Looking for advice on how to get a "surfable" wake in a 2300V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advice on how to get a "surfable" wake in a 2300V

I've spent most of the summer trying to dial in a "surfable" wake on my 2001 2300V and so far I've only been able to get a wake big enough for a 150 pound dude to surf, but the surfable portion of the wave was pretty short.

I've read through several threads on here that suggest different things but for some reason I can't get it dialed in.

Here is my setup as of today:

1100lb sac in port locker
    500lb sac under port side seat (probably filled to 300)
    Everybody except driver spread along the port side of the boat. (Typically between 3 and 5 people)
    GPS PerfectPass between 9.5 and 12MPH (11MPH looks best)
    TAPS usually around 2-3 to clean up wake.

I just find that the wake has no "push" and the only part of the wave that is somewhat steep enough to surf is pretty short and up close to the boat.

I don't have any good pictures of people trying to surf it, however, this is one picture of the boat with the sac configuration from above.

I've tried moving people forward to the Bow but it doesn't seem to have much effect on the wave. Any advice on getting a better wave or is this about as good as it's going to get on this boat. I can try more weight, I just wanted to ask the pros before I spent the money on bigger/more sacs.

Thanks!

Crazy, I would have guessed that would make a great wave. Whats your water depth? Rpms?
    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Water depth is between 14'-25' (Shallow lake/river) and my RPMs to maintain the 11MPH is ~2800-3000 if I remember correctly. I'll also admit that I'm a wakeboarder turned wakesurfer (aging knees) and I'm not a pro at it. I'm also a big guy (270 lbs), so I know going "wireless" is a lofty goal for me. One thing I forgot to mention is the boards I have access to. I've tried a Hyperlite broadcast 5'6" and a Ronix Koal 5'6". The Ronix is the closest thing I've gotten to being able to go wireless since we started trying.

My main reason for asking is that I have never tried to surf behind any boat besides this one so I have NO comparison waves. Also me and all of the regulars on my boat are wakeboarders that know pretty much nothing about wake-surfing except what we've watched and read online.

Comment

You are not running enough weight. Fill that 1100 as full as you can get it. Put another sac on top to fill the rear cabinet. Put another say 400 lbs under the bench seat and put another 1100 lb sac under the helm locker. Place a 400 in opposite locker in front of driver, and another 400 lbs in rear locker. Taps should be around 5-6 likely and speed around 11.
        2016 Tige Z3, 2014 Tige Z3
        2013 Tige Z3, 2004 Tige 24V (Legen....dary)

Comment

I have a 2000 2300V and the surf wave is only OK, but it's pretty easy to ride. A couple of guys who ride are 220 to 230 range. I too have some difficulty getting it to lengthen out. Here's a photo I took of it at the beginning of the season: wave.JPG

Its pretty mellow in the picture because only a friend and I were in it at the time. It gets steeper when we get more bodies in the port corner. That set up is very similar to edozier's and is as follows:
          10.5-11.5 mph (too short much below 10 and past 12 MPH the top gets mushy)
          taps @3-5
          1100 lbs in port locker
          550-700 lbs in the bow
          If we cant find enough people for ballast we put an additional bag on the port side corner. I find the push increases with the TAPS, but it also shortens the sweet spot. I've found additional weight in the bow and increased speed lengthens the wave but sacrifices some wave size.

Comment

Where is the rub rail while at rest (in relation to the water)? Where is it while moving?

Do you have any video of you surfing with the rope? I bet that your wave can be improved but I bet a few tips on body and board position will go a long way to getting you wireless!
            Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Wave aside I think you will have issues if you are 270lbs on a broadcast. You may want to try something like the Inland Surfer Red Rocket: http://inlandsurfer.com/boards/2014/redrocket.htm that is a lot more bouyant for the big boys. I had to ride one like this on my old DD because it just didn't put up enough of a wave. Also looking at your wave it just looks like the boat isn't listed enough. I know on my boat I find 10.8mph to be the usual speed with taps at 4-5. Of course you always can play around to see what makes the best shape for you.

