Baby Airs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Airs...

Started making some progress with AIRS! You need to pause frame by frame to capture the moment but it counts I was definitely using the wrong technique for the first 2 years of surfing

air_steve.jpg
    Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Sweet! Congrats! Such a great feeling when you first start launching. I learned by using the rope since you have some leverage and balance.

Comment

Heck Yeah Steve - Looking good!!!

Thats about like mine as well - I took a clinic from Chris Kinsey this last week, so I'm hoping his tips will help next lake trip!

What did you change to your technique?

Comment

Originally posted by jslayde1 View Post
        Heck Yeah Steve - Looking good!!!

Thats about like mine as well - I took a clinic from Chris Kinsey this last week, so I'm hoping his tips will help next lake trip!

What did you change to your technique?
        Biggest change..... NO BOTTOM TURN! NO BOTTOM TURN! I was setting up every air by dropping into a bottom turn giving me the perception of speed but then when I turned up the face I had no speed by the time I got to the top.

Visually and mentally, I try to pick a spot on the top of the wave where I want to launch when I am at the back. Then I pump to that spot.

The next part that helped me out was..... "giving up on the ollie". I could ollie in the flats and really felt like that was the key to getting air for me. At my skill level, its not.

Again the ollie killed my speed and the wave didn't have enough firmness for the ollie on top to do much.

All I worry about at the top is violently throwing my arms up (my air is 80% arms), then raise my front foot as much as possible.

If my timing is good, the board just releases from the lip and it feels great.

Things I am working on, rotating the back foot up. I find whipping it seems to work a little better but I am still feeling it out. I don't have anyone airing it out in my normal crew. Myself and my buddy is at the same level as me. We get stoked when we see fins

The other thing I would add, the tips above were things to help me correct for the bad techniques I was doing 1) scrubbing my speed with a bottom turn (it still looks like I bottom turn in the video just not as bad) 2) trying to air out with my feet (in particular the back foot ollie) and ignoring my upper body.

That's what worked for me but I bet others on here have better technique and ideas (and much more experience than me). It just wasn't working for me before. I would love to get a lesson sometime soon!

I can try at some point to dig up the video of my airs before (too much bottom turn) and after to see the difference if I get time.
        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Here is the video version slowed down (otherwise you blink and miss the air!).

Here is the tips that helped me change up from a wakeworld post (I am not the op but read it and it made some sense to try the change).

FRom: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...02868&page=999

Comment

lol glad to see that I'm not the only one who reviews the gopro footage frame by frame!

Comment

Originally posted by Stingreye View Post
              We get stoked when we see fins
              Ha, ha - yeah I hear ya! I feel like I'm about a foot in the air - so I jesture to my wife driving, " how much" and she holds up her fingers to show "about an inch"!! *&^%%^&

My timing is a big issue with my airs - I either try to pump to many times or try to lauch to early. Its starting to come together though!! Hopefully I will be getting a foot soon!

Comment

Originally posted by shawndoggy View Post
                lol glad to see that I'm not the only one who reviews the gopro footage frame by frame!
                Got that right.... although I think my ego would do better without the video evidence

Comment

Ha, ha - yeah I hear ya! I feel like I'm about a foot in the air - so I jesture to my wife driving, " how much" and she holds up her fingers to show "about an inch"!! *&^%%^&

My timing is a big issue with my airs - I either try to pump to many times or try to lauch to early. Its starting to come together though!! Hopefully I will be getting a foot soon!

What tips did you get from Chris Kinsey? Definitely put up some pics/videos of the progress and let me share your stoke!

In all seriousness, I think I need to invest in some bright orange or green fins.....makes the 3/4" airs more noticeable

I am stoked that I am starting to see progress. For a while I didn't feel like I was getting any better.

Anyone else got any tips to improve from the video?

Comment

What tips did you get from Chris Kinsey? Definitely put up some pics/videos of the progress and let me share your stoke!

In all seriousness, I think I need to invest in some bright orange or green fins.....makes the 3/4" airs more noticeable

I am stoked that I am starting to see progress. For a while I didn't feel like I was getting any better.

Anyone else got any tips to improve from the video?
                    Ha ha, yeah I will for sure - however we don't have very many videos yet (no gopro yet - Christmas present coming soon!)

Well, Chris actually had me come down the line more (no Bottom Turn) with a little more ollie off the top. Two pumps and go with more force off the top. Then we worked on 360's

Comment

I had the same issue, with bottom turn. once I figured that out I got better at airs. I too am trying to get my feet higher up for more air. It seems like the pros do more of an arch on their airs.

Comment

Sweet pic! Nice Air! Boosting!

Comment

Alright Stingreye - finally was able to get the wife to take some video while I was surfing - she doesn't like to run the camera and drive at the same time...

Even thought the angle is wrong and its taken with a phone, you can still see FINS!! (if you look closely)

It is absolutely starting to feel better - I hate that the season is pretty much over. I can't wait for next summer.

FINS.jpg

Comment

Alright Stingreye - finally was able to get the wife to take some video while I was surfing - she doesn't like to run the camera and drive at the same time...

Even thought the angle is wrong and its taken with a phone, you can still see FINS!! (if you look closely)

It is absolutely starting to feel better - I hate that the season is pretty much over. I can't wait for next summer.

[ATTACH]38528[/ATTACH]
                            AWESOME!! I see both fins and daylight under the tail!

That's legit! I can't believe how long it took me to get the board out of the water!

Nice wave, especially from that camera angle.

Comment

Nice wave, especially from that camera angle.
                              Thank you, thank you very much - I definitely cannot complain about our wave. I would love to have a new boat, but its hard for us to justify that kind of money when this boat produces a wave the way it does.

LOVE LIVE THE V!

Comment

Working...
                              X