wakesurf board lanyards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wakesurf board lanyards

Ok so I am tired of swimming to my surf board after I fall and was wondering why they don't put lanyards on them just like ocean surf boards? I wouldn't see how it could be any different. Perhaps there is a possibility of them hitting the rider etc, and maybe this has already been a topic on here and I just didn't find it when I researched it. So enlighten me please!!

I think of swimming for the board as good exercise

I would not want to mix a tow rope and a lanyard. Tow ropes already scare the heck out of me.

Edit: you wanna talk swimming for the board? I have an old Slingshot wakeboard that I mounted surf traction on and ride binding-free on a fast long line. When you fall with that, the board skitters away at least 10+ yards most every time. Those swims in a pfd are exhausting.
    Last edited by Duncan; 05-12-2014, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Ocean surfing when you bury the nose, you have to remember to stay under water a few seconds or else risk getting hit in the head with the board. As an old reaction as my PFD floats me up after doing the same on a wakesurf board, I cover my head but the board is usually really far away. I think the leash snaps the board back at the rider when you bury the nose. That's just a guess. I have never seen a board come near a wakesurfer's head after a wipeout yet but it is very common in the ocean.
      Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I've been bonked in the head and seen it happen to others too. Luckily it wasn't the point of the board but it can happen. I also think the leash would slow the board down too much and make it difficult to stay in the pocket, as well as many of the spin tricks and the airs. I also think it makes us wake surfers look a little less wimpy compared to ocean surfers since they have to paddle out to the break and paddle into the wave. We float with a life jacket and get pulled out of the water to catch the wave so I don't mind swimming for the board at all.
        2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
        2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Good to know Ewok! I will keep up the head covering and tell others to cover up too.
          Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Leashes cause drag, and they have a tendency to get tangled up, a lot. Some of us put leash plugs on board just out of habit and too because we might want to ride the board in the ocean as well. There is a big difference between chasing/swimming after a board in the ocean versus 10-20 yards on a lake.
            By choice, ask any surfer and they would rather go without a leash. We use them when necessary. I do not use them on smaller clean days, but when it is big and rough, I definitely use a leash.

As far as board popping back at you because of the leash, probably not a concern. Boards hit people because of the wave not the leash in general.

JLG, they make stick-on-top leash loops is you want to give it a try.

Comment

What everyone says makes sense. I also didn't give any thought to the possibility of it getting tangled in the prop. Probably not a problem while going but definitely before getting started. I guess for now I'll swim or learn to not fall!

Comment

If you really want to add a leash, you could consider a coiled leash. We use Posiden coils on our SUPS, great product, comfortable wrap and coils fairly tight. I placed a link to the Posiden leashes below. If interested, let me know and I can get you a deal as my wife's business sells them.
                http://poseidonstandup.com/SUP-Leashes.html
                "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Hey thanks dandy will consider that option. I think the key is to keep the board between me and the water and no swimming would be necessary!! or at least try to

Comment

Working...
                  X