Comment

Did XPJim sell his Inland Surfer Red Tide, it was the precursor to the Red Rocket?
                http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...751#post734751
                Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Thanks for the advise guys. I'm going to go out this weekend and I'll try to experiment with adding some weight to the bow. I'll also try to take some videos of different people surfing it.

I'll post back if we end up going this weekend.

To answer some questions though:

1. That is an insane amount of weight loudelectronics suggested!! 3400 pounds of sac weight not counting people. I'm not even sure my boat would move with that much weight (350 mag mpi). I guess that's where changing props comes into play.
                  2. When weighted, my rub rail is probably 3-4" off of the water at the port side corner I've never watched it at speed as I'm either driving or surfing.

Comment

Loudelectronics is right you don't have near enough weight in that boat. You can either add a bag on top of seats in rear or try some more people for weight. Another option would be to get a hold of chpthril on here and order the z3 rear surf sacs from him which will net you around the 1300-1400 range on one side and put the 750 V sac in front. Those 1100lb sacs don't fill all the way and I doubt you are getting full potential out of them. 3400lbs in that 23 footer isn't that much weight!

Comment

I have an 01 2300v and have a decent wave... so far as I know I have found that this hull does not want much bow weight unless you are running at least 2000 lbs in the rear. I usually run the same setup no matter how many people I have in the boat. I have a custom rear bag from chpthril (~1469lbs and as full as I can get it) which fills the rear locker then runs under the port seat. I will throw a 400 on top in the rear locker and get maybe another 100lbs in it till the hatch barely closes. I have a 650 bow sac that I roll the offside leg under so it does not fill and I get maybe 2-300lbs. From there I let people sit wherever they want and we surf no problem. My best waves concentrate the passenger weight in the rear surf corner and maybe some up front if I notice the boat does not plane out well enough. I usually have 4-8 people in the boat but have gotten a solid wave with just my wife driving and 6 yo daughter flagging. I had a guy surfing last time out who was in the 250+ range and he had no problems surfing on my Ronix Carbon Thurster (4'7) or his P5 Danielo Carbon (XL). The pocket is not as deep as the newer boats I guess but it will be awhile till I am good enough to need a deeper one I will be working on some sort of convergence delay device in the off season to see if I can lengthen it next year.

All regular pics in 20-30' of water, speed 10.5 and TAPS at 3-4. The goofy pic has much less weight on the surf side (maybe 1000lbs) and speed of 10.7, TAPS 3 and was our first attempt on the dark side. I can definitely get a better goofy wave now.
                      colin surf3.jpgVIDEO0098_0000099198.jpgVIDEO0108_0000039409-1.jpg
                      Last edited by surfidaho; 10-01-2014, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks for mentioning DIY surf gates. I've officially fallen down the rabbit hole on DIY Surf Gates. I might try this with one of my remaining weekends before winter.

I like this idea a lot since it involves safer weighting of the boat. At my lake, it's very narrow with lots of boats so the extreme list is always a worry with rollers from other boats.

Comment

So I had some spare time this week and decided to make a poorman's NSS for the boat. Here are the results.

Overall, the wave looked much better and LONGER. I played around with the weighting and speeds a bit and seems that I get a much better wave without adding any additional weight (than my previous 1600 pounds). I tried moving the weight around and it seems it's best when some of the weight is on the starboard side with the wake-plate deployed.

I think next season I'll make it look cleaner and add another 1000 lbs or so.

Let me know what you think. I can post build photos/instructions if anyone is interested. Total build cost me about $60 and 10 hours of time. Also to note: the plate is not attached to the back of the boat except by way of the swim deck. I didn't drill any holes in my boat for this experiment!
                          Last edited by edozier; 10-06-2014, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Nice! I'd love to see the photos/instructions you offered. We have the same boat so I assume I can try the same thing & continue your experiments at Lake Powell in a couple of weeks. :-)

Comment

I've posted up the instructions in a new thread located here. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                              X