Southern Surfest - wood boards arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southern Surfest - wood boards arrived

Here are some incredible looking boards from Wakewood for Southern Surfest event next weekend in Atlanta GA. Awesome boards and we get to ride them too. Oh Man!!!

Well there is a first for everything I suppose!! Fedex was glad to see the the pick up for this big box because they all thought it was a casket!! Look at these beauties from Wakewood!! These boards look awesome... can't wait to ride them... first class all the way... and you can ride them too... southernsurfest.com

big box1.jpg

wood boards 2.jpg

woodbd3 longie.jpg

skimmr style wood4.jpg

pretty cool

5th from the left would make a nice coffee table

question is what kind of wood and how much do they weigh. Flex?
    my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Comment

The boards range from 6 lbs to 9lbs. Most of them are closer to 6.

The woods are Cedar, mahogany, poplar, and bass wood.

They do have a decent amount of flex and being wood it is much more natural flex than composite boards.

Originally posted by MooseX View Post
      pretty cool

5th from the left would make a nice coffee table

question is what kind of wood and how much do they weigh. Flex?

Comment

Wood is good. Lol. I will be interested in how people like them. Have fun guys.

Comment

we used to make skim boards outta' whatever wood. great fun but nothing as nice as these. maybe they're cheaper than modern boards (that wouldn't be hard to do)
          my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Comment

Would love to know the cost of these and how each rides compared to composite boards. You are going to give a full report...aren't you?

Comment

Yes we will have a full report I am finding a lot of curiosity out there which is great... have some muscles to heal and sleep to get.... but plowing ahead with trying to get all of this compiled for all to see!! So the wood boards... before I tell you the price as they are higher than most... I will tell you the initial feedback as it was obvious... and by the way there was truthfully not a dud board company present as all had positive reviews... and as has always been the case it comes down to personal preference, budget, riding style, wave quality, etc... which is what makes our event fun (and Polar Bear, Synthetic Swell and now I saw a boardfest event in Utah coming up too). The wood boards were a hit for sure... they are doing something unique by making a hybrid board out of real wood. Hybrid meaning it is in between a surf and skim board... they think but not as thin as a skim... what we found is that skim riders loved it and surf riders loved them... pretty much across the board... the boards are on average 6 lbs which is light for wood but heavy if you are 12 years old... but surprisingly performance was extremely high... and let's just say I observed several tug of wars of these... it was pretty funny to watch. More to come for sure on these and the others. The guys who are making these boards are 100% quality guys... and they are craftsman, it takes a lot of labor to build these boards... people also loved the classic look too... so they loved their longboard, the Big Cheese, the Morning Wood, the Beave, the Chubb, the Sputnik and they also had a 1/2" thin board prototype that was very popular too... their boards fit in wakeboard racks as well So that is more than I thought I would type for now.... now for the price... this was the biggest pill for people to swallow... Most boards are $800 to $950 But in my opinion... if you it is in your budget... it is well worth it. So there you go... that is the first skinny off the press!!

Comment

Working...
              X