3 with the VX for Surfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to weight a 2014 Z3 with the VX for Surfing

My Buddy just got a 2014 Z3 with the pro ballast system.
    He is looking for a good starting point for surfing:
    1. Speed
    2. Taps
    3. Filling points for the pro Ballast system
    4. Location and weight of extra bags and people
    5. Degree of list.
    6. Is the setup different for Regular & Goofy.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would do the 1400lbs Enzo in each rear locker, surf prop and make sure the vx is at the correct angle. Empty Boat posted a pic a while back of what it should be and I've surfed that boat and it was awesome
    Usually we do the
    Front 100% both sides
    Surf side 100%
    Off side 25%
    Speed 10-11.5ish that will get u close. Taps 2-4 play with it a bit
    surf till u die.

Comment

waiting for Robers input...... lol

Comment

Originally posted by 18c racing View Post
        I would do the 1400lbs Enzo in each rear locker, surf prop and make sure the vx is at the correct angle. Empty Boat posted a pic a while back of what it should be and I've surfed that boat and it was awesome
        Usually we do the
        Front 100% both sides
        Surf side 100%
        Off side 25%
        Speed 10-11.5ish that will get u close. Taps 2-4 play with it a bit
        How big are the stock pro ballast bags in the back? also how big is the hard tank?

Comment

On a 2014, the in-floor hard tanks in the back are 250# ea and the surf sac is 350# each. Bow ballast is billed as two 400# sacs.

Just note, a Fly High W712 1400# Enzo, will not be a plug-n-play swap for the the OEM surf sacs. The ports are not in the correct spot. You would have to Frankenstein the plumbing to make them plug up.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
            On a 2014, the in-floor hard tanks in the back are 250# ea and the surf sac is 350# each. Bow ballast is billed as two 400# sacs.

Just note, a Fly High W712 1400# Enzo, will not be a plug-n-play swap for the the OEM surf sacs. The ports are not in the correct spot. You would have to Frankenstein the plumbing to make them plug up.
            Thanks, that's good to know about the enzo bags.

Comment

Here a picture of the Boat

IMG_0375.jpg

Comment

Sharp Boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What is the best inclinometer app?

Comment

There is no one magical set up for both sides, currently. Each boat is a little different, but other factors like lake depth and bottom, altitude, and many other factors play into it.

The 'best' waves or really those with the greatest wave height from the Z3 are created with a lot of weight in the back, generally extra steal or lead, or custom bags. Then playing with the taps and speed. What speed you will be able to run and run consistently will have a lot to do with your power plant.

Nick

Comment

18c Racing is right on with setup. I have a 2014 Z3 with pro ballast. The enzo sacs or wake9 sacs will make a big difference. If you have extra people in the boat, it helps to have someone sitting on the corner. Since I don't always get enough people, I put together four small tool bags with 100# of lead in each. Playing around with it this winter, I put one bag in each of the small compartments by the rear deck. Then two bags near the front of the surf side locker. Looks good, just too cold to get in right now.

Comment

So I put together a starting point for a Surf Recipe, what do you think.

Surf Recipe
                        2014 Z3 with VX with Pro Ballast Setup

Additional 400# fat sack under seat & 300# of people ballast on surfside.

Regular: Front sacs full, surf side full, fill opposite side to get 10 degree list
                        Surf speed: 10.8 to 11.2 mph
                        Taps 2 to 3

Goofy: Front sacs full, surf side full, fill opposite side to get 12-13 degree list
                        The goofy wake can sometimes be a bit more washy at 10.8, but cleans up at 11.
                        Surf speed: 11.0 to 11.2 mph
                        Taps 3 to 4

Comment

How much weight is the Pro ballast setup?

Comment

For 2015, Tige states 2300. I think it started out @ 2000 but has expanded.
                            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I think the 2014 Pro ballast was 550's in the front, 350's in back on top of the 250 tanks. The surf only had 400's in front. I demoed a Z3 where the 350's were replaced with W005's & the surf wake was AMAZING.

Demo was both front full, rear full on surf side. Not sure on exact speed or taps, but I want to say 10.6MPH & 3-4 on the taps. This boat did not have VX.

That is the reason I bought a Tige, had been shopping MB, Malibu & Axis up to that point.

Comment

Working...
                              X