Wakesurf board forum wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wakesurf board forum wanted

I was recently on the market for a surf board and have searched everywhere for reviews and opinions on boards. I know that it has been asked and discussed on here a few times, but it takes hours of reading to find the actual rating or majority opinion of users. I read a few other reviews on malibucrew etc just to find what I needed. Any how is it possible for Matt (sorry to make more work for you) or someone on here to head up a special forum where we can add a board to the main list and review it, and every member has the opportunity to rate it in a few categories. Not necessarily write a review for each, but have set categories to rate 1-5 that way it makes shopping easier? Make it like the polls forum we have or such. Just my thoughts maybe someone else has thoughts on this?

I am open for ideas, maybe a forum called board reviews or something along the lines of that?

Comment

We provided board review info as part of Southern Surfest; http://southernsurfest.com/?page_id=17

About 20 riders provides rating info and comments so this might help.

Comment

That sounds like a terrific deal matt sorry to make more work for you I just think it would be a very helpful deal for everyone in the boating world. I would say to keep it biased and keep emotions out of it make it more of a 1-5 type rating to keep opinions out of it and have several categories for each board. Have a way that ppl can either submit their board brand to you and you post on board or can post directly to it as long as board hasn't been submitted. Possibly allow slalom ski and wakeboard reviews also?

Board brand, model, length, surf or skim, skill level of boarder(s) possibly several sub headings for this and approx. weight of rider

Then perhaps sub categories like:
        Speed, braking
        Stability
        360, pops, ollies
        durability or craftsmanship quality
        wake size recommended for board
        perhaps an approx. price

Just some thoughts I have hopefully others will chime in. Again thanks for listening matt.

Comment

Originally posted by jbort View Post
          We provided board review info as part of Southern Surfest; http://southernsurfest.com/?page_id=17

About 20 riders provides rating info and comments so this might help.
          jbort thanks that review helps and is kinda what I'm thinking for the TO site. It is great review setup with lots of info. I would like to see some cheaper/starter brand boards posted as well with reviews. I know there are several non custom boards out there that give a terrific ride and would like to see them get the credit they deserve and allow the consumer to pay a little less than a "custom" and get the same ride.

Comment

Originally posted by JLG View Post
            That sounds like a terrific deal matt sorry to make more work for you I just think it would be a very helpful deal for everyone in the boating world. I would say to keep it biased and keep emotions out of it make it more of a 1-5 type rating to keep opinions out of it and have several categories for each board. Have a way that ppl can either submit their board brand to you and you post on board or can post directly to it as long as board hasn't been submitted. Possibly allow slalom ski and wakeboard reviews also?

Board brand, model, length, surf or skim, skill level of boarder(s) possibly several sub headings for this and approx. weight of rider

Then perhaps sub categories like:
            Speed, braking
            Stability
            360, pops, ollies
            durability or craftsmanship quality
            wake size recommended for board
            perhaps an approx. price

Just some thoughts I have hopefully others will chime in. Again thanks for listening matt.
            I would like one last piece of data, "are you a rider, rep, or any way affiliated with the board company?" I like to know if the reviewer may have some bias (free/discounted boards) etc. I have noticed on another forum, a new board company will post they are looking for reps then two weeks later there are people posting about the greatest board ever and... surprise surprise they are a rep for the company. It really isn't bad at all here. I actually like it when Chaos posts or surfdad. Its usually very clear that they represent a board company and their advise is usually more than "best board ever".

Approximate price is must. The Demo Carbon Thruster I got for $400 and many got for $300 is a KILLER deal for that price and is better than most boards at that price. However, at 700-800, its less a clear cut answer when you should then compare it to custom boards.
            Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I was recently on the market for a surf board and have searched everywhere for reviews and opinions on boards. I know that it has been asked and discussed on here a few times, but it takes hours of reading to find the actual rating or majority opinion of users. I read a few other reviews on malibucrew etc just to find what I needed. Any how is it possible for Matt (sorry to make more work for you) or someone on here to head up a special forum where we can add a board to the main list and review it, and every member has the opportunity to rate it in a few categories. Not necessarily write a review for each, but have set categories to rate 1-5 that way it makes shopping easier? Make it like the polls forum we have or such. Just my thoughts maybe someone else has thoughts on this?
              This is interesting you are asking for this.... Wake Mojo is being launched this Friday with pretty much what you are asking for... wakemojo.com will include all boats, boards and gear specific to wakesurfing

Comment

meant to say next Friday, Friday before Labor Day weekend

Comment

Originally posted by st68 View Post
                  This is interesting you are asking for this.... Wake Mojo is being launched this Friday with pretty much what you are asking for... wakemojo.com will include all boats, boards and gear specific to wakesurfing
                  That's amazing! thanks for info this will be an asset for everyone in the surfing industry. It appears that you will be able to login and post on the site so hope it will help anyone on the market for a board or possibly generate new sales for people like me that don't necessarily need but if enough info looks good on a product will purchase. Hopefully it is a site for riders and not vendors as all vendors tend to talk up their product and in most cases isn't the actual truth. Do you have anymore info on the site, or are you part of the group putting it together?

Also, Matt you're off the hook for now but thanks for the interest in this!

Comment

That's amazing! thanks for info this will be an asset for everyone in the surfing industry. It appears that you will be able to login and post on the site so hope it will help anyone on the market for a board or possibly generate new sales for people like me that don't necessarily need but if enough info looks good on a product will purchase. Hopefully it is a site for riders and not vendors as all vendors tend to talk up their product and in most cases isn't the actual truth. Do you have anymore info on the site, or are you part of the group putting it together?

Also, Matt you're off the hook for now but thanks for the interest in this!
                    I am part of the group that has been working on it... saw the need as it doesn't exist. We are not industry people so we are 100% unbiased which is a huge point of why we are starting this... like you said it is hard to get info and when you do get info it has either some bias to it or there are other issues... so the forum aspect is a challenge as some industry people will disguise themselves and a board or boat all the while with the motive of promoting who they represent. Or they do not disguise themselves but only give you one sided info... the way we are handling this is not to allow a forum but to allow someone to submit a review and allow us to quality the info... and have a collaboration of several review boards, boats, etc and publish a consolidated review of each on the website. We think this will keep the info pure and without bias. We will not be selling any products or anything... and really the heart behind it is to someone can be more informed on stuff so they make better buying decisions which will ultimately lead to more fun on the water with friends/family. We have been quiet leading up to this but are on the last leg of completion.

Comment

I knew ST68 would jump in about WakeMojo........its been underway awhile..........so look for that (yep I helped)

Comment

This is terrific guys and thanks for all your hard work and dedication with the surfing community. It seems you guys have put some crazy man hours in to figure all aspects of it out and will really pay off for guys like me. Again thanks and will continue to check in on your site

Comment

Scott and crew are making some good strides with Wakemojo. I hope to find more time this fall to provide more feedback. It should and ideally will be a great resource.
                          Key to their success is getting manufactures to provide basic board information, or at least having it available on line. Down side of any review is no two riders ever really feel the same about a board, and even board models that are ideally the 'same' are not necessarily the same.
                          Lot's of little factors during the build process can change the ride of a board.
                          Vetting the reviews will also be key, as there are a lot of people with an axe to grind in this world.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                          X