RZ4 vs. Z3 surf waves (best case loaded) Req

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RZ4 vs. Z3 surf waves (best case loaded) Req

Does anyone have a best (read: additional/tuned ballast) surf wave VX RZ4 vs. VX Z3 opinion? Pictures? I’m a traditional bow fan and my wife is starting to like Pickleforks more… before I really consider the RZ4 I want to know how comparable the waves are between the two. Min boat length is 23ft due to how we use the boat... so these are my only two Tige options...

Thanks!

I originally was only looking at pickle nose boats from MB, Malibu, supra and then Tige.

My dealer had a leftover rz2 along with the new z1 and z3
    The hull quality from the mold being newer on the Z series was noticeably better and everyone agrees the Z series is better for surfing, how much is subjective though and I'm no expert.

Just thinking that the newer hull design must be an improvement I went with the Z3 and love it with the exception of the motor leaving me stranded regularly.. That's for another post though...lol

Comment

I have had both boats, and weighted many of each. I would rate the Z3 surf wave like a 9, and the 2015 setup a 10. The RZ4 would be like a 6 or 7, which is still a good surf wave, but not the Z3. If you are getting the latest 2015 on the RZ4, it may be better.
      http://wake9.com/

Comment

Whatever ragboy says goes!! Id say 15 z3 also for surf wave. They handle extremely well in chop water if that is what you are afraid of with the 23ft boat. I'd say they will handle better than the rz4 in chop water but haven't been on a rz4 for a few years and know they have changed a bit but don't think it would be that significant.

Comment

I think the RZ4 handles chop fine, but I would say the Z3 is better due to the traditional bow, its dryer. Also, the Z3 has much more freeboard, and less list while surfing, 2 HUGE benefits. The Z3 is even dryer up front than the 24Ve, so its not just a traditional bow vs pickle fork.

Comment

Z3, Z3 and the Z3!!! All the reasons Ragboy mentioned are the reasons. And if you're gonna be in rough water the Z3 hands down. I just sold my RZ2 and bought a Z3. I bought it due to the surf wave, having more freeboard and the traditional bow. If you want a boat that you can surf without sacs on the seats then once again its the Z3.

The wave on the RZ4 is nice and steep, the transition from the trough up the wave is not very smooth and not ideal for skim riding. The top of the wave has more wash than the Z3 and is a bit tougher for tricks that require the top of the wave. Floaters, chop hops and 360's are a little less smooth on the RZ4 wave.

The Z3 wave will be longer, nice and steep with a buttery smooth transition, the top is so smooth you will think you're surfing the clouds of Heaven and the (for lack of a better word) pipe is wider/more shallow. This is something that never really gets talked about, however it can impact your surfing greatly. What I call the pipe is the point between the wave and the flat. You have to list the RZ4 more to eliminate the double lip and wash. This creates a deeper narrower depression in the water and a deeper more narrow pipe. A deep/narrow pipe will grab your nose/heel edge when you venture away from the trough of the wave. Doing things like bottom turns, moving out for a powerful slash or 360 will snatch you're nose and send you to basement sucking water up your nose before you even know what happened.

The RZ4 is a great wave, however the Z3 is a PHENOMENAL magic wave sent down from the Heaven's as a gift to all that wakesurf. Are you gonna be buying a new boat or used one? If you can take both out and surf them with the wave dialed in. Drive them in choppy water and see which one you like better. I'm betting the Z3 will be your choice.

Comment

LOL, great post. I don't say all of that stuff, cuz I think people will think I am just bloviating. We do think it is that good, and dream at night about getting back on it. Its butter, and the latest equipment make the transition even better, and the wake bigger and more powerful.

We are finally going to be moving to another Tige from this one, not sure exactly what yet, but I can tell you that my entire family will cry to see this Z3 go.

This is one of my favorite videos, because it shows the same weighting, but adjusted several ways on both sides, and its short and sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                LOL, great post. I don't say all of that stuff, cuz I think people will think I am just bloviating. We do think it is that good, and dream at night about getting back on it. Its butter, and the latest equipment make the transition even better, and the wake bigger and more powerful.

We are finally going to be moving to another Tige from this one, not sure exactly what yet, but I can tell you that my entire family will cry to see this Z3 go.

This is one of my favorite videos, because it shows the same weighting, but adjusted several ways on both sides, and its short and sweet.

Very cool video and always enjoy seeing a family that surfs together. My little boy turned 1 today and it won't be much longer till he joins our surfing family. Also there is nothing wrong with going Warren Harding style and bloviating on and on. Haha

Also a very good point about the Z3 with the new equipment. The Z3 is always a great choice for surfing because it's the boat that gets all the new toys. I don't know if the RZ4 has any changes coming for next year, however I'm going to the factory Sep 8th and if I hear anything has changed on the RZ4 I'll post anything I'm allowed to share.

Comment

I am pretty sure they are all getting the new shtank, but things do change, so don't count the chickens til. Still, the Z3 is a better platform, the hull makes a more adjustable wave with a great transition IMHO.

Comment

Rag' question for you: How much weight can a stock Z3 with a big block handle?

Question 2: How much weight does it take the Z3/big block/VX to get the biggest wakesurf wave on the planet?
                    my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Comment

We have at different times added weight to make a pretty massive wake. This was at the Tige owners reunion last year:

2013-09-23_21-27-10 by wake9, on Flickr

2013-09-23_21-27-27 by wake9, on Flickr

2013-09-23_21-24-32 by wake9, on Flickr

And then at the end of 2012, before the VX, we did our 5k slam one day where we added an 1100 lb bag to our normal setup. We are planning to do that again, with our latest setup which I think will be the biggest yet, because the new VX actually sucks the boat down and makes a bigger wave.

With up to 5k plus people, and just the 409 and a ACME 1235, it did just fine. I will answer that question better after this last 5k slam we are planning for fun.

Comment

thats' a nice wave!

I see the rub rail isn't that close yet...are we talking crazy ballast when all is said and done?
                        my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Comment

I had never wake surfed before or even been on a wake boat on a wild hair bought a Z3 a couple of months ago. Got everyone surfing for the first time having a lot of fun. Just installed the wake9 bags and surfed with this weekend, completely transformed the wave. Incredible push off the wave with the extra weight. Everyone surfed so much easier. Bottom line Z3 is an incredible boat and with some aftermarket weight which fits under the seats, I just couldn't be happier with this boat and setup.

Comment

to get that rub rail down, with the huge freeboard and only slight list needed, it would probably take over 7000 lbs of ballast and people. The thing is, the wake would be big, but require a speed of probably 14-15 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post

I will shed a few tears as well. Many hours driving that Z3 and has been really cool seeing the differences over the years from the mud flap to all the tweaking of the VX. I would say I was the harshest critic of the goofy side wave and after riding this year you have nailed it is a ginormous fun wave. I would also say from a drivers perspective it is a very easy boat to drive, handles great and I am happy to say I have never dunked that bow in a competition.

Can't wait to see what is next!! Hope I can drive it

Comment

Working...
                              X