DIY NSS Style Wake Plate for 2300V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY NSS Style Wake Plate for 2300V

I had asked around about how to get a good wake-surf wave on this board last week and received some great advice that I should add more weight to the boat. Someone also mentioned delay convergence devices. It's what the new boats are using to make a good wake-surf wake while being able to use equal weighting on both sides.

Some people on that other thread asked me to post my build up. Check it out here. Let me know if it's against forum rules to link to imgur.
    http://imgur.com/a/mNAoo

Here is a youtube video from this weekend testing it out

Overall, I played around with the weighting but found that I probably need more weight still, but it was surfable as is with the plate and the weighting as described in the imgur album.

Are you working toward an electrical/mechanical system on both side?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

For now, i just wanted a proof of concept. I only made one for the starboard side, which gives me a port side wave. Over the winter I plan on CNC cutting the whole thing out of aluminum and rebuilding it. I don't currently have any plans to add the hydraulic rams as they're about $350 each and for right now, it only takes about 30 seconds to deploy or retract. I might eventually make a plate for the goofy side as well, however none of my friends ever ride goofy.

It's all up to your personal preference. That being said, if I were thinking about adding the hydraulic control, I'd want to make it retract at low speeds (<7mph) and high speeds (>15mph) like the factory nautique systems and malibu systems do. The boat is nearly impossible to turn left when picking up a downed surfer at low speeds while the blade is deployed. So far it hasn't been a big issue, but it would be simple enough to design a little control algorithm on a microcontroller using my perfect pass's engage signal.

Comment

Looks pretty cool. One suggestion, you might want to make another blade and leave the notch that you cut out to match the spray pockets in. The spray pockets in the older boats really killed the surf wake. Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the info. In reading up on other forums about other DIY plates, one person who had a stepped hull with the spray pockets had mentioned that leaving the space in his blade made his worse. I will give it a try if I ever make another plate though.

Thanks!

Comment

Since you are going to run a traditional listed ballast setup, have you check out the wave and ballast setup from Surfdad's 23V?
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

My hope is that once I get more weight overall, I will be able to equally weight the boat. I think my problem right now is I didn't have enough weight in order to equally weight so I put all my ballast on port and all my people (just 2) on starboard.

Speaking of surfdad's setup. I did a bunch of searching at the beginning of the summer for his posts on his setup and found so mentions of his weighting scheme but i don't think I was ever able to find exactly what his final setup was on that boat. Any info there would be most helpful.

Comment

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542788

Comment

Wow, that is an old thread!

Keep up the R&D!

Comment

Duncan, just saw your post. We had a custom Enzo style sac made for that boat. It filled everything on the port side from the observer seat back and the entire rear locker. Normally we had people ballast of one 260'ish pounder in the rear corner. Judy, my wife on the surf side, but she is 100 pounds and then me driving. Taps around 4 to start and then we'd just use it to adjust the shape. Speed around 10.8. That was it. No bow weight, no offside weight. Just everything on the port side under the rear locker and under the bench seat.
                    Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

Killer I love it! Please update with what your research yields! A video or photo with a person surfing would help a lot with perspective. It appears in your video that at 10-9.5 with the NSS deployed the wave still curls but at 11 it looked really long though the height was greatly diminished. If I speed up (like 11-12) I can lengthen the wave significantly but sacrifice some height. There are those that have filled in their spray pockets and, as I understand it, this really helps with the wakeboard wake. However, I have seen a thread (but I cant find it) where it was said that it actually reduced the height of the surf wave though. My personal theory on the spray pockets is that they help to drop the hull with less weight, but they produce an earlier convergence in the wave which results in the curl that cuts the pocket short esp at slower speeds. A member on here installed a surf gate setup on his 2300v but disappeared shortly after posting photos of it with no details or pics of the wave

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ht=heavy+chevy

Link to a surfdad 2300v wave vid (I suppose having James Walker rip on the wave always makes it look cooler too):

Comment

Not sure about the dropping vs not dropping the hull with spray pockets. It's principally the same amount of chopped strand mat and polyester resin, just at a different right angle and regardless, it's way heavier than an equivalent volume of water. You are right on the curl developing earlier. Our pocket on that boat was fairly short and there wasn't much that would change it, it seemed to be more an effect of where the water released off the sides of the boat...I can remember likening it to a secondary lip-like effect. We did get a chance to surf a 23V that had filled in pockets. The wakeboard wake lost all of the white riffle effect on the lip of the wake. It was much harder for my poor eyesight to see where the lip formed on a wakeboard wake, but it extended the wakesurf wake and seemed to clean up the face considerably. I can't remember now, though, if they did a hard angle where they filled in the spray pocket, or a more rounded effect. I want to say that they opted for a more rounded blending of the sides into the bottom. Can't tell you why or what affect that would have!

Thanks for posting that old video of James. We had some folks visit from UT, that were extended family of a local TV weatherman personality - Dirk Verdorn from Channel 3. They were visiting for a family function. I wish I could remember their names now! I can remember all the silly details around it, but not the most important thing, who they are!
                        Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

Surfdad Let me just say thanks for all the information and stoke you have supplied on TO! I watched that video a bunch when trying to decide on purchasing my 2300v and then for comparison on my wave setup once I got it.

Great to hear the feedback about filled in spray pockets from a reliable source. I am really hopeful that an NSS or Surfgate can help to lengthen the pocket as that would be far easier than filling in the hull. The idea of bolt on spray pocket fillers in various configurations is also really interesting. So keep up the good work Edozier! I may follow in your footsteps this fall.

Comment

I love the idea of spray pocket filler being the surfgate blade. That would be so slick.
                            Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Looking good! I really like my simple little NSS plate. Wish I could make it the plate larger like yours, but no room under the platform to make it any larger. I didnt notice much difference turning to the left with the plate course, listed it doesn't turn great anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X