No announcement yet.

Wakesurf Board Suggestions - Versatile/Middle of the road/Bang for your buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wakesurf Board Suggestions - Versatile/Middle of the road/Bang for your buck

Hi all

So this past season we got our surf wave dialed in for our new to us 22v. I had a hyperlite broadcast we were using, however it got lifted from the boat at a lake-side marina/bar at the end of the season. As unfortunate as that was, now I have the incentive to spend money on a new one. For our current skill level (comfortable riding, working on 360 and air attempts), I think i'm looking for something versatile in use and not super expensive. We haven't ridden enough to really know if we like surf/skim style, and I don't really want to shell out a ton for a custom board quite yet. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Here's a link to one i've been eyeing. Opinions?
    http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakesurf-b...-2014-4-6-.jpg

IIRC I have ridden my buddies 2011 Koal, it is faster than my Broadcast. He also has a Ronix Thruster, it is a little small for me so I didn't quite like it. The thruster is nice since you can set the fins up in many different options.

Comment

Another vote for the Ronix Carbon Thruster. If mine were stolen I would replace it immediately. There are a couple of lengths so if the smaller one seems too little you can go to the larger one. I'm ~175 pounds and ride the shorter one, and it's like being on a magnetic bearing (read: ultra loose). They are popular enough now that each year's models appear in closeout sales. Last summer people here were picking them up for $300-400 from a mailorder place in Washington State.

Comment

I have a sweet spot pro 2014 model that's been rode maybe 3 times its in perfect condition, it's a sweet board for all levels of riding, pm me if your interested in it.
        surf till u die.

Comment

Inland Surfer TAKO meets all of your needs. We went form the broadcast to the Tako with the same skill level and mindset and everyone loves the board. Comes with two fins but can be configured with three or run a single. Very versatile and fun, fast board. Best of all it wont break the bank.

Comment

x3 for the Ronix Carbon Thruster. Your description above was my exact situation from earlier this summer. I upgraded from the Broadcast to the Carbon Thruster (got it for $300 which I felt was a steal) thanks to advice from WAB and others on this forum. It's very loose as others have noted, but it is that feature that helped me progress from constant wipe out to actually completing the 360. It's fast, easy to ride, offers numerous fin-position options, and is plenty advanced, at least for me. I'm 180 LBS and, although it's a smaller board, I feel like it's a great fit. We hung on to the Broadcast for guests, but the wife and I haven't even considered riding it since snagging the Carbon Thruster. My only word of caution is it's a lot more delicate than the Broadcast... it can't be banged around without incurring noticeable dings are chips.

There are possibly better boards out there, but this is a great option for those not wanting to break the bank.

Comment

I just put up a for sale listing on two of my boards (including the Carbon Thruster) if you are looking used. Also it appear EVO has a blem sale on the newer model of Carbon Thruster:
              http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakesurf-b...oard-blem.aspx

It has the 5'1" also.
              Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I have a koal and used it as a board to try out surf style before popping for a soulcraft. good board and still keep it as the "house" surfstyle board. if you can get it in the sub$300 range, it's a nice board to try out.

that being said, if you can swing sting's offer above, that's a steal for 2 boards and the carbon thruster has been getting great reviews...
                2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Stingreye, That is a good deal for the 2 boards. The only problem is that i'm in South Carolina, just about at far away as possible. Also, I'm not quite sure if those 4'-7" boards are quite long enough to cover everyone that could be on the boat. I was kinda leaning towards a 5 footer to cover people around the 200 lb mark.

That being said, right now i'm looking around at the Inland Surfer Tako and the 2014 Ronix Carbon Thruster. Both seem like they would work fine, just searching around for the cheapest way to get one.

Comment

Hyperlite Shim, love it...

Comment

Originally posted by WHammond View Post
                      Stingreye, That is a good deal for the 2 boards. The only problem is that i'm in South Carolina, just about at far away as possible. Also, I'm not quite sure if those 4'-7" boards are quite long enough to cover everyone that could be on the boat. I was kinda leaning towards a 5 footer to cover people around the 200 lb mark.

That being said, right now i'm looking around at the Inland Surfer Tako and the 2014 Ronix Carbon Thruster. Both seem like they would work fine, just searching around for the cheapest way to get one.
                      Definitely go with the bigger board if you are looking at the Carbon Thruster. I would not recommend that if it was another board but on that specific board, you will want the bigger one for bigger guys.

The Carbon Thruster has a flat rocker and then a huge nose rocker. It seems like when a bigger rider (190-220 lbs) gets on the Thruster that nose rocker can turn into a plow and slow it down.

The blem Carbon Thruster on EVO appears to be a good price. Its a 2014 and its $453 with free ground shipping. (http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakesurf-b...oard-blem.aspx)
                      Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I was in the same boat as you and said if I have 75K in a surf boat what's another couple hundred dollars for a surf board? I have a Broadcast and a 5' Koal. The Koal is better but not by much! I just ordered a custom Doomswell Neo. Won't get to try it until the spring. I'm also down to a couple skim style boards and plan to pick one of those up as well. We will see what happens. Good luck to you!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I ended up picking up a leftover 2014 Inland Surfer Tako for $300 plus tax today at my local watersports shop/malibu dealer. Excited to give it a spin and i'm sure it'll be more than enough to meet our needs. March needs to hurry up and get here.

Comment

Sweet! Have fun and report back how you like it.

Comment

Skurfer Barracuda

Comment

Working...
                              X