Cascadia Board Co.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cascadia Board Co.

Has anyone tried a Cascadia wake surf board before? They are an ocean board company just starting in to wake surf boards. Prices look reasonable. I like that they are a Canadian manufacturer.

Alright I'll be the guinea pig. A local online retailer was clearing them out so I bought one for the wife. It's a small 48" skim style. Carbon fiber though.

So far my son is enjoying it.

For myself I think I want to try a Ronix Carbon Thruster and a Phase 5 Trident. Spring can't come fast enough.

Comment

Well, they may be operating in Canada, but all their boards are made overseas in China. Not really a surf company, no real background or history, just a group that decided to import SUPs from overseas sticking their logo on them and then expanded their offerings to other board types.

Comment

Where did you learn that? I googled the company extensively and didn't see that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos View Post
          Well, they may be operating in Canada, but all their boards are made overseas in China. Not really a surf company, no real background or history, just a group that decided to import SUPs from overseas sticking their logo on them and then expanded their offerings to other board types.
          This could be true, I have no reason to doubt, but if it is, whos shape are they importing? Most of the boards are probably made overseas, but the quality shapes are designed here by a reputable known surfer/shaper.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Took this picture of the board:

I don't really care where it'd made to be honest. Thailand is fine. I care about how it surfs. If at one third the price of the high end boards this will work for kids.

Comment

No doubt, and if it works for you then great. I was just implying do not hang you hat on the 'manufactured in Canada' part. That is all.

Yes, in the past, basically all boards made overseas were specifically designed by reputable shapers. However, with the growth of overseas manufacturing there are literally 100s of shops offering boards across Asia alone; basic model that anyone can buy and even have specialized with colors and logos if they want to pay enough or by a high enough MOQ. Yes, your bigger established companies still send specific models to be duplicated overseas, that were produced by a master shaper.

I know this having seen Cascadia pop up on the market a few years back, and having been involved in the industry for nearly 30 years, and seeing these same models in the catalogues offered by the manufactures, not just the wake stuff, but their surfboards and sups. They are best suited for rental fleets and schools.

Here is truth, 'designed', 'created', 'developed', etc., etc., these are all nothing but marketing illusions.

Comment

Cascadia Owner

Hey Guys,

Just doing some late night poking around on the interweb and found this... thought I could clarify a few things direct from the horses mouth, being mine, I own Cascadia.

- You are correct, our wake surfs are made overseas, the exact country is detailed on the boxes they come in, and the tags on the boards
                - I spend the winters in Asia building boards, and I love the factory's and I love the people I work with.
                - The "marketing illusion" of "Designed on Vancouver Island" may be just a marketing illusion. Our boards are designed where are shapers are located, most of which have ties to Vancouver Island. The compression molded composite board shown in the picture above was actually shaped by me... in Australia on my laptop.
                - Also, just for clarification, we started making wakesurfs (in Canada might I add) before SUP's... probably made the first one in about 2000 while building skimboards for another brand.
                - It may look like we came out of nowhere, but we've been building boards for about 15 years.
                - Everyone involved is 30 or under, so we are still relatively new, but keen as.
                - We try to keep our prices low by not having a team, expensive marketing, not having a glamorous website and so far it seems like people appreciate the deals!
                - Our products (not just wakesurfs) cover a huge spectrum of performance not for just "rental fleets and schools" although we make a banging molded rental surfboard!

Lastly and most importantly, we're proud to offer the products we have over the years, they have all been designed and built for us or by us, based on the riding we like doing.

Chaos, if there's another company out there with the same shapes/layups/designs as us, please let us know.

If anyone wants to know anymore about the brand/company or how we operate, please feel free to hit us up through the website.

PS: If anyone is in Victoria BC and wants to go for a burn, we have a fully stocked quiver!

Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from owners who genuinely care about their customers and their brand reputation.

We've used the board a bit this year, although my wife is still saying the Tige wave is too big! She doesn't like going over 9MPH believe it or not. Amazing how that creates a short/steep wave However she likes the little Cascadia board. It is super light weight, extremely durable, and holds its own with the more expensive boards. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I found one in my 250lb weight category that surfs well for me.

I also got the Phase 5 Trident this year and barely use it. I think I've learned that I need to try a board before I buy it. It's hard to decide without using one. I spend all my time on my 4 year old Ronix Koal that I patched together with epoxy.

Comment

I've saw these for sale on kijiji in Calgary and thought about picking one up to give it a try. I'm always blown away by board prices when I start shopping and these are rather inexpensive by comparison. I'm not one to get hung up on the " made in Thailand" thing. Pretty sure my new Ronix is made in China and so was my old Liquid Force. They both work great too.

Comment

I bought mine from that dude on Kijiji. Nice guy. Has his own watersports website. I'd just make sure you get a board that is big enough. My wife is 110lbs and she can still dunk this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
                        Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from owners who genuinely care about their customers and their brand reputation.

We've used the board a bit this year, although my wife is still saying the Tige wave is too big! She doesn't like going over 9MPH believe it or not. Amazing how that creates a short/steep wave However she likes the little Cascadia board. It is super light weight, extremely durable, and holds its own with the more expensive boards. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I found one in my 250lb weight category that surfs well for me.

I also got the Phase 5 Trident this year and barely use it. I think I've learned that I need to try a board before I buy it. It's hard to decide without using one. I spend all my time on my 4 year old Ronix Koal that I patched together with epoxy.
                        Sorry to hijack the thread with a question. I was thinking about a Trident. I'm you same size and now I'm second guessing buying one. What don't you like about it. I really want a big guy skim board. I ride a 5' ronix koal right now as well.

Comment

the one board with the jr. standing on it looks alot like a Danielo Diamond. I like the black... How much does that one go for? does it come in a 4'6"?

You guys are all under 30 and have been building boards for 15 years? You started the company at age ?....
                          my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Comment

@RZR

I'll preface by saying I'm a novice and I'm surfing a stock wave at my size. Basically I find the trident to be slower. My koal is longer (5'6" ) and narrower. It seems to move me faster and I don't lose the wave as much. Secondly, the trident is flatter while the koal curves up in the nose. I tend to bury the trident more often - thus ending my ride.

One other note - the trident has a ridge down the middle. I like it, but I've had others say that ridge hurts their feet. (i.e low arches)

I won't knock the trident as I think I may grow in to it. If I had it to do again I'd go with a Ronix Carbon Thruster.

If you are looking for a skim board, the trident might be what you want. I probably need a surf style for the time being.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by JohnnieMo; 08-27-2014, 05:17 AM.

Comment

@Moose
                              I paid CAD$300 for the board in the pic.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X